Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

With me on a work visa, what are my wife's options?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bozo Yoroshiku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: With me on a work visa, what are my wife's options? Reply with quote

Is there any recent info someone can point me towards regarding spousal or partner visas? Does my wife need to get one before entering, or can it be done once she has arrived on a tourist visa?

She will be on a British passport, but not working. She may want to pick something up part-time in the future, maybe.

Also, will bringing our cat be a problem?
timothypfox

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't answer about your wife because I'm less knowledgeable. But you need to google the cat question carefully. Japan is officially a rabies free country and as such has strict quarantine procedures for cats. The process in your home country (if you are entering from a country with rabies) is about 6 months or longer. Here is the webpage to get you started with a downloadable PDF. http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/dog/import-other.html
Harp

Location: As far north as you can get, before you hit Saitama

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are getting a work visa then your wife will be able to apply for a dependent visa on the back of your application. Please note the terminology, this is not a spouse visa, those are for husbands/wives of Japanese nationals.

Both applications can be done at the same time and better if you do as it saves time and hassle, whoever is arranging your visa should be able to do this as well. You need to prove your marriage by submitting your marriage cert but otherwise it's fairly straightforward, in fact I think you use the same forms but just tick a different box on the application form.

She will not be able to work on the dependent visa but she will be able to apply for a work permit (not a work visa) when she's in Japan; this would allow her to work for up to 28 hours per week, so not full time but still a reasonable amount. The application is made at immigration and again is very straight forward, takes about 2 weeks or so to get and I believe is free.
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do this before coming to Japan.
Don't know how long quarantine is.
I think it takes place at an airport.

My wife brought a dog in from the US, and I think the dog had to spend two weeks at Itami airport.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read the link above as quarantine can be up to 6 months. Policies change and the last thing you want is huge disappointment when traveling with your cat. Cat travel is going to be much more work than filing paperwork for your wife. But, you can avoid quarantine if follow the steps above. Airports do not provide food or litter. So again, please read the government link above with all the information so you can get your cat various shots, blood tests, and micro-chipped, and certified. You will need a proper cage and the airline may have its own regulation and fees regarding pets as well.
marley'sghost

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timothypfox wrote:
Please read the link above as quarantine can be up to 6 months. Policies change and the last thing you want is huge disappointment when traveling with your cat. Cat travel is going to be much more work than filing paperwork for your wife. But, you can avoid quarantine if follow the steps above. Airports do not provide food or litter. So again, please read the government link above with all the information so you can get your cat various shots, blood tests, and micro-chipped, and certified. You will need a proper cage and the airline may have its own regulation and fees regarding pets as well.

Dang. Compared to all that, getting a work permit is a piece of cake.
Bozo Yoroshiku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll leave the cat with our son. Solved.

Does anyone have any answers for my for my initial (more important) inquiry?
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno. Check at the Japanese embassy. I assume it should be done before.
Maitoshi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
I dunno. Check at the Japanese embassy. I assume it should be done before.

Solid advice. Even if others have personally done this before, their information is likely to be sufficiently outdated or their circumstances sufficiently different from yours to make a call to the embassy very much worthwhile. If for nothing else, it should ease your concerns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: