Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(Non native) Newbie wants to teach abroad ! Advice needed !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasonlmk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: (Non native) Newbie wants to teach abroad ! Advice needed ! Reply with quote

Hello everyone who might read this, I'm a 24yrs old, male, who is currently working as a graphic designer for a very famous brand in my country.

However, I've grown extremely unsatisfied with my current job and want to take a 180 degree turn and completely change path; And teach English (others) abroad.

While I am really motivated to start this new adventure, and I'm also aware that it might be difficult and full of obstacles such as (being a Non native closing lots to doors) but that's what I've set my mind to and i will do it !

My current qualifications are

- the Cambridge School Certificate,

- the Cambridge Higher School Certificate ,

- a Degree of bachelor of Science in Design and Color Applications for Industry,

- the IC3 Certification (Internet Core Competency certification) and

- the French Alliance Diploma with mention ' 'Well ''

- Currently doing an TEFL Online Course (While still working to save some money)

-Will apply for a Celta in November

-Will do an IELTS test in October

Also while I may not be considered as an English native speaker, because i live in Mauritius, we Mauritian are multilingual people ! We are considered both an English-speaking and French-speaking nation. (We speak English, French, Mauritian Creole, French-based Creole.)

Our government uses English as its main language; as Mauritius was once under the British rule.

Moreover, i would like to push in my resume that I'm fluent at speaking french and writing too if needed and also i have skills in Art and Craft works being an Art & Design Student at A Level Cambridge and University level + Working as a Graphic designer for 2 years now in Textile Industry.

I would like to have your advice, guidance, and experience on what would i need to do to successfully achieve my goals at teaching English abroad.

Also from the non native whom have succeeded in teaching abroad how have you managed to land a job etc.

My favorites countries are China, Japan and S.Korea.

Thanks.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Korea is a no-go. Wrong passport.

China and Japan are possible.

Get a recognized (in Asia) language proficiency test done (TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS). This is often a visa requirement for people from countries not on the top 6-7 Anglophone country list.

It will also open up SE Asia to you.

Additionally, you WILL need a current police check (less than 6 months old).
    You will also need both your original AND an authenticated true copy of your degree made.
    You will also NEED university sealed transcripts of your academic record (also a visa requirement).

Mikalina

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have the one thing that is needed in the TEFL world and that's determination. Can't help you practically, sorry. I just woke up one day and realised I owned something I could sell.

Good luck, anyway. My great grandmother came from Mauritius.
jasonlmk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@suphanburi That's sad as i really wanted to teach there (S.Korea) but i am relieved that China and Japan can be possible despite being non native. Do you by any chance know what score do they require ?

@Mikalina Thanks alot !
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered Thailand and Cambodia?

China won't accept you for legal work either (visa regulations). Obviously, there are teachers working illegally everywhere in China but I certainly wouldn't recommend that.

Japan is a highly competitive market these days so I think you'd really be facing stiff competition. Check the Japan forum for current advice from those currently in the job market.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonlmk wrote:
@suphanburi That's sad as i really wanted to teach there (S.Korea) but i am relieved that China and Japan can be possible despite being non native. Do you by any chance know what score do they require ?

@Mikalina Thanks alot !

It varies from country to country.
In most cases the visa requirement is a 5.5 or 6.0 IELTS (or equivalent).

jasonlmk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@suphanburi Okay noted ! Thank you very much for the replies !

@santi84 While China, Japan and S.Korea are my first choices, i understand that it might be very difficult to land a job there at first and i also keep in mind that Thailand can be an option too ! However I've read that theres too they request native English speaker.
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

China is becoming more and more difficult to work at for people working under the table. We just had a non native unable to come back because he couldn't procure any kind of visa to get back in. It's really kind of stupid because China is desperate for teachers, but the powers that be seem to be stuck with some kind of idiotic standard which just damages the ESL teaching in their country. Reminds me of Saudi Arabia.
jasonlmk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@voyagerksa that's so true ! I've done some research and noted that the chances for me to land a job in the UAE, are close to 0%, that's why i prefer to move to Asia.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonlmk wrote:
Moreover, i would like to push in my resume that I'm fluent at speaking french and writing too if needed and also i have skills in Art and Craft works being an Art & Design Student at A Level Cambridge and University level + Working as a Graphic designer for 2 years now in Textile Industry.

Why not look into teaching art at a French international school in China or Vietnam (where few still speak the language)?
jasonlmk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@nomad soul Honestly i haven't really thought about that path (primarily), it's true that i have knowledge in Art & Design as well as French language and certificates at A level cambridge; but that's all...i consider it more as a backup skill that i can push forward in my resume rather than teaching it. Thank your reply; I really appreciate.
taikibansei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:

China and Japan are possible.

Sadly, for Japan, the OP's nationality and qualifications would limit him/her to bottom-feeder (190,000-220,000 yen/month) ALT/language school positions, and that with only the absolute worst (with regards to benefits/conditions) employers. Specifically, I am talking about employers like Heart and Gaba--places that have been sued repeatedly (and successfully) for their exploitative, often illegal working conditions. They might be willing to hire the OP...though why the OP would want to travel all the way to Japan to work such long hours for such low pay is beyond me. (OP, after paying rent and utilities--not to mention the monthly tax deductions--you would be left with about 30,000 yen each month to buy food and drink. That's about 1000 yen/$10 US per day to live on...in one of the most expensive countries in the world.)

Unfortunately, given the OP's nationality and qualifications, no other legal employment would be available in Japan. These kinds of challenges are I'm sure part of the reason why there are currently only 59 people from Mauritius living in Japan. (The Japanese Govt. keeps this data.)

suphanburi wrote:

Get a recognized (in Asia) language proficiency test done (TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS).

The only one of those three widely recognized by Japanese employers is the TOEIC...and I do not believe it is offered in Mauritius.

suphanburi wrote:

Additionally, you WILL need a current police check (less than 6 months old).
You will also need both your original AND an authenticated true copy of your degree made.
You will also NEED university sealed transcripts of your academic record (also a visa requirement).

None of these are necessary for working in Japan.
jasonlmk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@taikibansei Thanks for the comment !

[quote="taikibansei"]
...though why the OP would want to travel all the way to Japan to work such long hours for such low pay is beyond me.

I'm not focusing only on Japan to work, but also several countries such as Thailand,China or S.Korea. Here in Mauritius, the salary as compared to abroad is so low that i want to seek for better. Example: 65,000 Yen is considered a good salary here, while 220,000 is considered low in Japan.Life is becoming very expensive in my country and i want to have a better life rather than staying still.

[quote="taikibansei"]
Unfortunately, given the OP's nationality and qualifications, no other legal employment would be available in Japan. These kinds of challenges are I'm sure part of the reason why there are currently only 59 people from Mauritius living in Japan. (The Japanese Govt. keeps this data.)

Thanks for pointing that out, I'm always willing to hear from others advice and experience.That's what this post is for.

[quote="taikibansei"]
The only one of those three widely recognized by Japanese employers is the TOEIC...and I do not believe it is offered in Mauritius.

I did not know that, and no; that not offered in Mauritius. Thank you for telling me that.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonlmk:

Others have pointed out the barriers you'll have in trying to land legal employment as an EFL teacher in your desired countries. You may be able to meet an employer's requirement, but you can't get by a country's government requirements for (native) English teachers. This is why I suggested you consider teaching in your native language, French, in which your passport may not be an issue for your target countries.
jasonlmk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@nomad soul thanks for the advice, unfortunately I'm not a French native too, although we Mauritian People have proficiency in both French and English language, we do not really have an official language thus it wont appear on passport etc.. but nevertheless I'll keep looking for all options available or might as well continue studying to acquire multiple qualifications and certificates to help me in reaching my goals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: