Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for other online teachers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wralst

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Question for other online teachers Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been working for several online teaching/tutoring ESL orgs. Recently I had to cancel a class due to technical problems; we had a severe storm that interfered with internet and later the electricity. I informed the company that we were likely to have such an interruption in advance of a scheduled one on one class with a repeat student. They did not respond however I noticed that it was not possible to enter the classroom later (but during the scheduled class) which generally indicates that a substitute was found.

A class was scheduled for the following day with the same org but a different student. I was there at hand for the class, entered the classroom and began the class but the student did not show.

I Skyped admin and was informed that the student would not show because I had stated that we had a storm. I told them that we did not NOW have a storm, that it had been the prior day. Their only response was that the class had been charged off to me as absent and that the parent had declined to accept a substitute so I would be penalized. Later looking at my schedule on their site I saw that I was being debited for this absence. Note that the so called absence was for the class that I was in attendance for and sat in for the full session without being informed that the class has been cancelled NOT that session of the storm.

So while I can understand not being paid for a class that I did not teach due to the storm. I fins it highly unusual and, from my perspective, not acceptable to sit for a session and be the one penalized for it. Now this company does not respond to emails or Skype messages at all and my normal returning students that always sign up for additional classes are not appearing on my schedule despite there being open times posted in the slots that they usually take.

Anyone have a similar story, comments or suggestions?

Note that I did not name this organization for you moderators.

Thank you
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only worked online with one complany (Open English) for over 6 years now and have never had an issue with getting paid. In fact, if there are technical issues on their end you are paid anyway. If there is system maintenence you are paid anyway, if you have a private class and the student doesn´t show, you are paid anyway. The only time you are not paid is if you miss a class. However, OE has a system in place where you can drop classes you can´t teach, as close as one hour before the class. You can pick up extra classes that others have dropped as well. I have heard from a number of people that that kind of thing happens a lot in China. Maybe it´s time to make a change.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: