Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming Back to the U.K

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeacherTim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Coming Back to the U.K Reply with quote

Hi all,

Could you give me a bit of advice? After more than a decade away I would like to come back to teach. I have a PGCE and TESOL Diploma along with seventeen years teaching experience. I know I could get supply work in schools to begin with but as I have mouths to feed I'd also like to keep a hand in the ESL teaching market. Perhaps one day I could even open my own school.

Any suggestions on where to look? London would be out of the question owing to the high cost of housing, so what about Cornwall for example? Is the teaching market healthy there or are jobs just limited to summer camps as what seems to be advertised?

Cheers,

Tim
LH123

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TeacherTim

(a lot of what is posted here might be of interest...)

With a PGCE, you could get a job in the state or independent sector starting next September; that will get you more money and more job security than working in ESL.

And, with a Diploma, you could probably find work at a university pre-sessional course for the Summer - that would pay more than any ESL-gig or summer school - and would see you through until September.

But, if you are determined to go the ESL route, then the UK landscape is more or less as follows:

London is obviously the biggest and best in terms of the number of jobs available. As you say, though, cost-of-living is prohibitive. There are language schools in all of the south-coast cities (from Brighton to Falmouth), as well as in the more picturesque and historic inland cities (like Canterbury, Oxford and Cambridge, for instance). Then there are the other major cities (Manchester, Edinburgh, Birmingham...) - they have no-where near as much going on as London, but there are schools kicking about...With your experience and qualifications you'd be at the top of the pile for most language academy ESL type jobs.

But, if you have mouths to feed, I'd strongly suggest looking beyond private-sector ESL work.
TeacherTim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LH123 wrote:
Hi TeacherTim

(a lot of what is posted here might be of interest...)

With a PGCE, you could get a job in the state or independent sector starting next September; that will get you more money and more job security than working in ESL.

And, with a Diploma, you could probably find work at a university pre-sessional course for the Summer - that would pay more than any ESL-gig or summer school - and would see you through until September.

But, if you are determined to go the ESL route, then the UK landscape is more or less as follows:

London is obviously the biggest and best in terms of the number of jobs available. As you say, though, cost-of-living is prohibitive. There are language schools in all of the south-coast cities (from Brighton to Falmouth), as well as in the more picturesque and historic inland cities (like Canterbury, Oxford and Cambridge, for instance). Then there are the other major cities (Manchester, Edinburgh, Birmingham...) - they have no-where near as much going on as London, but there are schools kicking about...With your experience and qualifications you'd be at the top of the pile for most language academy ESL type jobs.

But, if you have mouths to feed, I'd strongly suggest looking beyond private-sector ESL work.

Hi LH123,

Many thanks for your detailed reply. Having looked, looked and looked again and I'm now also of the opinion there isn't a big enough market for just ESL work.

Before I left the U.K there were quite a few schools who advertised for positions, although most were very lowly paid. I think that market has now shrunk and what seems left are summer camps etc.

Back to the drawing board!

Thanks again.

Tim
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Write off Scotland. Even in areas where there are large numbers of children for whom English is a foreign language, local authorities often do not recognise EFL as a "real subject" Glasgow is a case in point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: