Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching privates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirby42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Teaching privates Reply with quote

I often hear from experienced English teachers that the best way to make money is to go find private students. Schools don't pay much and often demand tough hours. I've calculated that if I only had private students I'd make twice as much for half the work than working for a school.

Does anyone have any advice that they can share on cutting out the school and going solo? Is it sustainable? What about summer? What happens with taxes?
descartes123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that it can be unstable. I am not sure about taxes. Also how do you intend to get visa support, if you go solo?
elkotik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can definitely be unstable, especially in the summer and around New Year (even 23rd Feb/8th March). But of course it depends what relationship you build with people, how much you charge etc.

PM me regarding visas
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Definitely unstable... Reply with quote

As a way of supplementing your regular salary, private lessons can be a great way to save some money but there are many drawbacks:
Russian students can often be unreliable and not turn up for lessons or phone you with often feeble excuses at the last minute why they have to cancel.To avoid this leaving you out of pocket, I was warned from the very beginning to ask them to pay for one lesson up-front, for which they forfeit the money if they give you less than 24 hours notice.
Although I did meet some 'old-timers' who worked only with private students and made very good incomes, they had been there years and had wide list of contacts and recommendations, something which takes time, effort and patience to develop.
The best way to get started is to find work with a firm which guarantees you some hours so you can earn at least a basic salary and then build on it with private students.Taking a full-time job will most likely tie you down with your hours and make it very difficult for you to find time- and energy- to do any other work!Having arranged your work permit and paid taxes for you to work legally they are also not very likely to approve of you teaching other students on the side so discretion is essential!
elkotik

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, a lot of native teachers, particularly unqualified ones, tend to expect far too much.

I recall one girl demanding 3000rub to write 1 blog and post 3 times a day x 7 days (i.e. 21 posts) a week on Facebook to one company, then 5000rub a session to another to run a 'creative writing workshop'...

I also used to teach an Italian teacher (Russian citizen) whose previous teacher was an American and would never be able to explain anything, constantly giving answers like 'that's just the way it is' etc. He was a History teacher...and charged through the roof for this.

As soon as natives get to Moscow and get the impression every Russian has money to burn, they get greedy and demand more and more...as a result, potential students get put off and it becomes increasingly harder to find such people to teach.

Greedy natives.
kirby42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about paying tax? I'd be hoping to fill out my hours in the future with mainly private classes. Do many tutors even pay taxes for this? I'd rather do it by the book of course, but I've no idea how to go about it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: