Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Rules at HCT...(and affecting ZU and UAEU)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_shadow72 wrote:
I have heard from a reliable source that HCT is in the process of redesigning roles and duties across the board.

As they have been doing every other year since the early 90s. LOL

VS
Odin39

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_shadow72 wrote:
HCT is in the process of redesigning roles and duties across the board.
Programme chairs might be disappearing altogether with duties reassigned to existing staff.

The chair position is to be an "assignment" so that they could transition back into a teaching role supposedly.
The ReOrg seems to be about looking good on paper for acreditation, but probably won't make much of a difference.
Some teachers seem to have gotten notices of renewal or not, but not the actual contract terms.
republocrat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent comment posted to the HCT Sucks blog notes the following disreputable practice - dismissals via email:

Anonymous said...

To make matters worse, the round of layoffs, firings or whatever you want to call it that happened last Thursday, saw many individuals (I only know of 10) lose their jobs by email. Not by a formal meeting, no, an email with an attachment. Is it too much to ask that such a life changing event be handled with dignity? No, an unannounced email a few hours before going home for the weekend. I am simply flabbergasted at the sheer arrogance of this organization. Needless to say the HCT reputation elsewhere in the academic community ought now be consigned to the untouchables basket. In no place on this planet could such uncouth, arrogance be tolerated by professional educators. Be fairly warned that the intellectual cancer that pervades this once decent institution is now an open festering sore of hatred and discontent.

7 February 2017 at 19:57
D. Merit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things must have changed.

In the days ... (MOD edit) an e-mail would have been infinitely preferable to being told face to face.

The e-mails about what great investments luxury apartments in Mayfair were was well appreciated though.

Rolling Eyes
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
The_shadow72 wrote:
I have heard from a reliable source that HCT is in the process of redesigning roles and duties across the board.

As they have been doing every other year since the early 90s. LOL

VS

No, the redesign looks like an attempt to change the terms, but no one knows just yet what the terms are. Per usual, hard to tell if this is evil plot or usual HCT incompetence. Always best to lean towards the latter. The subsequent post in this thread about the chairs is true. They're hoping to rotate the role, but then you'd still need to be a PhD, so there's that hurdle. Rolling Eyes
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody seen a new contract yet? That ax is yet to fall?

VS
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

VS

I have just heard the 80 people across the system who originally received the "you're renewed" email have since received another email stating the first was sent in error and that they are not being renewed.
Shakhbut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mishmumkin wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:

VS

I have just heard the 80 people across the system who originally received the "you're renewed" email have since received another email stating the first was sent in error and that they are not being renewed.

All 80 people told you that? Wow, you must be someone important. Please clarify a statement that will cause deep concern for many.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any suggestion that "all 80" reported in person. Why would anyone suggest that the current management wouldn't do the same damn thing to people that they did last year?

They fired... they re-hired... no... wait... some of you are re-hired... maybe others because we just figured out that we won't have any teachers next year... oops...

This kind of crap is pretty standard for HCT the last couple years. Anyone who isn't worried about what this administration will do this week or next... isn't paying attention. Concern seems pretty sensible...

VS
Odin39

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

VS

Word is that this month or next new contracts will be drawn up for those who are current and those who are renewing, this seems to include staff and faculty. The new terms are to take effect in september.
Grendel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of at least one person who received an email saying she wouldn't be renewed, and who, after appealing, was renewed. Her case appeared to turn on having equivalency, which she doesn't, like most at HCT. I get the impression admin doesn't like to fight.

That may be one reason it's using email to get rid of people. Here's another possiblity:

At my first job in the UAE, my Palestinian supervisor explained he never fired anybody until the day he could walk them out the door. If the law required notice, he would then give false hope, saying maybe if X or Y was done, there might still be a job. His logic was to do otherwise just ensured he had deadwood around, people complaining and looking for other jobs rather than doing the one at hand.

The "renewal" emails were very weaselly written. I suspect the initial plan was to string everybody along, getting work out of them, and then axing the unwanted at the last minute. I think the plan changed when lawyers managed to get a work in, pointing out the number of lawsuits that could result.
robinbanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are HCT in any way connected to the company that organises the envelopes at the Oscars?They both seem to be in La La Land.Maybe we could even get "Bonnie &Clyde"to read out the list of those who are .......staying.......sorry....I'm so sorry.......leaving...LEAVING.[/i]
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robinbanks wrote:
Are HCT in any way connected to the company that organises the envelopes at the Oscars?They both seem to be in La La Land.Maybe we could even get "Bonnie &Clyde"to read out the list of those who are .......staying.......sorry....I'm so sorry.......leaving...LEAVING.[/i]

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: New Rules at HCT Reply with quote

Perhaps this should be a new thread - More Shavings at HCT. Former colleagues at HCT report that the educational allowance has been cut in half. No surprise there but will be a hardship for ex-pats who have 2 or more children. However, a majority of colleagues in Foundations have left or will be departing this year, hopefully for greener pastures.

PS
Shakhbut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed, school allowance is now 30000 per child, 60000 max for a family. On top of that, flight money has been removed from the monthly pay and must be applied for once a year.
I wonder if that means it'll go up or down.... Rolling Eyes
Breaking point for many, expect a lot of resignations.

Last edited by Shakhbut on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: