Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer work in EU for certified teacher?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coffeeman79

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Summer work in EU for certified teacher? Reply with quote

Hi all -

I'm currently a US certified teacher working at an international school in South Korea and because I have this summer off, rather than just travel I'd like to work in Europe. I've never been before, and so it would be a way for me to see if I would potentially like to work in Europe or any of the countries I mention below before just going sight unseen in a few years when my contract in Korea is finished.

I wouldn't mind teaching ESL but I was wondering if there were any very reputable agencies or places that I should check into. Or just any other tips about finding legitimate places to work.

I have Spanish citizenship so I should be able to work legally, and I'm interested in working in Spain, Italy, France or Portugal for about 4-6 weeks starting in late June.

Does anyone have any tips for me?

Thank you in advance!
bograt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find most summer school work going in the UK. In the countries you've mentioned things get very quiet in the summer months.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Summer work in EU for certified teacher? Reply with quote

If it's just for 4-6 weeks, why not look for volunteer opportunities -- even non-teaching ones?
coffeeman79

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not interested in volunteering.

Shame it will be not so busy during those months.

I would also be willing to work in Norway/Denmark and Germany, if anyone out there has any advice.

Thanks!
bograt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have you got against the UK? Just curious.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coffeeman79 wrote:

This topic has discussed a few times on the general discussion forum. Take a look at Summer work.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find the same situation all over the continent; there won't be much work going in north, west, central, or south. Check on the Russia forum for East, but I am doubtful it's different there.

This is because
1. The European job market is simply a great deal tighter than anything in Asia overall. There is competition for all jobs.
2. Europeans take summer holidays. There is less regular work.
3. (2) implies that the local teachers compete for whatever is going in July/August. Given the choice of hiring someone already local and with a known reputation over someone from abroad, the employers will logically give precedence to local hires. Since wages are generally relatively low for teachers across the region, few local teachers are well enough off to take a lot of summer holidays themselves, and are motivated to grab whatever summer school gigs come up.
4. While there are summer schools on the continent, many students prefer to study in Anglophone countries. The UK, US, and Canada all do a bustling summer school business - I assume that Australia is the same. This is why previous posters are trying to steer you to the UK.

If you are committed to teaching in Europe after Korea, keep the very different job market in mind. It's rare to find any contract from abroad, though you might get lucky. Most contracts are Sept/Oct through June. And regardless of your qualifications, there is significant competition especially in the international school and university sectors. The last opening I advertised (requiring related MA + experience in the European region) attracted well over 30 qualified applicants (plus uncounted unqualified ones).
I don't want to imply that you won't find a job, but it is pretty common to have to come over, choose a city, get started in an entry-level gig, and build your local contacts, language skills, and reputation before finding one of the relatively fewer the better jobs.
And salaries will not be equivalent to those you are enjoying in Korea.
coffeeman79

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
coffeeman79 wrote:

This topic has discussed a few times on the general discussion forum. Take a look at Summer work.

Thanks for the link! Spiral78, international teaching is a bit different hiring process as you often do get a job before coming over, even in Europe. In fact I don't think I would even go before getting a job.

I've gotten job offers in the EU for teaching at international schools, but it just wasn't the right timing. Perhaps what you say is true for TEFL teachers however.

You are unfortunately right about the salaries, but there is more to life than just money Smile
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware of the international school hiring process, and I know that it is different from TEFL, particularly if you are certified to teach STEM subject/s. My point was that there are fewer job openings across the European region, and it often happens that certified teachers seeking int'l school jobs don't find what they are looking for - or where - inside their ideal timing windows.
You'll probably be aware that some percentage of the int'l school job adverts out there are for display purposes; the actual jobs very often go to (qualified) locals or those with local connections.

(I don't teach EFL myself, btw).
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wouldn't mind teaching ESL but I was wondering if there were any very reputable agencies or places that I should check into. Or just any other tips about finding legitimate places to work.

On another note, is it correct that you don't have EFL related qualifications, even an entry-level certification?
That would also be a consideration for summer EFL gigs; it would make you less likely to be competitive for jobs.
coffeeman79

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:

On another note, is it correct that you don't have EFL related qualifications, even an entry-level certification?
That would also be a consideration for summer EFL gigs; it would make you less likely to be competitive for jobs.

I have an ESL endorsement added onto my US teaching license.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: