Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Murder in Myanmar
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several off-topic postings have been deleted. The next such posting will result in sanctions and disappearance of this thread.

Es verdad.
CTravel32

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at photos in some of these articles. Is that really a typical place for a foreigner to live in Myanmar? Yikes. Looks sketchy and really dirty.

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/11/burma-british-school-teacher-murdered-yangon/
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have done some research about the recent history of Burma and the current state of affairs in Myanmar if you are considering moving there.

Fifty years of military rule and civil war can hold a country back in terms of development. When the country finally opened up a few years ago, the lack of decent housing and offices caused rents to rise to exorbitant rates.

Here's a bit of info from wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myanmar#Economy):

Quote:
"Myanmar is one of the poorest nations in Southeast Asia, suffering from decades of stagnation, mismanagement and isolation. The lack of an educated workforce skilled in modern technology hinders Myanmar's economy, although recent reforms and developments carried out by the new government, in collaboration with foreign countries and organisations aim to make this a thing of the past.

"Myanmar lacks adequate infrastructure. Goods travel primarily across the Thai border (where most illegal drugs are exported) and along the Irrawaddy River. Railways are old and rudimentary, with few repairs since their construction in the late 19th century. Highways are normally unpaved, except in the major cities."
CTravel32

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure did. But I also saw a lot of new, (some Chinese built) high raise apartments for like 600 to 1000 USD, some higher than 1000 of course. Is that a school supplied apartment (yikes) or is it one they picked on their own? Because if it is the later, I can not imagine that being better than what the school could supply (although they never did actually supply me with actual pictures, just links to a rental page so that is just a guess on my part).
simon44

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Sure did. But I also saw a lot of new, (some Chinese built) high raise apartments for like 600 to 1000 USD, some higher than 1000 of course. Is that a school supplied apartment (yikes) or is it one they picked on their own? Because if it is the later, I can not imagine that being better than what the school could supply (although they never did actually supply me with actual pictures, just links to a rental page so that is just a guess on my part).

I've taught in Myanmar since 2012, so have some experience of accommodation.

First, please remember that Myanmar is one of the poorest countries in Asia. So you really cannot expect to live in luxurious surroundings - you need to be realistic.

That being said, there are usually 3 different types of accommodation made available to foreign teachers:

1 - Stay in a hotel (paid by the school). This scenario typically exists where there is no suitable private-rent houses or apartments, (such as in Mandalay), or where it is not allowed for a foreigner to rent a private house or condo (such as in Naypyidaw, where I currently teach).

2 - School apartments. To overcome the shortage of private-rent accommodation, some schools, such as Horizon, have built their own apartment blocks for their foreign teachers.

3 - Private-rent. Although there is a shortage of private-rent houses and apartments in Yangon, it should be possible to find something suitable, especially if you use the services of an accommodation agent (your school should pay their 1-month fee) for finding the apartment. One problem is that apartment owners typically ask for 6 to 12 months of rent in advance. Your school should lend you this money at 0% interest.

Edit:

Concerning your OP and the link to the newspaper article and photo. Well, that is a typical, older condo building in the centre of Yangon. I used to rent the top floor in such a building for about $120 a month. But there are plenty of new buildings as well. I actually liked living in the 'China Town' area of Yangon, where many of these older condo buildings are located.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: