Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How good is your CV?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon44

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Plus, some activities may not translate well and come across as culturally inappropriate in other countries.

So you think it's a good idea to leave my home-brewing hobby off my CV for that Saudi employer? Smile

Edit:

Quote:

Some recruiters like a photo so they can do a quick racial classification check !

I would politely suggest that 'Some' is actually 'Many'.

As for putting your age/DoB on the CV, as an older guy, I leave it off, (since I know from experience that my CV will hit the round filing cabinet in many schools). But I do provide 2 photos of me (one is formal and one is casual -running a half-marathon), both which show me in a particularly youthful light.
rony albert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think due to increased competition in market now we need to develop our CV from CV experts.
RemediesRx

Last edited by rony albert on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rony albert wrote:
I think due to increased competition in market now we need to develop our CV from CV experts.

You can have a well-written and organized CV; however, the ability to snag interviews for the better jobs ultimately rests on the quality of your qualifications and experience.
Elicit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and if you tailor your CV for each employer the paid writing service could end up costing a fortune.
Elicit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While here on the CV subject, I have what probably is a stupid question.

What's the difference between a presentation and a conference paper?

Are they one and the same? Does a presentation become a conference paper if included in the publication of proceedings, or does it then become a publication?

Have my first conference presentation / paper coming up soon.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elicit wrote:
What's the difference between a presentation and a conference paper?

Are they one and the same? Does a presentation become a conference paper if included in the publication of proceedings, or does it then become a publication?

Take a look at:
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Write the perfect CV and get the perfect job ?
I don't think that is how it works !
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Write the perfect CV and get the perfect job ?
I don't think that is how it works !

Plus, as English teachers, we should be able to draft our own CVs, especially if we teach essay writing or business communications. Confused
Elicit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nomad.

I actually read that last week in order to help the writing process. My potentially stupid question was rather poorly worded and in fact I meant to ask...

If one presents at IATEFL or TESOL Arabia for example should this be listed as a conference paper or presentation on a CV. Are the two interchangeable, and if so, which is it best to use?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for something like this:

https://gsehd.gwu.edu/content/how-conferences-are-displayed-your-resume-or-cv

You could separate them into a 'Papers' section and 'Presentations and Proceedings' section if you prefer.
Elicit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
I would go for something like this:

https://gsehd.gwu.edu/content/how-conferences-are-displayed-your-resume-or-cv

You could separate them into a 'Papers' section and 'Presentations and Proceedings' section if you prefer.

Thanks for the advice. Will use the three headings together to save repetition. Could be a few years before I have enough under the belt to use them separately.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Podkayne wrote:
Be mindful of the email or Skype IDs you use for professional purposes. Potential employers do not want to contact you at iluv2getwasted at domain dot com.

Additionally, at the top of your CV, keep your contact info basic with just your Skype ID and email address (both designated for work purposes) and phone number. No need to indicate your mailing address in your home country on your CV -- use discretion.

BTW, I once saw a CV in which the job seeker indicated her nationality next to her name in bold as, Jane Doe (USA), instead of in the body of the document. She swore it helped her CV get immediate attention. It's certainly an option for a native-English speaker with a very non-western name.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually recommend putting name, nationality/nationalities, and contact information immediately in the heading.

Putting nationality somewhere down in the body of the CV is definitely a negative, as nationality may be the key determinate of whether you can or can't teach legally in a country.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Putting nationality somewhere down in the body of the CV is definitely a negative, as nationality may be the key determinate of whether you can or can't teach legally in a country.

I agree. Definitely not "somewhere down" in the body of the CV, but immediately below the job seeker's name -- below the heading. Per my comments (previous page), nationality and language fluency should be stated as the first line of info in the body.

In my case, I also put "my state, USA" in my heading but to show my residence since that's where I was based in between teaching jobs. Additionally, the Mid East employers I worked for always required applicants to include a scanned image of the passport photo page to confirm nationality.

Nationality should be prominently stated; employers shouldn't have to search the CV or guess where the applicant is from.
wildgrace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
For the more technically inclined:

Whether you're seeking a new position, a career transition, or advancement, seriously consider creating an online portfolio, especially if you have a collection of teaching materials, videos, lessons, etc., you've created during your teaching career. You could include the weblink to your ePortfolio on your cover letter and/or CV to direct potential employers to samples of your work. It will help you stand out above other job applicants.

For ideas and samples, Google efl esl teacher portfolio for a bunch of links to portfolios. (Some are quite well done.)

Here is my eportfolio, to give you an idea: http://dkfan.weebly.com/esl.html (I am sure it can be improved, and I have been offered jobs in China once they saw the eportfolio)

Weebly is free and pretty simple to use for an eportfolio. Can be a bit slow when adding/updating info
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: