Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Thai universities to teach at?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbeCross

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Best Thai universities to teach at? Reply with quote

When I read this I was wondering if the "top ten" Thai universities listed would be the best places to teach EFL at in Thailand?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1216001/thai-universities-keep-failing-the-test
sigmoid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the main factor when it comes to job satisfaction at unis is your immediate "boss", the dean or head of department, rather than which university you're at. Obviously, a cool boss = a cool job.

The other factor is location, Silpakorn University's original campus just across from the Grand Palace is a fascinating place to work. Others might prefer Srinakarinwirot, practically next door to Soi Cowboy. Or, how about Naresuan U. up in sleep Phitsanulok?

A third factor is private vs. public. Private unis generally pay more, but with how much more work? Public (govt) unis pay less but often provide options for extra work if you want it.

Lastly, do you have the credentials to work in an "international" program, usually a master's? Those offer a higher salary than just teaching regular undergraduate students. Mahidol's Salaya campus is well-known for this sort of thing but it's a pretty long commute unless you want to live out in the suburbs.

So, to find the "best" select your location and try to find a good boss, then worry about the money later.

As has been pointed out frequently here, if money is your top priority, look for somewhere other than Thailand.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Best Thai universities to teach at? Reply with quote

AbeCross wrote:
When I read this I was wondering if the "top ten" Thai universities listed would be the best places to teach EFL at in Thailand?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1216001/thai-universities-keep-failing-the-test

As mentioned above it largely depends on your head and your credentials.

IF you have the credentials (related graduate degree(s)) then teaching graduate students in an international program (like Chula) pays about 1500 baht per class hour (at least that is what I earn on a part-time basis). I have a decent head of department and the dean largely ignores the foreign staff so all is good.

If all you have to offer is a BA, a TEFL cert and some basic experience then you are looking at teaching undergrads and earning about 25-30k per month with no benefits. These jobs are all over but they are usually more trouble than they are worth. You'd be better off teaching in a decent private school or again, if you have the credentials, a decent International School (60-130k plus some decent benefits, depending on your background, credentials and teacher's certifications).

Hermosillo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best schools academically are often not the best places to work, nor the best pay. And yes, your immediate supervisor can have a huge impact. I would also add the schools ability to keep you legal. Some teachers never go to Immigration, while others do 26 hours round trip on a bus, only to come back with another 60 day visa. I am willing to work for less; I am not willing to jump through bureaucratic hoops in a corrupt third world country like a circus animal.
Shakey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
In my experience, the main factor when it comes to job satisfaction at unis is your immediate "boss", the dean or head of department, rather than which university you're at. Obviously, a cool boss = a cool job.

The other factor is location...

sigmoid, or anyone else, is Burapha University any good as an employer?
sigmoid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this goes back to the point that people are trying to make about the question in OP. Asking which one is the best, or is (fill in the blank) U. any good will just result in an answer of "maybe" or "depends".

I've never heard anything bad about them if that's what you're wondering, but other than the fact that the main campus is in Chonburi and that the name comes from a palace in Bangkok that was demolished about 60 - 70 years ago, it's just another university to me.

So, if you want to live in Chonburi, it could be a good place to work. You'd be close to the sea, basically living at the beach, and in between Bangkok and Pattaya.

They have two other campuses, Chantaburi and Sa Kaew, both of which are quite remote and probably pretty boring. So, you'd have to check at which campus they're hiring for.

Oh wait. Hold the phone! Just noticed this on their wikipedia page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burapha_University:

Quote:
In September 2016, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha invoked Section 44 of the interim charter allowing him to form a special panel to take over administration of the university as it was judged to be incapable of administering itself.

Keep looking.... Laughing
Shakey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:
Oh wait. Hold the phone! Just noticed this on their wikipedia page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burapha_University:

Quote:
In September 2016, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha invoked Section 44 of the interim charter allowing him to form a special panel to take over administration of the university as it was judged to be incapable of administering itself.

Keep looking.... :lol:

I see. Thanks. Seems unstable. I was thinking the location might be good.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was thinking the location might be good.

I agree. you could do some research and find out what the specific problems are. Maybe it's not as bad as it sounds, or maybe it's all sorted out by now Laughing

Also, they're probably not the only game in town. Have you checked to see if there are any other schools/colleges/unis there?
AbeCross

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Teaching at a Thai university Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. Yes, the relationship with one's boss is easily the most important factor for success and happiness in a position. But how would one know that BEFORE taking a new teaching job?
Also, I have seen only two adverts for Thai universities in the past couple of months. One was in Phitsanoluk: I did not respond because the contact hours seemed high for the salary offered. The second one was for Mahidol in BKK, but the ad stated that it was only open to candidates available for a face-to-face interview and I am out of the country.
I am seeking a post with small class sizes and a light teaching load in a well-regarded university-or language center attached to a university. In the past, I have taught at universities in Korea, BKK(Ramkhamhaeng), and Saudi Arabia. The class sizes were huge which practically forced me into lecturing and I do not wish to do that again.
I am employed and am not in a hurry: I want to be cautious and prudent before taking any position.
What other countries might I consider? I have thought of China but the pay at universities there is very low and the class sizes seem too high.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching at a Thai university Reply with quote

AbeCross wrote:
Thanks for the thoughtful responses. Yes, the relationship with one's boss is easily the most important factor for success and happiness in a position. But how would one know that BEFORE taking a new teaching job?
Also, I have seen only two adverts for Thai universities in the past couple of months. One was in Phitsanoluk: I did not respond because the contact hours seemed high for the salary offered. The second one was for Mahidol in BKK, but the ad stated that it was only open to candidates available for a face-to-face interview and I am out of the country.
I am seeking a post with small class sizes and a light teaching load in a well-regarded university-or language center attached to a university. In the past, I have taught at universities in Korea, BKK(Ramkhamhaeng), and Saudi Arabia. The class sizes were huge which practically forced me into lecturing and I do not wish to do that again.
I am employed and am not in a hurry: I want to be cautious and prudent before taking any position.
What other countries might I consider? I have thought of China but the pay at universities there is very low and the class sizes seem too high.

The "Where" would largely depend on what YOU have to offer: a BA and a TEFL cert, a MATESOL, or a PhD in Applied Linguistics (or other related doctorate) coupled with several publications and some decent research.

If you are at the lower end of the spectrum then good luck applying to anything in East Asia while you are outside of the country you are applying to.

If you are at the higher end of the spectrum then there are lots of options ranging from SoKorea through Japan, HK, Singapore, etc.

The closed Facebook group, "Teacher Voices: Professional Development"
often lists job opportunities at top universities through the Asian region as well as discussions on research and getting published and listings of conferences for presenting your work at.

sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, the relationship with one's boss is easily the most important factor for success and happiness in a position. But how would one know that BEFORE taking a new teaching job?

Well, it seems like you're doing the right thing: researching, making inquiries, corresponding. All of that can tell you a lot about the institute's attitude toward staff. But, having worked in Thailand you already know that it's not a country where you need to arrange everything before arriving. So, shop around, then show up with your short list and some interviews lined up. Then, after actually being on campus and meeting the department head or faculty dean, you can make your decision.

Also, as with the Mahidol job, they usually want to meet you beforehand as well.

Quote:
Also, I have seen only two adverts for Thai universities in the past couple of months.

Yeah, they don't seem to be advertising on the most famous teaching site. Have a look at their individual websites.

By the way, in Thailand large uni classes are a lot of fun if you turn it into a big game show sort of like The Price is Right, Let's Make a Deal or The Gong Show. Most Thais love to get up in front of the class and do something funny.

Finally, remember that there aren't a lot of high-paying jobs in Thailand. It's basically not known as a place to make money teaching. Also, the political climate is not particularly stable at the moment. Focusing on other countries may be a good option.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigmoid wrote:

The other factor is location, Silpakorn University's original campus just across from the Grand Palace is a fascinating place to work. Others might prefer Srinakarinwirot, practically next door to Soi Cowboy. Or, how about Naresuan U. up in sleep Phitsanulok?

A third factor is private vs. public. Private unis generally pay more, but with how much more work? Public (govt) unis pay less but often provide options for extra work if you want it.

Lastly, do you have the credentials to work in an "international" program, usually a master's? Those offer a higher salary than just teaching regular undergraduate students. Mahidol's Salaya campus is well-known for this sort of thing but it's a pretty long commute unless you want to live out in the suburbs.

So, to find the "best" select your location and try to find a good boss, then worry about the money later.

As has been pointed out frequently here, if money is your top priority, look for somewhere other than Thailand.

Informative. Thanks for the post, and the differentiation on some of these Thai universities.
sheikhitnow

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We seem to be mostly BKK-oriented on this thread. I wouldn't live anywhere else but Chiang Mai as far as Thailand goes.
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheikhitnow wrote:
We seem to be mostly BKK-oriented on this thread. I wouldn't live anywhere else but Chiang Mai as far as Thailand goes.

I can give 10 reasons, why that is not a wise statement.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hermosillo wrote:
sheikhitnow wrote:

I can give 10 reasons, why that is not a wise statement.

And I can probably add 10 more...

The best (university) job options for those with the qualifications are in the Metro-Bangkok area. If you are qualified for an assistant or associate professorship you are well off and will do well. Good pay (75k per course per semester) and other benefits (those with graduate degrees can relate to those academic options).

For those with nothing special (The largest majority of applicants who think they should be special) then anywhere outside of Bangkok and CM are viable options but you will be teaching basic conversational English to undergrads for 12-15 hrs /wk and earning 30k for doing it. You'd be better off at a decent private school earning 45k for 20 classes/wk.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: