Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone made the transition from Asia (SE/NE) to LA?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanglish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudz wrote:
Wow 600,000? Can one really live off of that?

Nope.
CTravel32

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 or 3 mil is maybe not low end, persay, especially by local standards, but it is not a great salary to make moving half way around the globe worth it. I would stay in Japan.

I did not have a teaching license when I got my first job at a colegio in Bogota, where I was a teacher for two years. I still do not, and have another job at another good school.
Sudz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah by local standards I would think that'd be a comfortable salary. It would be a pay cut, but I wouldn't be moving for the pay, more the lifestyle. Currently enjoying my current job here though - especially after growing accustomed to it - so this move would likely be further down the road (if at all).
CTravel32

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is not too personal. I am curious, what about the life style interests you?
Sudz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. Rather than saying I'm interested in the lifestyle, it would have been more accurate to say I'm interested in a change - different people, language, climate, food, etc.

Honestly though, in my 4 years here, I would say that I'm enjoying more now than I ever have in the past, so this might be a little down the road. However, I will say that I do find myself missing good-ole hot, rough around the edges SE Asia at times (it can feel a little rigid here), though I'll have a better sense of how much I miss it when I go back for a visit (hopefully) this year.

I might be romanticizing South America, though I have always wanted to visit, and feel it might share some of the qualities I enjoyed about SE Asia (even though I realize they're very different places).

To summarize: change is good (sometimes)
CTravel32

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend Medellin, which feels like spring nearly all the time. I am here in Bogota where it feels like it is always raining (well, not always, but you know). In fact, it is pouring as I type this. I always laugh because you can tell the foreigners who are fresh off the plane because they are wearing shorts, t-shirt and sandals thinking this is some tropical warm place. Nope, nights can get really chilly and even during the day, it can be quite cold.

Yes, change is good. I am leaving Colombia after three years for my own change. I very seriously toyed around with Myanmar but cost of moving was too much despite a decent salary. My sights are set on Guatemala now. With the salary I will be getting compared to cost of living (and what is commonly quoted here) I should be able to save up for that really big change to SEA within two years, and, who knows maybe eventually Myanmar!

So any way, good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: