Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Qatar University Foundation Program
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danshengou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a Ph.D. to get the job. You just need an MA and some relevant Gulf experience to get an interview and for them to like you. That's it.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
You don't need a Ph.D. to get the job. You just need an MA and some relevant Gulf experience to get an interview and for them to like you. That's it.

No one is stating that a doctorate is required. However, there are PhD/EdD holders throughout GCC universities who teach EFL in addition to conducting research and teaching in academic programs.

From QU's English Foundation website:

Quote:
Responsibilities include teaching up to 18 contact hours per week in our University entry program or our programs for undergraduate students; contributing to and participating in curriculum and program development, e-learning, testing and assessment, student advising and support activities.

Qualifications
    - Master's degree/PhD in TESOL, Applied Linguistics or ELT from a reputably accredited university/program.
    - at least three years' EAP/EFL/ESL teaching experience at university/tertiary level (overseas experience is desirable).
    - experience in testing and assessment, instructional technology, and curriculum and materials development.
    - experience in teaching university-level EAP/ EFL/ ESL academic writing / research skills is preferred.
    - ability to adapt to and participate in different cultures and learning environments.
    - ability to contribute to an innovative and challenging academic instructional program is an asset.
danshengou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say a phd was required either. Just clarifying that one can easily get hired there to teach a bit of anglais without it, as long as you have the minimum quals, get an interview, and they like you. Again, don't stress about the Ph.D. bit in the advert, just the MA is all that is needed.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
I didn't say a phd was required either. Just clarifying that one can easily get hired there to teach a bit of anglais without it, as long as you have the minimum quals, get an interview, and they like you. Again, don't stress about the Ph.D. bit in the advert, just the MA is all that is needed.

The ad is clear about the requirement of either a relevant MA or PhD. However, these positions are competitive; meeting just the minimum quals doesn't guarantee an interview. Employers are looking for standouts not mediocrity.
danshengou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Employers are looking for standouts not mediocrity.

I will say it once more. If you get an interview and they like you, that's all that matters. You don't need a phd to get an interview. If hired you will be teaching non-matriculated students with low levels of anglais. An MA is actually overkill.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are indeed calling it 'anglais,' then it seems they aren't being very effectively taught. Maybe they do need PhD qualified teachers rather than those candidates the interviewers find likeable;-)

Personally, I'd be suspicious of the likeability criteria.
sammysez

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else posted but I don't see an answer. What is the pay range at QU?

The working conditions? student behavior?

thanks
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an MA, Sammy? (your competition would be the many teachers with advanced degrees and extensive university level experience in the UAE who are fleeing HCT)

It is required at all of the major universities around the Gulf... even though we all know that it really isn't needed to do the required teaching.

They have switched many of their majors to be taught in Arabic, so their Foundations level EFL hiring has declined. It's been awhile since we had many (or any) posters who were current teachers there. We haven't been able to get updates on the situation.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, the majority of direct-hire jobs in the GCC calculate salary based on the applicant's specific qualifications, skills, and verified experience, especially given requirements like those above. Therefore, you can't rely on what others earn; you'd have to apply to see what you'd be offered.
ThirstyInTheDesert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, Qatar U's FPDE is looking for teachers next year. I have heard from friends that the number is around 10. I have also heard that they have had over a hundred applicants already. I've heard different stories about online programs. Some say online degrees or blended degrees need not apply. Some say go for it. I'd agree with those who say go for it, never hurts to at least try.
Benefits-wise:
-salary seems to start around 15000/16000 QAR but your starting amount is probably tied to your experience as someone has already mentioned.
-trip money, medical, insurance coverage (don't know details here)
-ESG
-

Married Faculty get Villas
Unmarried had been living in Ezdan Hotel but I have heard they are now moving into a building in Lusail with 2 bedroom apartments.

Work-wise, nice faculty, people have told me they like the job and the students. Contact hours are supposed to be 18, if you work less you will have extra work, i.e. committee tasks and tutoring assignments to make up the difference.[/list]
sammysez

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Ph.D required?? Reply with quote

HI,

I saw there are about 10 openings, however, is QU wanting Ph.D? or is that preferred?

I noticed they wanted to know what you have published etc... So usually that's Ph.D research.
Anyone with a Master's working there?

Salaries?

Life in Qatar?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammysez wrote:
Is QU wanting Ph.D? or is that preferred?

I noticed they wanted to know what you have published etc... So usually that's Ph.D research.
Anyone with a Master's working there?

Salaries?

Life in Qatar?

Scroll through this thread; the majority of your questions have been answered. Other discussion threads within this forum touch on life in Qatar. There are also several good expat sites on the Net you can look at.

Positions for QU are competitive. As veiledsentiments stated, there's likely to be a huge response from many of those seasoned UAE teachers whose contracts are about to end.
ThirstyInTheDesert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to friends working at QU:

The jobs at QU are competitive this year due to oil prices and general belt-tightening that is happening in the region. Considering the situation in the UAE, it is probably more competitive than usual.

- MA required, PHD preferrable
- Salaries depending on qualifications, some people have started around
15 000, others 16 000 base salary.

Accommodations:
-Married w/ kids gets a furnished villa
-Married w/out kids may get a furninshed villa or unfurnished apartment in Lusail

- Unmarried gets an unfurnished apartment in Lusail (2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms - bathrooms do not have bathtubes, only showers).

* Utilities are not included and must be paid by faculty whether in Villa or Apartment.

Overall: I have heard it is a pleasant place to work at. The accommodation in Lusail is a new building and there is a lot of construction happening in the area. However the commute to work would be very short from that location. There is also a mall within 10 minutes of the Lusail accomodation.
neverland

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone had an interview or heard back from their interview yet?
sammysez

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't get the website to take my application etc..

Did anyone else have this problem?

I didn't know if it meant they had closed the job site because of too many applications or there was a glitch or what.

Anyone know??

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: