Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teaching in China/Vietnam/Thailand/cambo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pablohoney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: teaching in China/Vietnam/Thailand/cambo Reply with quote

deleting this

Last edited by pablohoney on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Criminal record and teaching in China/Vietnam/Thailand/c Reply with quote

pablohoney wrote:
Hi, I finish college in May and want to go to either Vietnam/China/Thailand/Cambodia to teach English. I have a 20 year old conviction for 'unlawful drug possession' which ended with a 100 euro fine. I didn't even know i had it until I was vetted for work. It is a 'spent conviction' now but will turn up on the police certificate but not the personal information request.

I've been told the Vietnam needs the certificate but aren't strict unless your conviction is for sexual or violent crimes. This information tends to change from site to site.

I've read that china doesn't need a background check outside of Beijing. But again this changes from site to site. I have no problem ticking no on the visa application once its not checked.

On and on......One post makes me optimistic while the next makes me pessimistic!!

Does anyone know the up to date information regarding these countries, or one of them? I would be much grateful for your information.

You assume the rules are uniform and enforced with consistency.
They are NOT.

A police clearance IS in the list of requirements for ALL of the ASEAN block as well as Taiwan, mainland China and Korea.

Enforcement of the rule will depend on who is your sponsor (employer), how bad they want you and how much of a bribe they are willing to pay to get your application accepted.

Cambodia and Myanmar are the easiest to slip through without being checked.

Korea and the affluent parts of China are the most difficult.

Tudor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Criminal record and teaching in China/Vietnam/Thailand/c Reply with quote

pablohoney wrote:
I have a 20 year old conviction for 'unlawful drug possession' which ended with a 100 euro fine. I didn't even know i had it until I was vetted for work.

Jeez, you must have been out of it if you didn't even realise you'd been convicted and fined for it Smile
pablohoney

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol.

Last edited by pablohoney on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Tudor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pablohoney wrote:
Do you have any information yourself or did you just want to make a quip??? lol

The latter.

In all seriousness though, I don't think there's anything else to add to Suphanburi's comment. Despite whatever the rules may say, they are applied haphazardly in some (particularly developing) countries and can depend on any number of circumstances such as your employer and the area of a country you're in.

Unfortunately, there's no real black and white answer, but you may wish to narrow your search down a bit and then go on to the country specific forums to see what teachers in those countries/cities think.

Yes, it's a shame that a silly misdemanour from years ago should continue to hinder someone.
pablohoney

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers man Very Happy
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't get a work permit in China without a police report. Korea and Taiwan you can completely forget about unless you get your record ordered clean by a court. You can work without a permit in a lot of SE Asian countries as well as China. In Thailand you don't risk anything working without a permit. Many people work in China without a permit, some for years and years, and I have never heard of anything happening to these people. Don't even try to work in Korea without a work visa, if they catch you you'll definitely have problems.
tedkarma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vietnam is going to require a police clearance.

Thailand at the moment you are probably okay, but that won't last long. These countries have had their fill of teachers with "problems".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: