Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chinese University of Hong Kong
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RunHome

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Chinese University of Hong Kong Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm in the running for a senior lecturer post in Humanities at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (Shenzen). So far though, the CUHK has steered clear of answering any questions about salary, housing, medical insurance etc. Can anybody advise me what the current salary rates are (2016) and what, if any, benefits are part of a Senior Lecturer's package with CUHK.

From what I can gather, the contract is for 2 years.

Many thanks,

Jim
Jmbf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the exact figures for a senior lecturer salary at CUHK but I can make a few assumptions based on what I do know.

Assistant Professors at CUHK make between HKD 45-58K / month (*some may be eligible for housing allowance on top of that)

Lecturers at HK universities in general earn between HKD 28-48K / month

As Senior Lecturer positions fall between Assistant Professors and Lecturers, I think it would be safe to assume that a Senior Lecturer would be earning somewhere between HKD 40 - 50K / month plus perhaps some accommodation allowance.

Again, this is largely guesswork. If someone actually has some hard data to contribute that could firm up the figures somewhat.

**these figures are for Hong Kong, not sure about the correlation in pay for the Shenzhen branch
danshengou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that post I wouldn't take anything less than 30K RMB per month, considering the quals they require. The HK uni is not the same. But the salaries quoted above seem correct.
Sudz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the usual requirements for such positions?
Jmbf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a bit of a gander at the university's website and you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Here you go: http://www2.per.cuhk.edu.hk/en-gb/career-opportunities
danshengou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If not mistaken you'd need a related MA + 4 years' directly relevant experience after to qualify for the Lecturer rank. Senior Lecturer, which occasionally offers some additional housing support and an end of contract gratuity, is 10+ years. Figure 35-40k HKD a month for the lecturer, which is enough to pay the bills and save a little bit - if you're single and debt-free. Figure 15k a month for a decent (and tiny) apartment, even out there in New Territories, which isn't that great an area either. I think you should really love HK to go there for that pay.
danshengou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by the way, the workload and admin won't be light either. Taxes (10%) and rent/utilities could easily eat 60% of your pay. Then there's food and basic entertainment and travel and misc expenses...not much left. Also, you usually need 3 months up front to get an apartment, of which 2 months is the deposit! To live comfortably, it will cost you a small fortune in HK. Like I said, basically HK should be your dream destination to do it for this pay and workload. If so, good luck and happy hunting.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't comment on the workload but 35-40K is more than sufficient to live a comfortable lifestyle in HK provided that you are single and use a bit of common sense with regards to your spending habits.

No need for 15K for an apartment, plenty of small modern places in town from approx 12K or so. Walk around a bit and find a real estate agent, give them your budget and they will sort you out. Moreover, 10K is sufficient for a decent place out in the New Territories or on one of the outlying islands (some parts of which are quite nice but you need to do your research first). You will need to have some savings to cover the upfront costs as danshengou describes. However, flat shares are also available and reasonable ones can be found from 5K / month and up. Flat shares usually don't require upfront deposits.

With a bit of common sense you can easily keep your total monthly expenditure under 20K which leaves 15-20K / month of savings. That's approx USD $1,900 - 2,500 / month which is not bad. I'm not talking about having to be super frugal either to achieve that either, that budget would still allow you to eat out occasionally / have drinks / follow your various hobbies (within reason) etc etc.

Depending on your workload, you could also take on a few private students on the side which could add a significant amount to your monthly income.
Sudz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wage sounds quite good for a single person - all things considered.

In general, it seems as though HK isn't one of the more talked about teaching destinations. Why is that?
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudz wrote:
In general, it seems as though HK isn't one of the more talked about teaching destinations. Why is that?

A couple of reasons for that I think:

1. Hong Kong is small and dwarfed by other ESL destinations such as China, Korea, Thailand etc etc.

2. It seems to be the general perception that many teaching positions here require more work hours and are more 'busy' and 'stressful' than similar teaching positions in other countries.

3. Entry-level salaries here can make for a pretty basic lifestyle when you consider the relatively high cost of living. Once you get beyond entry-level though things pick up significantly.

4. There are a lot of incorrect assumptions that you have to be very highly qualified to secure a decent teaching position here. This is definitely untrue.

I'm sure that there are other reasons why HK is generally underrated.

Despite all that, if you have a good attitude and are willing to work hard there are still very good opportunities here.
danshengou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one wishes to be frugal on a lecturer's salary, doing a flat share is the best game plan. That said, having to share a living space may be a deal killer for some. But if you can handle that, HK could be a good option. Also there are other unis in more centrally located parts of the island, but then cost of living goes up along with that, naturally. So if you are willing to live and work on the outskirts and share a flat and don't do much going out, you can bank a fair bit. Don't expect an easy workload though. HK unis are for the 'serious' teachers, or so it seems.

Last edited by danshengou on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sudz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting points. I've always really enjoyed visiting Hong Kong, and think I might give it a go at some point in the future - for the right job.
danshengou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudz wrote:
Interesting points. I've always really enjoyed visiting Hong Kong, and think I might give it a go at some point in the future - for the right job.

Yeah, if you can land a senior lecturer or asst. professor post with housing and a gratuity and plenty of paid holiday in a decent part of town, I think you could make a good go of it.
Kowloon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
If not mistaken you'd need a related MA + 4 years' directly relevant experience after to qualify for the Lecturer rank. Senior Lecturer, which occasionally offers some additional housing support and an end of contract gratuity, is 10+ years. Figure 35-40k HKD a month for the lecturer, which is enough to pay the bills and save a little bit - if you're single and debt-free. Figure 15k a month for a decent (and tiny) apartment, even out there in New Territories, which isn't that great an area either. I think you should really love HK to go there for that pay.

You're off on rent for me. I pay less than that for a two bedroom in Kowloon in a modern estate. Could name at least three more that I have viewed in the same price range. A friend of mine rents a 1 bed in Mong Kok for 10k a month. An old building granted but it's not a walk-up and the flat was recently renovated inside.

FWIW you only make savings in certain parts of the new territories, other parts are just as popular as Kowloon. Also I find that there are always a couple of newly built estates on the go that they struggle to shift and that offer good value.
danshengou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10k is scraping the bottom of the rental market for single accommodation. Below this budget you need to do a flat share.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: