Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recruitment Agencies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScarletDom93

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Recruitment Agencies Reply with quote

I'm not overly keen on the 'boots on the ground' concept with regards to finding jobs. Maybe it's just my cautious personality Laughing

Has anyone had any recent experience with any recruitment agencies? There are so many around and I don't know how to separate the good from the bad, if it is at all possible? I understand they are just a 'middle man' for schools/centres but if anyone has any recent experience of any agencies that would be helpful.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Recruitment Agencies Reply with quote

ScarletDom93 wrote:
I'm not overly keen on the 'boots on the ground' concept with regards to finding jobs. Maybe it's just my cautious personality Laughing

Has anyone had any recent experience with any recruitment agencies? There are so many around and I don't know how to separate the good from the bad, if it is at all possible? I understand they are just a 'middle man' for schools/centres but if anyone has any recent experience of any agencies that would be helpful.

A lot would depend on "where in the world" you want to go and what flavor of passport you carry.

Korea, Japan - a recruiter or personal connections are a necessary evil.
    SE Asia, boots on the ground (unless you are a licensed teacher looking at IB or CIE schools).
    Mexico - don't know.
    S. America - boots on the ground.
    Europe (if you are qualified for a visa) then you need to be there to interview unless you are looking at one of those "government sponsored internship" programs.
    Middle East - recruiter.
    Most other countries, if you can get in without a visa and job search then that is usually your best option and then do a visa run to get your work visa.

Make damn sure you have ALL of the correct visa documents for your chosen country/region BEFORE you fly.
Trying to get documentation (police check, apostilles, etc) prepared from abroad is a nightmare at the best of times and sometimes impossible without a trip home again.

getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of an excellent recruiter if you want to go down that route. I will send pm with details now in a bit.
taikibansei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:

Korea, Japan - a recruiter or personal connections are a necessary evil.

Not true of Japan (and an example of why it's always best to ask on that country's board).

For the better Japanese employers (universities, the JET Program, the bigger eikaiwas, etc.), you apply directly--even from overseas. Also, personal connections matter most when applying to a BOE for a "direct hire" high school ALT position. They are not needed for most jobs--I have been hired multiple times (including twice from overseas), and all without personal connections.

Basically, recruiters /dispatch agencies in Japan hire for a narrow range of jobs--mostly "non direct hire" high school ALT positions. With a few notable exceptions, these employers are also the source of most of the horror stories floating about. (Among other things, the recruiters /dispatch agencies will take about one half of your monthly salary...as a management fee.)
panatelladavid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recommendations for a reputable china recruiter?

Many thanks in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: