Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teacher position in Al Ain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedPanda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Teacher position in Al Ain Reply with quote

Dear friends! I do really need your advice! I am a teacher from Ukraine. I live in the capital and work as a teacher (actually I am associate professor, Phd) in one of the universities. Compared to others, I get quite high salary (1000 dollars). But it means I have no days off, and I must have from 3 to 6 lessons per day. I was offered a position of a teacher in a private school in Al Ain. Salary is 8500, accomodation, 2 bedroom appartment to share with another teacher, return flight, insurance, paid holidays (60 days).
Any ideas if it is a good offer?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you teaching? Confused
RedPanda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
What are you teaching? Confused

I teach English in Ukraine
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without knowing your specific qualifications or basic info about the school, that salary amount is probably about right for a non-native English teacher. Is it a good offer? Native speakers will quickly balk at it for being so low. You'll have to determine if it's doable for your particular lifestyle, financial responsibilities, and financial goals as well as your motivation for working in the UAE. I suggest you take a look at Numbeo's cost of living index for Al Ain to get an idea of your monthly expenses.
RedPanda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Without knowing your specific qualifications or basic info about the school, that salary amount is probably about right for a non-native English teacher. Is it a good offer? Native speakers will quickly balk at it for being so low. You'll have to determine if it's doable for your particular lifestyle, financial responsibilities, and financial goals as well as your motivation for working in the UAE. I suggest you take a look at Numbeo's cost of living index for Al Ain to get an idea of your monthly expenses.

Thank you for the answer! I can't really understand if it is a good offer as I've never been to UAE. I had a look at the site you posted recently, but still can't have a full picture of how much I would spend there and how much I could save. As for my qualifications. I am a licenced teacher, I started teaching in a school and now I am teaching in National Prosecution Academy. I have been teaching for more than 10 years, I have some international experience as I cooperate with British charities.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedPanda wrote:
I can't really understand if it is a good offer as I've never been to UAE. I had a look at the site you posted recently, but still can't have a full picture of how much I would spend there and how much I could save.

That salary is lukewarm. To figure out if it's doable, first determine how much you need to have in savings each month. Convert that number to currency you're familiar with. Then make a list of the common foods you eat, utilities (cell phone, maybe Internet), transportation (taxi, bus), and any entertainment expenses (eating out, movies, etc). Use Numbeo - Al Ain to get the estimated cost for each item on your list and subtract those expenses from your salary. Convert the total to familiar currency. If that number meets or exceeds your savings requirement, you have your answer. Just be sure to budget an emergency fund as well.
RedPanda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="nomad soul"][quote="RedPanda"]I can't really understand if it is a good offer as I've never been to UAE. I had a look at the site you posted recently, but still can't have a full picture of how much I would spend there and how much I could save.[/quote]
That salary is lukewarm. To figure out if it's doable, first determine how much you need to have in savings each month. Convert that number to currency you're familiar with. Then make a list of the common foods you eat, utilities (cell phone, maybe Internet), transportation (taxi, bus), and any entertainment expenses (eating out, movies, etc). Use Numbeo - Al Ain to get the estimated cost for each item on your list and subtract those expenses from your salary. Convert the total to familiar currency. If that number meets or exceeds your savings requirement, you have your answer. Just be sure to budget an emergency fund as well.[/quote]
Thank you again! I'll try to do it, anyway the only way to find out what expences are for sure, I need to experience that myself. Taking into a account that fact, I have never been an expat...
danshengou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All things considered, it's a close call. If you are ready to be an expat, don't mind having a roommate, and have a plan B if things go bad, then maybe give it a go. Because it looks like you can pocket a good bit of that 8500.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Teacher position in Al Ain Reply with quote

RedPanda wrote:
2 bedroom appartment to share with another teacher,

Ouch!
RedPanda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Teacher position in Al Ain Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:
RedPanda wrote:
2 bedroom appartment to share with another teacher,

Ouch!

Does that mean something not really nice? Shocked
danshengou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means that sharing an apartment with a complete stranger doesn't always work out well.
2buckets

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once shared a bathroom with someone who wasn't used to indoor plumbing.
In the morning I was usually greeted by an un-flushed toilet.
'nuff said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: