Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xeunis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Safety Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering how safe it is in Turkey right now? I have lived in Turkey in the past for one year and am pretty familiar with the area.

I'm currently considering positions in Istanbul and Ankara. I am aware of the U.S. Travel Warnings in both cities. I have friends currently in both cities and it seems safe enough to be out there. I was wondering if anyone else had any more insight.

Thank you in advance!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the million dollar question because no one can guarantee the country will remain safe tomorrow, next week, in two weeks, next month... Those of us who experienced the Arab spring in 2011 can attest to that. I've also worked in a war zone in the Mid East in which my colleagues and I each had a "to-go" tote bag nearby at all times for quick evacuation by the US Embassy. (We were on a State Dept project.) Fortunately, we were able to complete our contract but the reality of a quick exit was constant.

The point is, if you decide to live/work in a country where the socio-political environment has experienced some volatility and instability, make sure you have a solid plan in case you need to get the heck out if things go sour. Register for the US Embassy's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive security messages. These alerts were especially valuable during the Arab Spring. For example, I would get notice about planned demonstrations by the locals or that some (despised) ministry official would be in our vicinity. Some warnings advised we stay away from the area or avoid going out at all. When the situation got too hot, the messages were clear that we get out of the country.

Plan accordingly and err on the side of caution.
xeunis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you nomad soul! I really appreciate the input!
Lev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I guess many find the current situation safe enough, it is more the uncertainty about the future. Perhaps after the referendum it will become clearer which path Turkey may be heading down and perhaps whether we might be expecting more unrest or more stability. I, for one, don't know...
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Reply with quote

xeunis wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering how safe it is in Turkey right now? I have lived in Turkey in the past for one year and am pretty familiar with the area.

I'm currently considering positions in Istanbul and Ankara. I am aware of the U.S. Travel Warnings in both cities. I have friends currently in both cities and it seems safe enough to be out there. I was wondering if anyone else had any more insight.

Thank you in advance!

There haven't been any terrorist attacks in many months, but who knows what could happen later? I feel Istanbul's relatively safe, but the political situation is unstable, you won't be able to save much coin. Rents are expensive. And the lira could take another hit if things go south. If you don't care about money and just want to enjoy life, then come.
Lev

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rents can be expensive but some of the better institutions offer accommodation or give an allowance. Some also pay in dollars which not only means the currency is more stable, but any hit the lira takes can end up boosting their spending power further. I don't get paid in dollars unfortunately but still find saving quite manageable.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lev wrote:
Rents can be expensive but some of the better institutions offer accommodation or give an allowance. Some also pay in dollars which not only means the currency is more stable, but any hit the lira takes can end up boosting their spending power further. I don't get paid in dollars unfortunately but still find saving quite manageable.

You're talking about institutions that are not the majority. The majority of foreigners don't make more than 5,000 TL. And most don't make that. I am not talking with privates. Remember, the rents are quite high in relation to the rents. Yes, a small minority receive their pay in dollars or euros. It's not that common, though. Some universities will pay you 6 to 7,000, but not the majority. I would be satisfied with 6,500 TL at this juncture. You're lucky if you can save any money over here and travel back to your home country to visit family. That's the reality, I hate to say it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: