Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University of Vienna (Austria)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xeunis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: University of Vienna (Austria) Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any information about the University of Vienna. I recently saw a job post for English instructors.

The required qualification and experience for the job seem minimal:
University/College degree
ESL teaching certificate
Minimum one year teaching experience

The position is for 25 teaching hrs/wk with a class of 23 students.

The salary offered is 3800 Euro/month after tax with accommodation assistance. Would that be standard for the cost of living in Vienna? I know it's an expensive city.

Also, any information about teaching at the University would be great. Thank you in advance! Very Happy
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The salary offered in comparison to required quals is very suspicious. Another red flag would be if they don't specify EU member state citizenship required. I suspect this is a scam.
I have some connections in the Austrian university system who always forward me legit openings. This didn't come my way and definitely seems outside the usual norms (salary/requirements). I suggest you follow thru (it would be a great offer if true) but do NOT send them any money for anything!
xeunis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice spiral78! I really appreciate it! I will proceed with caution. Very Happy

I found the job on profsabroad.com btw. I'm not sure if that means anything in regards to validity. ???
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, sorry, it doesn't necessarily reflect positively.

Are you an EU member citizen? That's the biggest red flag of all; an existing legal right to work in Austria is a minimum basic qualification for an actual job. If they are inviting you through some sort of visa procurement scheme, it's definitely bogus.

I'd send you a pm if I could but you have to have 6 posts before pms will work. The salary you quote is higher than that offered for a university job in a different Austrian city, but which (as is typical) required existing legal working status in Austria, German language proficiency, related Master's degree, and three years of experience.

Again, if this offer is genuine, it's very unusually good.
xeunis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
No, sorry, it doesn't necessarily reflect positively.

Are you an EU member citizen? That's the biggest red flag of all; an existing legal right to work in Austria is a minimum basic qualification for an actual job. If they are inviting you through some sort of visa procurement scheme, it's definitely bogus.

I'd send you a pm if I could but you have to have 6 posts before pms will work. The salary you quote is higher than that offered for a university job in a different Austrian city, but which (as is typical) required existing legal working status in Austria, German language proficiency, related Master's degree, and three years of experience.

Again, if this offer is genuine, it's very unusually good.

Thanks spiral78. No, I'm not an EU member citizen.

I haven't actually applied for the position yet. I didn't feel comfortable sending my information without checking its validity. I checked out the university website and the email address they provided is different than those provided on the university website.

Thank you for the info. I'm thinking it may be best for me to look for other opportunities.
danshengou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xeunis wrote:
No, I'm not an EU member citizen.

That is the main issue. Though France does offer a visa for the lecteur d'anglais (English teacher) positions. And you'd have ample time for travel. Think of it as a year-long AIESEC, with a small stipend.
danshengou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched on the university website and found no job listing for English instructors. That coupled with the salary and work conditions suggests it is bogus.
xeunis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danshengou wrote:
I searched on the university website and found no job listing for English instructors. That coupled with the salary and work conditions suggests it is bogus.

Thank you danshengou! It must be! I need to start doing that before I consider a position!
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offer is not necessarily bogus, though does sound generous.

I replied to an offer from a Swiss polytechnique advertised on www.eslemployment.com. I couldn't upload my own CV so I also sent an application to the university's HR dept directly which I found on their website.

The applicant might also wish to do this on the Vienna University website to double check.

The Swiss offer was similar - 3600E with only 2 years' minimum experience for a univ. prep. lang programme. This was 3600E NET. Unofrtunately, the cheapest one-bedroomed flat locally was about 1200E so there are downfalls.
However, compared with risking Saudi Arabia for less than 3600E and free accommodation, most people would opt for Switzerland (or Austria).
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post/ time delay.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the website referred to - profsabroad.com - asks for a 3-month or 1-year subscription. $19 for three months.

Never heard of it before.

I find it slightly strange that the poster writes "I found the job on profsabroad.com btw. I'm not sure if that means anything in regards to validity. ???" yet did not mention this was a subscription website.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally, note the official website warning (Vienna University)

https://sprachenzentrum.univie.ac.at/en/ueber-uns/jobs/

"ATTENTION: Currently, some ESL-sites contain scam-adverts for ESL-jobs at the University of Vienna. Please note that the Language Center currently has no vacancies for English teachers - and does not use any such sites!!"

A very strong note of caution to be applied.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: