Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deciding on my first teaching post
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reblair79

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Deciding on my first teaching post Reply with quote

My story is that I am a UK resident, 38, just finished my degree and CELTA and ready to apply for teaching positions. I have looked at the following places and I will note the pros and cons I have discovered for me personally before moving on to Vietnam:

Spain: Good - Easy for an EU resident, nice country. Bad - not great pay and quite competitive for a non experienced teacher who does not speak Spanish either.

China: Good - chance to save money. Bad - pollution, lengthy visa process with extra hassle if you don't have two years teaching exp.

Thailand: Good - My fave place in the world so far. Bad - very low pay and from what I have read, the visa process looks like real hassle.

This leads me to Vietnam:

I think all roads are leading to Vietnam and somewhere like Apollo or ILA. I think applying for a posting with them and using their help with visa processing as well as other assistance such as the following will be ideal for reducing hassle in my first year which is a priority for me:

Visa and work permits organised and paid for by ILA
Relocation assistance
Health Insurance

The professional development with these places is also a priority.

I think Vietnam sounds really exciting too with decent money to be saved.

What are peoples thoughts on this? I plan to start applying for jobs starting in August. Thoughts on this time to look for jobs in Vietnam are welcome too.

Regards,

Ray
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray,

Firstly, I've always maintained that schools like ILA and Apollo are fine for a newbie. They can be fine for experienced teachers too and I know plenty of people who have worked at them for years. It's good that you've got the CELTA and degree and August should be a reasonable time for finding work. January and February are traditionally the worst. Anyway, it sounds like you've thought it through and I'm sure you'll do fine. Good luck!
reblair79

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
Hi Ray,

Firstly, I've always maintained that schools like ILA and Apollo are fine for a newbie. They can be fine for experienced teachers too and I know plenty of people who have worked at them for years. It's good that you've got the CELTA and degree and August should be a reasonable time for finding work. January and February are traditionally the worst. Anyway, it sounds like you've thought it through and I'm sure you'll do fine. Good luck!

Thanks bud
skarper

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you considered China you probably ought to have looked at Korea.

If you need to save money fast - or fastish - then Korea is far better than Vietnam now or indeed ever.

The work can be dull and the culture not everyone's cup of tea but it has it's plus points.

The visa process is a quagmire here. Many other threads on this aspect. Unlikely to change for the better any time soon either.

You have the basics to begin your TEFL adventure, so good luck with whatever you choose to do.

BTW - landing in Vietnam you NEED a 3 month emergency fund and the means to get a plane ticket out if things go badly. It doesn't matter who you work for, they may not like you or you might not like them....so you the need flexibility.

I always advise anybody to start on a temporary ad hoc basis and only commit to full time when you have vetted them. This is something you can do in Vietnam but cannot in Korea, which is a major plus.
reblair79

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't researched Korea as much as the others admittedly. I don't have a real explanation why to be honest. I think the other countries have seemed more appealing to me for various reasons. I really want to enjoy my first year teaching as a bad first year would not be good and could set a bad tone. The countries I have researched are countries I think would be very enjoyable and nice to be in.

With regards to the money to bring with me, I plan on having between £3000-£5000 as back up which I hopefully never need to use apart from the month before my first pay check or hiring a scooter etc.

Where was the 'visa quagmire'.. Vietnam or Korea?
skarper

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visa quagmire is here - i.e. Vietnam. Many threads about this which you ought to delve into. Don't assume your employer will magically smooth all this over, even if they say they will.

I don't think many people really enjoy their first year teaching. So many things can and will go wrong plus you will be working very hard to learn the job, or doing badly and that is miserable.

TBH it takes 3-5 years to find your 'groove' or niche. By which time most people start to get fed up anyway. Pity really.
imisssaitama

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stay away from Spain.

It's pretty easy to get work here but that's mostly because it has little to offer teachers in terms of pay and working conditions. Say goodbye to financial security and quality of life here. Expect to work tooth and nail just to keep your head above water unless you're willing to share an apartment with 8 total strangers. I'm leaving in a few days and I can't wait!
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The visa issues are largely the same throughout east Asia.

IF you have all of your documentation in order then it is not a big deal.
The issues come when people arrive here and do not have their necessary documentation ready.

Largely you will find that to facilitate your first and future visas throughout the region:
bring your original degree and an authenticated copy of your degree.
    . * authentication means different things in different countries.
    . * For those countries that are signatory to the apostille treaty then you need an apostille affixed.
    . * For those countries who are NOT members of the apostille treaty it will usually mean having a certified true copy of your degree authenticated at YOUR embassy in their country or THEIR embassy in your country.

Bring several sets of your "official" transcript of academic records in university sealed envelopes.
    Get a police check. IF you are from the UK then either ACRO or disclosure Scotland. For countries like Korea this too will need an apostille. For the others, no.
    For Vietnam, China and public schools in Korea you also NEED a 120 hour TEFL cert of some sort (20 hours face to face time for Korea).

Once you have all of your paperwork in order you can look for your flight.
http://www.momondo.co.uk/

Fly over and hit the ground running. You are ready to quickly get through the visa process in whichever country you decide to settle in.

skarper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above post while containing much good advice misses the main point about Vietnam.

Getting an employer to do their part of the WP process is usually the stumbling block.

You need to have a full time job with one employer and a contract for a year. Even then, many employers [even big names] just can't be bothered. Most people are working in multiple places and only for a few months at a stretch. This means you are doing visa runs or using a visa company.

OK - many people can live with this and focus on the positives. But it is as well to be aware of the issues.
reblair79

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:

The issues come when people arrive here and do not have their necessary documentation ready.

Largely you will find that to facilitate your first and future visas throughout the region:
    . * For those countries that are signatory to the apostille treaty then you need an apostille affixed.
    . * For those countries who are NOT members of the apostille treaty it will usually mean having a certified true copy of your degree authenticated at YOUR embassy in their country or THEIR embassy in your country.

Bring several sets of your "official" transcript of academic records in university sealed envelopes.
    Get a police check. IF you are from the UK then either ACRO or disclosure Scotland. For countries like Korea this too will need an apostille. For the others, no.
    For Vietnam, China and public schools in Korea you also NEED a 120 hour TEFL cert of some sort (20 hours face to face time for Korea).

Fly over and hit the ground running. You are ready to quickly get through the visa process in whichever country you decide to settle in.

I start with Wall Street English, HCMC at the end of August.

They are taking care of the arrival visa and work permit for me.

It will be a single entry visa on arrival. They said they will then arrange the work permit and I need to bring the following original documents:

BA
CELTA
Criminal background

They said the document authentication/notarisation (does this mean the same thing) needs to be done by the British Embassy IN Vietnam. The Medical will also be done in Vietnam.
tellersquill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reblair79 wrote:
suphanburi wrote:

I start with Wall Street English, HCMC at the end of August.

They are taking care of the arrival visa and work permit for me.

It will be a single entry visa on arrival. They said they will then arrange the work permit and I need to bring the following original documents:

BA
CELTA
Criminal background

They said the document authentication/notarisation (does this mean the same thing) needs to be done by the British Embassy IN Vietnam. The Medical will also be done in Vietnam.

Did you get a basic disclosure or the DBS?

I just got my basic disclosure where it says I haven't any convictions, but I hear of some people paying the extra and getting the extensive version.

I've been told not to worry about it as they hardly check these things but I'm curious to hear which one you applied for.
SeldomSeen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

BA
CELTA
Criminal background

That should be fine. Wall Street are a reputable company and what they've said is true. The notorisation can be done at the British Consulate in HCMC. It costs about $50 per document but is a straightforward process but you need to go to their website to get an appointment.
reblair79

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the Basic Disclosure from the Scottish Government site.

https://www.mygov.scot/basic-disclosure/apply-for-basic-disclosure/

Yeah they seem pretty good. Very professional.

I have done a lot of research and finding it very hard to find any negatives with them. I'm looking forward to getting going.
tellersquill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeldomSeen wrote:
Quote:

BA
CELTA
Criminal background

That should be fine. Wall Street are a reputable company and what they've said is true. The notorisation can be done at the British Consulate in HCMC. It costs about $50 per document but is a straightforward process but you need to go to their website to get an appointment.

I've never understood the whole notarising thing - I mean, its sent from the governments official records, the document doesn't need to be made official as it already is.

I'll do it because I have to, but I really resent paying the $50
PlushSky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
Get a police check. IF you are from the UK then either ACRO or disclosure Scotland.

In looking to obtain the criminal records clearance, my govt's website https://www.gov.uk/copy-of-police-records states:

Quote:
You have the right to ask for a copy of records the police have about you. This is called a ‘subject access request’.

You might need a subject access request if you move to another country.

A subject access request has records from:

police forces in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Jersey and the Isle of Man
the British Transport Police
You can make a subject access request to the ACRO Criminal Records Office (ACRO) - it costs £10"....

[Alternatively] You can request a police certificate from ACRO if you need it for your visa application for:

Australia
Belgium
Canada
New Zealand
South Africa
the USA
It costs either:

£45 to get the certificate in 10 working days
£80 for a 2 day premium service

Am I right in assuming the "subject access request" would be sufficient for a criminal record check and would be notarised by the Consulate? Obviously I'm not applying for a visa for the countries listed
and this is technically for a work permit.

This site: https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/overview states

Quote:
Only employers and licensing bodies can request a DBS check. Job applicants can’t do a criminal records check on themselves. Instead, they can request a basic disclosure from Disclosure Scotland (you don’t have to be from Scotland to do this).

That link leads here: https://www.mygov.scot/basic-disclosure/ (basic disclosure costs £25).

Can anybody say with reasonable confidence which I would need here? I've lived in England my entire life. Doing the CELTA course in Vietnam in August.

Any responses much appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: