Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living in Sri Lanka

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Living in Sri Lanka Reply with quote

Kandy, to be exact. Aside from trips through, has anyone on the forum lived in Sri Lanka for an extended period of time?
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visited a number of times. Lots of traffic in Kandy nowadays. Nevertheless, a splendid place. I'd move there in a heartbeat if the salary was reasonable
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I love Kandy. The British Council have a school there and pay quite well.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
Yeah, I love Kandy. The British Council have a school there and pay quite well.

I would already have a job lined up. I was wondering how big the BC was there and if there other expat teachers in town.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually made an appointment with the BC when I was in Kandy to discuss employment opportunities and the DOS was kind enough to show me around. It didn't go far because I was honest when it came to saying that I lacked young learners experience. For that center, they needed a minimum of two years' 'kiddie experience'. Anyway, first-rate resources (including smart boards) and there were about five teachers working there at the time, so fairly small. However, that was about four or five years ago. As to what it is like now, I wouldn't have a clue.
mishmumkin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
I actually made an appointment with the BC when I was in Kandy to discuss employment opportunities and the DOS was kind enough to show me around. It didn't go far because I was honest when it came to saying that I lacked young learners experience. For that center, they needed a minimum of two years' 'kiddie experience'. Anyway, first-rate resources (including smart boards) and there were about five teachers working there at the time, so fairly small. However, that was about four or five years ago. As to what it is like now, I wouldn't have a clue.

Thanks a lot! One concern I had was the social aspect of meeting people and making friends of any and all nationalities. Good to know there are others of the same profession there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: