Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

InEnglish Rome?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lisaktate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: InEnglish Rome? Reply with quote

I have just been offered a position with InEnglish in Rome. From the interview I have been told that I will be teaching in public schools as well as teaching private students. The salary seems really good for Italy too - 1400-1800. I just wondered if any of you know anything about it? Their website is www.inenglish.it

Thanks!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have an interview with them in person? Did they give you a contract to sign? It's rare for a school to hire sight unseen, so you might not be as far along in the process as you thought... However, check that the salary quoted to you is net, rather than "lordo" (gross). 1400 lordo might not even be 1000 in your pocket.

Another thing to check would be the type of teaching. The website gives the school's office address as a "scuola media" - a secondary school for students aged 11-14. It could be you'd be working exclusively with this age group...
lisaktate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your reply! I did a Skype interview with the didactic coordinator and although he didn't exactly offer me a position, he said he was compiling a list of candidates he wants for when he makes the final decision with the DoS and I am on that list. I am not sure that I will be offered a job with them, but I'm quite confident that my experience and qualifications put me in with a good chance.

They work in middle schools in the area, so I would be sent to a different school every day. I'm not sure how I feel about that as I've never done it before! I quite like having my own little classroom, but maybe it is a good idea to just jump in at the deep end!

The salary is definitely net, but the hours are pretty brutal from the sound of it. Monday-Saturday, with a few 08:00-20:00 shifts thrown in!

I'm pretty undecided! :/
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound like you have any illusions - a good start!

Scuole medie can be great - or draining. The good thing is that they generally only run in the morning (Mon-Sat 8am to 1.30pm ish) but you might have six 50-min classes in that time and there might also be afternoon work for KET preparation. Large class sizes, a mix of levels... (Generally nice teachers though!)
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8:00 AM ~ 8:00 PM?

Are you serious?

Monday ~ Saturday?

That's a terrible contract!

And for only 1,800 Euro a month?

Jesus.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the realities of working in Italy, Shimokitazawa! If it's of any consolation to you, many Italians work such hours - for far less pay...
lisaktate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the teaching hours will be between 23-30 so it may not be 6 days a week EVERY week, but I am crazily in love with Italy enough to put up with it! Smile
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always getting adverts for this school in my email inbox, so that immediately starts the alarm bells ringing.

I certainly wouldn't work those kind of hours, no matter how much I am in love with the school / job or country. Even if it's not 8 till 8 straight, I wouldn't do split shifts, or Saturdays either. I turned down a few positions in the summer because they wanted the teachers to carry out such obligations.

I have started at another school, but when I first met the owner, I made it clear to her what I was / was not prepared to do.

Personally, I would avoid this school, but good luck anyway.
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see they are advertising yet again!
Jdculver

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Lisaktate Reply with quote

Did you accept the position? If so, what is the school like?
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jd, if you are a US citizen (without a passport from an EU member country) you aren't legally eligible for jobs in Italy except under highly specialized circumstances.

You can always tell a scam: they will ask you to send money for something, usually 'visa services.' Don't fall for it.
Jdculver

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Spiral Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. My antenna is definitely up with all the recruiters spamming me. These boards have been pretty invaluable for research.

I have a Juris Doctor and professional/legal experience so I'm assuming all these companies want me for business English. I'm assuming my education/background is unique and serves as the basis for their recruitment. Perhaps I'm wrong. I'm not a fool or a pushover so if they are trying to scam me they'll be disappointed.

So far the only review seems to be from the OP. Everyone can have a bad experience even in the best of circumstances so I'm hoping to get more feedback.

I'll also ask to speak to a current teacher during the interview.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a Juris Doctor and professional/legal experience so I'm assuming all these companies want me for business English. I'm assuming my education/background is unique and serves as the basis for their recruitment.

Not knocking your experience but your quals are not necessary for private language school Business English courses. Almost every private language school teacher in Europe teaches B.E. - it's not a speciality.
The school wouldn't be able to get you a visa on this basis.

So, not saying you aren't special (though I do know quite a few teachers across the region with similar quals, frankly - I have done work in the field of law myself), but that this wouldn't be a legal basis for an exceptional visa.

Exceptional visas are only obtainable by proper international schools (they hire certified core subject teachers) and universities; a private language school would not be able to obtain one for you (or anyone).

As you know, no harm done by pursuing this, but just don't send any money to anyone, of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: