Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some observations on teaching EFL in Paris

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paris teacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Some observations on teaching EFL in Paris Reply with quote

I am an American with an EU passport (Ireland, thanks to parentage!).

I'll share with you how I got set up here.

Before arriving, I booked a room at a boarding house called La Residence, which is located in Savigny sur Orge. Although reasonably economical, I do not recommend it as it is in very bad shape. There are other short-term options available, so you shouldn't accept sub-standard lodging, especially if it is outside the city.

I found work within two weeks by scouring the classified ads in FUSAC, Craigslist, and les pages jaunes. I found several language schools with openings that September, plus a private college that was hiring. I was hired at the language school at a starting salary of 20 euros per hour, however commuting time is not compensated and one is not provided with tickets restaurants. For the most part, they have been good about giving me sufficient hours and they always pay on time; the downsides are the long commutes and isolation from other teachers as most teach on site. It can be a problem scheduling lessons for 20+ students who are available at select times. The school gives me a lot of autonomy concerning what I do, and for that I am grateful. Most of the students are very agreeable and many have an intermediate level and want to have corrected discussions.

The private college where I work pays 40 euros per hour and offers me two classes per semester. Once again, I am given a fair amount of autonomy. Some of the students are not very motivated and behave like high school students. There is no textbook at this time, so that can be good or bad. Good in that I have control over lesson planning and can be creative; bad in that it generates a lot more work.

This year I have branched out into giving private lessons and have had up to five students at a time. Remember, though, that lessons get cancelled quickly and this is not a reliable source of income, although there is a fair amount of demand.

Apartments are extremely hard to get in Paris. If you don't earn 3 times the rent, you must have a "garante," and if you are not from France, this can present problems. I was able to get my little studio by personally negotiating with the owner and leaving a large, untouchable deposit. I believe some banks can serve as a garante. You could try locapass. The competition for housing is stiff here, and prices within the city are extremely high, sometimes devouring more than 70% of your income per month. You can economize by living in the suburbs, but it's a longer commute and many suburbs offer a low standard of living.

Paris is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful and stimulating cities in the world and I am very lucky to have lived here, but do think twice about your long-term situation if you want to teach here. Personally, I think EFL is good if you're semi retired or married to someone with a good income. Struggling on your own can be draining, and no amount of architectural beauty can make up for that fact. Many teachers just get by here. You may not mind that now, but think about what you are setting yourself up for in your old age if you will only receive a tiny pension and will never own your own property.

I am considering working in the Middle East for a bit, saving a large amount of money, and then coming back to France to buy a small apartment, so that I can have that security for my old age.

Paris is magnificent, yes, but think of the long-term financial implications if you want to relocate here.

If you have any questions, I am here to answer them for you to the best of my ability. This site has helped me a lot, so I want to give back.
kpjf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Some observations on teaching EFL in Paris Reply with quote

Paris teacher wrote:

I'll share with you how I got set up here.

Thanks for your observations Paris Teacher!

Quote:
I found work within two weeks by scouring the classified ads in FUSAC, Craigslist, and les pages jaunes. I found several language schools with openings that September, plus a private college that was hiring. I was hired at the language school at a starting salary of 20 euros per hour, however commuting time is not compensated and one is not provided with tickets restaurants.

Wow, 20 euros in Paris! That's pretty shocking relative to the cost of living there. I was working in a medium sized city in Northern France and a private school there was only offering me 12 euros and I thought that was bad (and no long commuting involved, actually a 15 minutes walk from my house)!
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think 20 euros is bad, in London some schools are paying 12 euros an hour, in the most expensive city in the world [except maybe some Swiss cities]!
Paris teacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, with 20 euros per hour, it's very easy to burn out as one has to work exceptionally long hours just to get by. I am serious about leaving Paris next summer and doing at least two years in the Middle East, probably KSA, to earn enough to put a down payment on a one-bedroom apartment in a less expensive part of France.

Languages schools have their positive and negative attributes. Regarding the positives, there is abundant work as the schools are plentiful, a lot of schools offer one-on-one conversation courses, and hours can be flexible.

The negative components are the low pay, the monotony of the work, the incessant commuting, and the dead-end nature of the job itself.

My advice is to try to find work at a private university. Avoid public universities as they hire vacataires, and people with this status are only paid at the end of the semester (how bizarre that in a country that supposedly treasures workers' rights, they have this ridiculous system!). Once you have a few classes at a private university, then you can complement that with some work at a language school and private lessons.

You can earn enough to live decently in Paris, but for long-term saving, it is not a good place. Rent can eat up to 70% of your monthly net salary, although you can reduce this by living in a far-away suburb or by getting a roommate.
kpjf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:
You think 20 euros is bad, in London some schools are paying 12 euros an hour, in the most expensive city in the world [except maybe some Swiss cities]!

You'd have to be pretty desperate to accept that.

Paris teacher wrote:
My advice is to try to find work at a private university. Avoid public universities as they hire vacataires, and people with this status are only paid at the end of the semester (how bizarre that in a country that supposedly treasures workers' rights, they have this ridiculous system!). Once you have a few classes at a private university, then you can complement that with some work at a language school and private lessons.

I worked in a public university in France and got paid every month no problem, or are you solely referring to Parisian universities? Problem is I can't find any job adverts for private universities. Any ideas?

For what it's worth I'm not really that interested in working in Paris (unless the salary compensates the cost of living).
Paris teacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with public universities here in Paris is that they mostly hire "vacataires," and they are paid at the end of the semester, although a lecteur might be paid every month, so it may very well be different according to rank.

Vacataires must have 300 hours of teaching work elsewhere in order to qualify for employment. In Paris it generally pays 40 euros per hour.

I found my job through FUSAC, I believe. Type in "private universities" for your region and see what comes up. Perhaps you could contact them directly.
madhatter109

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paris Teacher,

Thanks so much for posting your experience. It seems that the ESL/EFL industry as a whole isn't a mode of stability for the future. One thing I'm growing interested in is possible English language jobs in France outside the EFL industry. Are there many jobs in France that are looking for native speakers which don't involve teaching English (and pay a living wage?) It'd be nice to transition out of teaching and into a more stable career in France. Any ideas or have you seen anyone in France make this transition?

PS: How is your level of French? Did this affect your employment opportunities?
Paris teacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as non-teaching jobs, I do see some advertised in FUSAC from time to time and you could check craiglist.com for Paris and other regions. I know some people who work in tourism as guides and travel writers and there are always opportunities to do freelance writing.

As for my French, it's good enough, but I use English so often here that it has suffered a bit.
Philip1982

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Some observations on teaching EFL in Paris Reply with quote

Paris teacher wrote:

You're lucky, so lucky. I have a South African Passport. It's getting so difficult. Anyway, any advice for non-EU passport holders? How to get work? Visa process and so forth?

Paris teacher wrote:
I am considering working in the Middle East for a bit, saving a large amount of money, and then coming back to France to buy a small apartment, so that I can have that security for my old age.

My plan is to Teach English in Korea for 2 years, get the hours and then do my CELTA. Then also head to the middle east for a few years.

I have a 5-10 year plan to buy property in the South of France (Auvergne, near Clermont Ferrand). My sister and her husband moved there and my heart is firmly set on moving there after I visited in August 2016. So it means I need to work in France for up to 5 years to get a passport or at least 2 for a permanent residency.

Another question. How are they with us foreigners knowing the French Language? I heard it's quite a struggle to get by in France if you're not a bit proficient in it. I am planning to learn French. I want to be pretty good at the Language before even contemplating going to teach there.

Thanks for the post. Have a great day.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

My plan is to Teach English in Korea for 2 years, get the hours and then do my CELTA. Then also head to the middle east for a few years.

It would benefit you more to do the CELTA before your two years of teaching rather than after, if you possibly can. Many employers will ask for post-CELTA experience, or at least view it more favorably. Your students could conceivably benefit, as well. Very Happy

danshengou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an EU passport, speak good French, and possess higher qualifications such as a master's, there might be some longer-term options in teaching, or other things could pop up. My take is you just need to go there and be flexible and proactive - and have a good amount of savings as it could take a year or two before things really start coming together.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't have the passport.
danshengou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Doesn't have the passport.

That was the in general 'you'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: