Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Money not a priority? Check. I have other priorities, though

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie123

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Money not a priority? Check. I have other priorities, though Reply with quote

I am an ESL instructor with many years experience. I have worked in many countries all over the world. I have some very well-known universities on my CV. Currently I'm teaching in the Middle East, and I have put away enough money to make retirement plausible in the next fiver years or so. I'm not ready to retire though, and I have some other personal projects that I want to work on, which brings me to why I'm thinking of going to Thailand.

I love Thailand and it has been my vacation spot for years. I feel comfortable in Bangkok, and Chang Mai, and there are probably other cities that I would like also. I want to get a teaching job but I don't want to work very hard. I need the visa more than anything else, plus healthcare since I'm an American and Americans have to worry about healthcare wherever they go. I don't really need much money, but I don't want to work full-time. The idea is to also teac h online, which I can do anywhere.

I would prefer a university, but that's not a deal-breaker. Where should I try to find a job?
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching for a visa is a recipe for failure. If you are 50; visas are easy. It is not only Americans, who need health insurance e here. I use Tokio Marine. A lot of the policies that come with the teaching jobs have limits that are pitifully low. You might get some free visits, but it is nowhere near thorough coverage. Universities might pay about 30k, and the better ones want a Masters. Perhaps, study Thai and get an Ed visa.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hermosillo wrote:
Universities might pay about 30k, and the better ones want a Masters..

Masters, check. English literature. Tell me about Tokio Marine.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retirement visa:

The client must be at least 50 years of age or over during the time of the application.
The client must meet the financial requirement which could be any of the following:
    Security deposit of 800,000 baht in a Thai bank; or
    A monthly income or pension of 65,000 baht; or
    A total of 800,000 baht combination of personal bank deposit and income or pension for the entire year.

Then you can do your on-line thing and not worry.
There are lots of affordable medical options providing there are no preexisting conditions to worry about.
IF you have preexisting conditions you can still get insurance but the condition will be excluded from covered treatment.
Costs will depend on age.

AIA, BUPA, and a couple of Thai insurance agencies are available.
Cover costs from as low as 50k baht per hospital visit to full cover and prices from $30-300/month.
https://www.bupa.co.th/en/individuals.aspx

Charlie123

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Sounds like an option. I think I can scratch up 800K baht. Then the insurance is the only real obstacle.....

How do I get the ball rolling on the over 50 visa thing? do people generally come in on a tourist visa and then apply when they are in the country?

Also, how do I find a nice place to live? Comfy and cheap. I hear AC is an issue, sometimes.

suphanburi wrote:
Retirement visa:

The client must be at least 50 years of age or over during the time of the application.
The client must meet the financial requirement which could be any of the following:
    Security deposit of 800,000 baht in a Thai bank; or
    A monthly income or pension of 65,000 baht; or
    A total of 800,000 baht combination of personal bank deposit and income or pension for the entire year.

Then you can do your on-line thing and not worry.
There are lots of affordable medical options providing there are no preexisting conditions to worry about.
IF you have preexisting conditions you can still get insurance but the condition will be excluded from covered treatment.
Costs will depend on age.

AIA, BUPA, and a couple of Thai insurance agencies are available.
Cover costs from as low as 50k baht per hospital visit to full cover and prices from $30-300/month.
https://www.bupa.co.th/en/individuals.aspx

Hermosillo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokio Marine bought Houston Casualty....www.HCC.com. You would be getting travel medical which is slightly different than Heath insurance...mainly they don't cover cancer...but the limits are much higher, and they are actually rated (quite highly) by the rating agencies, which the Thai companies are not. There is a global network of providers and they can pay your bill electronically while you re waiting for your prescriptions. You can do it in blocks of 1-364 days indefinitely, and if you are from US, you can buy after your trip has started. Preexisting coverage ius actually covered better...like 100K USD Instead of one million. So if the bill is say 10,000 USD..it would be covered anyway, and there won't be an investigation !ike the others would do. O-A can only be obtained at the Embassy or three consulates in the US...but some start the process at a neighboring country with a 90 day O.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Cancer's kind of a biggie. If I get it, I want an air conditioned room and plenty of the morphine drip....

Hermosillo wrote:
Tokio Marine bought Houston Casualty....www.HCC.com. You would be getting travel medical which is slightly different than Heath insurance...mainly they don't cover cancer...but the limits are much higher, and they are actually rated (quite highly) by the rating agencies, which the Thai companies are not. There is a global network of providers and they can pay your bill electronically while you re waiting for your prescriptions. You can do it in blocks of 1-364 days indefinitely, and if you are from US, you can buy after your trip has started. Preexisting coverage ius actually covered better...like 100K USD Instead of one million. So if the bill is say 10,000 USD..it would be covered anyway, and there won't be an investigation !ike the others would do. O-A can only be obtained at the Embassy or three consulates in the US...but some start the process at a neighboring country with a 90 day O.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would likely have time to get back in the us and get insured. At 65, you are going to be better off there on medicare, anyway. I wouldn't hold my breath on the better cancer drugs in Thailand.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep on drinking my pomegranate juice....
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the 800k or 65k.....For Americans and a few others they will accept an affidavit notarized by the Embassy or US Consulate...cost 1800 THB or so and then needs another stamp from MFA....the whole statement could be false as many are. As more older foreigners turn up destitute, they may close this loophole. You are also subject to more scrutiny at extension time. The 65k is suppose to be brought in. You can buy fixed deposits with the 800k and it is just better, IMO. I get interest monthly and free ATM nationwide with my deposit. Many married guys take the 800k option to just keep it simple. They may visit your home on a marriage visa and have more ever changing requirements...like photos of you and your spouse sitting on a bed.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can raise that much cash. The thing is, I want to work part time -- perhaps at a university. I am assuming that I cannot do that on a retirement visa...Do you knoiw what the workaround is? I don't want to work under the table.

Hermosillo wrote:
As far as the 800k or 65k.....For Americans and a few others they will accept an affidavit notarized by the Embassy or US Consulate...cost 1800 THB or so and then needs another stamp from MFA....the whole statement could be false as many are. As more older foreigners turn up destitute, they may close this loophole. You are also subject to more scrutiny at extension time. The 65k is suppose to be brought in. You can buy fixed deposits with the 800k and it is just better, IMO. I get interest monthly and free ATM nationwide with my deposit. Many married guys take the 800k option to just keep it simple. They may visit your home on a marriage visa and have more ever changing requirements...like photos of you and your spouse sitting on a bed.
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss teaching and would also like some slacker part time hobby, but can not on Retirement visa. Extremely rare to get WP with retirement visa....even rare to get WP for part time because the schools are to stingy to pay for it. All other occupations are forbidden...unless you want to get in deep. An Ozzie bought a coffee shop and had the four Thai employees, but wanted to work there...cost him 300,000 for a WP With high rent in the tourist area, he is likely making about 50 THB per hour. What you do online is your business, and as long as you don't have business in LOS..you are clear. Online teaching g would be fine, but the Chinese are difficult....everything is one-sided in their favor....I trade stocks online...I have my own internet for 500 per month...25/10....fast enough. I play with a few million THB, and am certainly sustainable, without the bureaucratic nonsense that teaching offers. I think the schools that allow you to leave are the rare exception, and it is just too easy for them to say "nine to five.". It seems to be in every bureaucrats blood/mindset as well as the whole office monkey thing.
Charlie123

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is LOS?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie123 wrote:
What is LOS?

The Land of Smiles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: