Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Place to Save Money With an MA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baggio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Best Place to Save Money With an MA? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

My girlfriend and I are considering our next move and we're currently looking at going back to Asia. I posted in the HK section but was told to look at Korea if I wanted to save money, posted on the Korean forum and was told to try Thailand to save money. So currently feeling somewhat confused.

Where is the best place to save money on the continent? China I know will be the probable answer, but already done a year there and have no intention of going back. We also have experience of Korea.

Both have MA TESOL's and 3 years experience in Asia and Europe.

Thanks
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Best Place to Save Money With an MA? Reply with quote

Baggio wrote:
Hi folks,

My girlfriend and I are considering our next move and we're currently looking at going back to Asia. I posted in the HK section but was told to look at Korea if I wanted to save money, posted on the Korean forum and was told to try Thailand to save money. So currently feeling somewhat confused.

Where is the best place to save money on the continent? China I know will be the probable answer, but already done a year there and have no intention of going back. We also have experience of Korea.

Thanks

A lot will depend on what else you have beyond the MA TESOL, where the MA was obtained and whether your research was published or did you just slide by with comprehensive exams.

Another factor is the length of time you have in the classroom (pre and post MA)

IF you have 2 years post MA experience at the tertiary level then Korea is a good option for a uni position. If not then EPIK is what it was and still is with pay scales that haven't changed since 2002.

If you have no tertiary teaching experience post MA then Thailand is an option. The jobs pay crap but with 12 instruction hours plus 4 classroom hours there is lots of room for supplemental pay opportunities. It is pretty easy to save money but just as easy to spend money if you like to enjoy the "western" lifestyle and spend weekends doing tourist stuff.

IF you are reasonably well spoken and have some conference presentations and/or publications under your belt then additional work on the workshop/guest speaker circuit provides options.

Vietnam is a viable choice. Salaries in the US$2k range are attainable for qualified individuals. With the very low cost of living it is easy to save money. It is also easy to spend money too if you want to live the "high life".

If money is the driving factor then the MA TESOL was probably not the best choice. A teacher qualification that included licensure would have been a better use of your time and money.
    eg: Thailand
    A university position as a guest lecturer in the foreign language department pays US$1500 /month with no benefits on a 10 -12 month contract. It MAY include 2-6 weeks of vacation time.
    Properly accredited, top end International school positions pay up to US$3k-4k+ a nice benefits package (including 10+ weeks of annual vacation time) on a 24 month contract.

wailing_imam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore. Apply for a job at one of the university or tertiary level institutions. It's expensive, but as a couple, you should be able to live well and save a decent amount.
Baggio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Place to Save Money With an MA? Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
Baggio wrote:
Hi folks,

Thanks

A lot will depend on what else you have beyond the MA TESOL, where the MA was obtained and whether your research was published or did you just slide by with comprehensive exams.

Another factor is the length of time you have in the classroom (pre and post MA)

IF you have 2 years post MA experience at the tertiary level then Korea is a good option for a uni position. If not then EPIK is what it was and still is with pay scales that haven't changed since 2002.

If you have no tertiary teaching experience post MA then Thailand is an option. The jobs pay crap but with 12 instruction hours plus 4 classroom hours there is lots of room for supplemental pay opportunities. It is pretty easy to save money but just as easy to spend money if you like to enjoy the "western" lifestyle and spend weekends doing tourist stuff.

IF you are reasonably well spoken and have some conference presentations and/or publications under your belt then additional work on the workshop/guest speaker circuit provides options.

Vietnam is a viable choice. Salaries in the US$2k range are attainable for qualified individuals. With the very low cost of living it is easy to save money. It is also easy to spend money too if you want to live the "high life".

If money is the driving factor then the MA TESOL was probably not the best choice. A teacher qualification that included licensure would have been a better use of your time and money.
    eg: Thailand
    A university position as a guest lecturer in the foreign language department pays US$1500 /month with no benefits on a 10 -12 month contract. It MAY include 2-6 weeks of vacation time.
    Properly accredited, top end International school positions pay up to US$3k-4k+ a nice benefits package (including 10+ weeks of annual vacation time) on a 24 month contract.

Thanks for that. The MA was obtained in the UK (all on campus, no online nonsense), didn't get anything published but got a commendation in my overall grading.

2 years pre-MA in hagwons in China and Korea and a year post-MA in a private language school in Italy. Nothing uni related.

The idea is to save enough money in SEA to go back to the UK and do the PGCE to eventually earn better money. The MA was definitely the wrong choice in retrospect.
reblair79

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Place to Save Money With an MA? Reply with quote

[/quote]

Thanks for that. The MA was obtained in the UK (all on campus, no online nonsense)

[/quote]

That could sound belittling to people who may have worked extremely hard to obtain a qualification in this way.

Are you referring to qualifications obtained through The Open University for example?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: