Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Universities admit students who are 'almost illiterate' . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slapntickle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Universities admit students who are 'almost illiterate' . . Reply with quote

By Camilla Turner, education editor
16 FEBRUARY 2017 • 7:09PM
Universities are admitting students who are “almost illiterate”, lecturers warn as they complain that dropping entry requirements has led to a generation of undergraduates who cannot read, write or speak proper English.

Almost half of academics (48 per cent) do not think that students are adequately prepared for university study, according to a Times Higher Education (THE) survey of over 1,000 academic staff.

Many academics believe that slipping standards are to blame, with one lecturer from a red brick university telling the survey: “Each year, the entry requirements for undergraduate programmes are reduced, meaning we get a high number of students who are almost illiterate.”

Another senior lecturer in nursing at a university in northern England, said: “We can now see a whole generation of registered nurses who cannot read critically or write coherently but who have somehow passed a degree – this is worrying”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/02/16/universities-admit-students-almost-illiteratelecturers-warn/
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. What's new here? Teachers have said this for millennia. The only scary thing in this news from my perspective is that I (gulp) agree with it. I am clearly getting Older....
bograt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hmmm. What's new here? Teachers have said this for millennia

Which brings up the question, if standards really have slipped would there ever be general acknowledgement of the fact? One way to try and show it would be to compare past exam papers with those of today but then again the argument will always be used that students today study different kinds of things or are better at other forms of assessment. Since 'standards' could be argued are a subjective concept, I guess the question will never really be answered.
slapntickle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bograt wrote:
Since 'standards' could be argued are a subjective concept, I guess the question will never really be answered.

Oh yes it will be. It's really quite simple: there has been a proliferation of colleges and universities that are reliant on student fees to survive, so standards have dropped in order to get the number of required bums on seats. You might say that the IELTS test separates the wheat from the chaff, but some universities are allowing students to get onto a presessional with scores as low as 4.0, and expecting the poor teacher to get them up to speed in a few months. It's a big scam and I'm glad that lecturers are finally bringing the issue to the public's attention.
bograt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapntickle wrote:
bograt wrote:
Since 'standards' could be argued are a subjective concept, I guess the question will never really be answered.

Oh yes it will be. It's really quite simple: there has been a proliferation of colleges and universities that are reliant on student fees to survive, so standards have dropped in order to get the number of required bums on seats. You might say that the IELTS test separates the wheat from the chaff, but some universities are allowing students to get onto a presessional with scores as low as 4.0, and expecting the poor teacher to get them up to speed in a few months. It's a big scam and I'm glad that lecturers are finally bringing the issue to the public's attention.

Yeah I wasn't really talking about foreign students but I see the article mentions them. it's not really clear whether they're the main focus of concern
slapntickle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bograt wrote:
Yeah I wasn't really talking about foreign students but I see the article mentions them. it's not really clear whether they're the main focus of concern

International students or domestic . . . it doesn't really matter. Universities are letting in anyone as long as they can pay . . . and survive!

http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/news/0018680-universities-drop-entry-requirements-in-an-attempt-to-fill-empty-spaces.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: