Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Angloville-work without pay!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Angloville-work without pay! Reply with quote

Angloville are advertising for teachers to work in places like Ireland, the UK and Malta this summer for NO PAY!

TEFL Poland-the race to the bottom.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Uhh... Reply with quote

If Angloville is advertising for Ireland, the UK and Malta, how does that reflect poorly on TEFL Poland?

Angloville isn't even based in Poland, they just run courses there.

You're really grasping at straws here to float this idea that TEFL Poland is the devil.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: really..behave yourself Reply with quote

They run courses in Poland without pay too.

And, outside Warsaw EFL Poland barely pays a living wage.

I live there Shake. You?

The salary of 50 PLN/hour hasn't changed in more than a decade, make that 2. Jeez, I was making that in 1996 there and up to 200/hour teaching accountants at PWC.

Now most teachers are on zero-hour contracts ie self-employed which means companies don't even pay your ZUS (insurance).

Just my staircase cost 14,000 PLN and it's pretty bog standard. How you gonna save on 50 PLN/hour?
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: really..behave yourself Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
They run courses in Poland without pay too.

And, outside Warsaw EFL Poland barely pays a living wage.

I live there Shake. You?

The salary of 50 PLN/hour hasn't changed in more than a decade, make that 2. Jeez, I was making that in 1996 there and up to 200/hour teaching accountants at PWC.

Now most teachers are on zero-hour contracts ie self-employed which means companies don't even pay your ZUS (insurance).

Just my staircase cost 14,000 PLN and it's pretty bog standard. How you gonna save on 50 PLN/hour?
Your answer to your question is in your post: instead of making 50PLN/hour, make 200. I've highlighted it for you so it's easier to spot.

What, you don't think it's possible to make 200PLN/hour today teaching wealthy clients? Why is your case such a miraculous exception?

British Council pay scale topped out at 119PLN/hour when I left in 2014. That's a livable wage, and they were usually hiring.

I agree that the zero-hour contract nonsense is annoying, but at least ZUS is lower the first two years you work.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

The BC rate in Poznan is less than 70. I know because I had a meeting with them.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
The BC rate in Poznan is less than 70. I know because I had a meeting with them.

Hmmm, looking for work in bargain-basement Poland these days, dragonpiwo?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Think I'll be back soon. Don't know for how long. The 'ization' programme where I'm working and the low price of oil might see our centre taken over in the company restructuring. Not if but when I guess.

Some really duff jobs/rotations around and I'm not sure I want to go to KSA with the missus, so Poland it may be for a while.

Family circumstances have changed ie people died.
Sgt Bilko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've probably posted this before in response to a similar posting by Dragonpiwo, but way back in 1995 I did an unpaid summer camp in Zakopane. I got three meals a day, entertainment, saw a lot of the area which I wouldn't have seen otherwise and, in return, I had to teach conversation classes for a couple of hours in the morning and chat in English on the walks / in the evenings.

There were three other, unqualified, students from England who also came out so I was their mentor and had a pile of lesson ideas for them to use. We had a couple of afternoons off and none of us complained at the end of it - we'd had a great time.

I understand that this wouldn't suit older people - I certainly couldn't afford to do it now as I've got a family and house to pay for - but I guess it isn't really aimed at us. I would never dissuade a younger person (thinking of my nephews/nieces who are at college now) to do it. It would be a fantastic experience.

Of course, if they are demanding five years experience and a DELTA, that's a different matter.
sparks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time with it because angloville does this for profit. the students pay to be there angloville makes money and the teachers or conversationalists or whatever get? 6 pierogies and a hard bed ? they got my contact info from the internet and wrote to me about joining their two-bit scheme this summer. i savoured writing them a hearty **** -you reply.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Sparks Reply with quote

I wish there was a like button on here. Great response to them!
Master Shake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Bilko on this. Why dissuade someone from doing it? As long as Angloville is up front and honest about what you're getting.

Making the Poles pay for native speaker exposure is a smart business move. The company has to make money somehow. The fact they sell it to natives as 'a cultural experience' and not a poorly paid summer teaching gig actually works makes it sound more attractive.

And the fresh-off-the-boat native speakers that take up this kind of offer are probably, in many cases, more interesting characters than the established, DELTA-qualified ones who've lived in Poland way too long.
sparks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hot d***! In that case why don't they just re-open an old coal mine and invite people to come work for free? What a cultural experience... All the black lung you can breathe up in a week, get into shape swinging a pick, explore Poland from below the Earth's surface... Sounds like a dream? It can all be yours if you just shell out for a plane ticket over here.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks, I like how you compare chatting with Poles at a resort to working in a coal mine. Very Happy Maybe Angloville can combine the 2 activities and re-brand itself Anglocoalville?

But seriously, does anyone here actually think what Angloville is doing is morally wrong?

I mean, I totally understand that none of us on this forum would opt to teach for them - we have far better options. But I don't get the outrage. For some, this might be a great opportunity to 'try out' teaching and living in Poland.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

of course it's morally wrong.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:

But seriously, does anyone here actually think what Angloville is doing is morally wrong?

I mean, I totally understand that none of us on this forum would opt to teach for them - we have far better options. But I don't get the outrage. For some, this might be a great opportunity to 'try out' teaching and living in Poland.

Yes, it is. They're using a foundation so they can avoid the rules that prohibit private businesses from using unpaid labour, for instance.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: