Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to expect when youre a Newbie?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AMF08D

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: What to expect when youre a Newbie? Reply with quote

Let me start by saying I have been reading and researching about teaching abroad for over a year now and have a few questions about what to expect.

From the start of this journey I have basically settled on Korea because of the financial benefits (pay/cost of living/flight reimbursement/housing). However, since the change in the US political climate seems to have ramped up tensions in the North, Korea is quickly becoming a fading option.

With that in mind, I would love to work in Japan but from what I've read, it is difficult to secure a job and even more difficult to maintain financial stability.

I am also trying to secure a job with my SO and have found that if a couple is not married it is very difficult to find placement in the same city (which is a priority for us).

We both have our BA's in English and are TEFL certified through a University ELP with 120 hours (44 in class practicum with students). Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, especially the brutally honest.

Lastly, I just want to say that Dave's has been a wonderful resource and I want to thank everyone who contributes to helping others out of the kindness of their hearts. Looking forward to hearing from the community.

Best wishes-
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option: Head south of the border. Mexico, Central and South America seem to offer the type of flexibility you and your partner seek.
AMF08D

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad,

I have considered those destinations but Im curious to know why you feel Japan would not be a viable option.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMF08D wrote:
Nomad,

I have considered those destinations but Im curious to know why you feel Japan would not be a viable option.

It is highly competitive, expensive, and high start up costs for a newbie couple.

China is a viable option. Low start-up costs (housing is usually supplied), low cost of living (unless you opt for a tier 1 city), decent savings potential. You CAN find work while you are sitting at home.

SE Asia:
Vietnam - Savings potential equal or greater than Korea. Some startup costs (housing, airfare, etc).

Thailand - easy to find work. Low start up costs. A decent place for a newbie to get their feet wet. Don't settle for some 30k thb job from the internet. Get here and find work on the ground. No worry if an unmarried couple.

Myanmar: easy to find work. Higher start-up costs (housing) and regular visa runs to Thailand.

Cambodia & Laos: easy to find work. Hard to save money (very low wages). Easy lifestyle.

Malaysia, Indonesia, etc: issues with an unmarried couple (Muslim majority countries).

AMF08D

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suphanburi,

Thank you for your input. Vietnam/Thailand were our fallbacks if Japan became unrealistic, which it seems to be. From your post, I'm assuming you are in Thailand? What are the living/teaching conditions like there and does it provide the opportunity to explore/travel? While both of us take starting our careers in teaching very seriously, it would be completely dishonest for me to pretend as if we are not drawn to an exciting experience overseas. As we are both still in our early 20's, we hope to take advantage of everything that part of the world has to offer while gaining teaching experience and further developing our resumes.
Alien abductee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMF08D wrote:
Suphanburi,

Thank you for your input. Vietnam/Thailand were our fallbacks if Japan became unrealistic, which it seems to be. From your post, I'm assuming you are in Thailand? What are the living/teaching conditions like there and does it provide the opportunity to explore/travel?

Just check out the Thailand forum MOD EDIT
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMF08D wrote:
Suphanburi,

Thank you for your input. Vietnam/Thailand were our fallbacks if Japan became unrealistic, which it seems to be. From your post, I'm assuming you are in Thailand? What are the living/teaching conditions like there and does it provide the opportunity to explore/travel? While both of us take starting our careers in teaching very seriously, it would be completely dishonest for me to pretend as if we are not drawn to an exciting experience overseas. As we are both still in our early 20's, we hope to take advantage of everything that part of the world has to offer while gaining teaching experience and further developing our resumes.

I assume you are American?

Buy a plane ticket and land here. There are lots of 40-50k jobs for anyone with a degree and a TEFL cert even though the 1st semester started about 2 weeks ago.
40k thb may not sound like much from your living room in the states but 2x40k salaries will pretty much let you do anything while you get settled and find your way around the EFL industry.

If you don't find what you want here then it is an easy hop to the other countries in the region.

Travel? domestic travel is cheap and easy. Bus fare or airfare will usually run from $20-50.
Most of SE Asia is within a 90 minute flight and airfares run around US$100 (return) for regional flights.
You can travel visa free as a tourist to about 1/2 of the countries in ASEAN.

The hardest part will be actually buying your plane ticket and then getting on the plane. The only thing to remember is that being a teacher is NOT the same as being a tourist. The work is 8-4, M-F.
The 8 week holiday breaks are when you get your travel and touristing (lots of it) done.

Jmbf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:

China is a viable option. Low start-up costs (housing is usually supplied), low cost of living (unless you opt for a tier 1 city), decent savings potential. You CAN find work while you are sitting at home.

SE Asia:
Vietnam - Savings potential equal or greater than Korea. Some startup costs (housing, airfare, etc).

Thailand - easy to find work. Low start up costs. A decent place for a newbie to get their feet wet. Don't settle for some 30k thb job from the internet. Get here and find work on the ground. No worry if an unmarried couple.

Myanmar: easy to find work. Higher start-up costs (housing) and regular visa runs to Thailand.

Cambodia & Laos: easy to find work. Hard to save money (very low wages). Easy lifestyle.

Malaysia, Indonesia, etc: issues with an unmarried couple (Muslim majority countries).

+1. I think this is good advice.

I'll add Hong Kong to the list. It has the highest living costs of the bunch but also the highest earning and savings potential. Convenience, healthcare and safety are also very good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: