Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Globus International School Dnipro - any experience?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarrasque

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Globus International School Dnipro - any experience? Reply with quote

Hi,

I received an email from Globus International School in Dnipro (Dnipropetrovsk) and couldn't fin either an official website or a review (good or bad) about the Dnipro premises. I have seen a few mentions of Globus within Russia in the Russia & CIS forum, so I suspect it may be a chain of that, but no information regarding the Dnipro school specifically.

Has anyone worked there/heard of them previously in Dnipropetrovsk? Anyone in Dnipro heard anything good or bad about them? I had also seen (in addition to the email they had sent me) that the same ad was posted on about 4-5 TEFL job sites.
Partizan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Globus International School Dnipro - any experience? Reply with quote

Tarrasque wrote:
Hi,

I received an email from Globus International School in Dnipro (Dnipropetrovsk) and couldn't fin either an official website or a review (good or bad) about the Dnipro premises. I have seen a few mentions of Globus within Russia in the Russia & CIS forum, so I suspect it may be a chain of that, but no information regarding the Dnipro school specifically.

Has anyone worked there/heard of them previously in Dnipropetrovsk? Anyone in Dnipro heard anything good or bad about them? I had also seen (in addition to the email they had sent me) that the same ad was posted on about 4-5 TEFL job sites.

They do indeed have an official website here - http://globus-eng.dp.ua/

However judging from the job spec posted here - http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/intl/index.pl?read=40170

It would be wise to ask for more info in relation to hours, contract (incl. visa), salary, support, accommodation etc.
Tarrasque

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Globus International School Dnipro - any experience? Reply with quote

Partizan wrote:

However judging from the job spec posted here - http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/intl/index.pl?read=40170

It would be wise to ask for more info in relation to hours, contract (incl. visa), salary, support, accommodation etc.

Interesting. I had tried to Google Globus International and only ever got the site fr their Russian operations (Moscow/St Petersburg), and even a "search nearby" Dnipro on Google Maps for Globus redirected me to the Russian site.

That's the one. Interestingly, I had asked them a number of questions (such as salary, accommodation type, lesson content, # teachers, etc), and their response was that they would answer them in a Skype interview. I'm thinking of writing back stating that I'd rather that information be available pre-interview, but get the feeling that their response alone seems a little off - not necessarily defensive, but more apprehensive to answer the questions upfront.
Partizan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Globus International School Dnipro - any experience? Reply with quote

Tarrasque wrote:
Partizan wrote:

Interesting. I had tried to Google Globus International and only ever got the site fr their Russian operations (Moscow/St Petersburg), and even a "search nearby" Dnipro on Google Maps for Globus redirected me to the Russian site.

That's the one. Interestingly, I had asked them a number of questions (such as salary, accommodation type, lesson content, # teachers, etc), and their response was that they would answer them in a Skype interview. I'm thinking of writing back stating that I'd rather that information be available pre-interview, but get the feeling that their response alone seems a little off - not necessarily defensive, but more apprehensive to answer the questions upfront.

Schools/companies are usually quite shtum when it comes to terms and conditions until you get to the interview stage. Then it is up to you to ask the hard questions. Make sure you do because the decision will be up to you whether or not you accept it and all the consequences, if any that could arise afterwards. We are here simply to give advice.

Anyway, let us know how you got on.
Tarrasque

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

The interview went well - went for close to 45 minutes, and gleaned the following info from them:

- contract: 25 academic hrs/wk; academic hr = 45 mins
- salary: $600 USD/month
- accommodation: single-room, shared kitchen, 10 min walk to school (free)
- # foreign teachers: 2 FT, 1 PT
- They also gave me contact details of 2 ex-teachers, whom I have been in touch with

At the conclusion of the interview, I was told that the following business day there would be another brief discussion to finalise the application. When they hadn't appeared on Skype, I wrote a brief email asking if the date was correct, and received the response "we're a bit busy now, we'll let you know a bit later". Ambiguous to say the least?

Still, yesterday (being nearly 3 weeks since the interview) I still hadn't heard back, so I emailed them asking the status of my candidacy, and received the response "we are in serious negotiations with another lady who meets all our requirements". In other words (or what I took it to mean), was that 'we didn't bother telling you in between' or 'we were desperately trying to find someone better and now that we have, best of luck in your future endeavours'.

For anyone who considers them in future, I need to point out: this was only the interview stage - I haven't worked a single day for their school, so I can't offer anything on that front.
Partizan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarrasque wrote:
Update:

The interview went well - went for close to 45 minutes, and gleaned the following info from them:

- contract: 25 academic hrs/wk; academic hr = 45 mins
- salary: $600 USD/month
- accommodation: single-room, shared kitchen, 10 min walk to school (free)
- # foreign teachers: 2 FT, 1 PT
- They also gave me contact details of 2 ex-teachers, whom I have been in touch with

At the conclusion of the interview, I was told that the following business day there would be another brief discussion to finalise the application. When they hadn't appeared on Skype, I wrote a brief email asking if the date was correct, and received the response "we're a bit busy now, we'll let you know a bit later". Ambiguous to say the least?

Still, yesterday (being nearly 3 weeks since the interview) I still hadn't heard back, so I emailed them asking the status of my candidacy, and received the response "we are in serious negotiations with another lady who meets all our requirements". In other words (or what I took it to mean), was that 'we didn't bother telling you in between' or 'we were desperately trying to find someone better and now that we have, best of luck in your future endeavours'.

For anyone who considers them in future, I need to point out: this was only the interview stage - I haven't worked a single day for their school, so I can't offer anything on that front.

Good God! Count your lucky stars that you avoided another potential gong show. I wouldn't get out of bed for $600 per month.

Head to the Middle/Far East.
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I agree with the above.

Also, if a school doesn't have the decency to let you know the outcome of the interview, do you want to work for them anyway? It shows that they are not to be trusted. After all, it only takes a minute, at the most, to email somebody.

I had an interview in the summer (90 mins), they asked me to send a lesson plan for a lesson that I had done, which I emailed to them the next day. I got no response from that, nor about the result of the said interview.

In all honesty, I don't do chasing. If a school tells me that they are going to let me know by phone, Skype, email, then that's exactly what I expect them to do.

Last edited by depechemodefan1966 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Interview follow-up Reply with quote

Had two interviews recently with Al Nawa in Oman and KFUPM in Saudi.
Neither have had the decency to write a short two-line email even though I was interviewed for between 30-45 minutes on a Sunday.

I never chase them up - just a lack of basic personal and professional courtesy.

Am looking at Ukraine as 'plan C'
Partizan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Interview follow-up Reply with quote

Siobhan 22 wrote:
Had two interviews recently with Al Nawa in Oman and KFUPM in Saudi.
Neither have had the decency to write a short two-line email even though I was interviewed for between 30-45 minutes on a Sunday.

I never chase them up - just a lack of basic personal and professional courtesy.

Am looking at Ukraine as 'plan C'

I would put Ukraine further down the list, somewhere after 'Y'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Ukraine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: