Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ontesol 250 hr

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildgrace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Ontesol 250 hr Reply with quote

I took the Ontesol 250 hour program, and I also did the 20 hour practicum. Here are my thoughts on the training.

Pluses
The information feels comprehensive. As someone who has taken courses in curriculum development and lesson planning, the information was covered with a decent amount of detail.

I like the online format, because I can work on the course when it fits into my schedule. I worked ahead all the time, since I worked on the course when I had time.

Tutor was clearly knowledgeable about the ESL subject matter. I kept her very busy during the methodology module. I submitted one assignment pretty much every day (Monday-Friday for 6-7 weeks). She returned all assignments within 1-2 business days.

The price was fair.

Areas of Improvement
Wish they had a grading rubric for each assignment. I could not tell where I was losing points, because I do not know the grading system for individual assignments.

Could be clearer on how the individual assignments and exams apply to the final grade.

Feels methodology heavy. Perhaps cut down on tasks and add some to the other two topics, especially Grammar. Native speakers like myself, probably struggle with grammar because we don’t think about it. More practice with grammar would make us more knowledgeable. I bought several books on grammar to get more knowledgeable, and strangely enough it was the book on sentence diagramming that I found the most useful.

I lost marks for one assignment because I did not follow the PPP format for a writing lesson plan. It would be great if an example of a PPP writing lesson plan was provided – simple fix too, just add it as a resource to the chapter on the eLearning platform.

Add a section on PBLA (Canada and other ESL providers are moving towards a more task based methodology and it would have been helpful to review this).

A couple of times I asked for an answer key after I completed an assignment, as I wanted to see what a "perfect" assignment looked like. I did not get these, although to be fair the tutor did mark the assignment and provide feedback.

Bottom Line
Online format is convenient. Was able to do a practicum. Do not expect any extras, they will mark your assignments within a business day or too. Was happy with the format and the price.

I know Ontesol does not have the name recognition of the CELTA, when applying for jobs I point out that I did a 250 hour program (while the CELTA is only 120 hours).
Marinx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard their certificates don't say "online" anywhere on them, and that they are issued from Toronto, Ontario. Can you say more about what the actual certificate looks like?

As an aside for other Canadians (or any nationality maybe?) thinking about OnTesol*:

The international standards of TEFL / TESOL / TESL methodology were set by TESL Canada, Trinity College London, and the University of Cambridge.

Ontesol is recognized by TESL Canada and is administered by Coventry House International.

Ontesol offers a 100 hour TESL/TEFL program with 20 hour practicum.

The full 120 hour course meets the same standards of CELTA.

Once the practicum portion is complete, Ontesol graduates are eligible to receive TESL Canada Professional Standard 1 Certification.

*Info gathered from several places and I don't have the links to give credit.

If you are still lurking these forums, please advise if you have been able to secure a job and/or any feedback you may have received from potential employers re: the OnTesol certificate.
wildgrace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The certs do not say online, however an internet search of OnTesol will quickly reveal the courses are done online. I am in China and no one cares where I got the tesol, they just care that I have one.

The reason I chose Ontesol is I am Canadian and being able to have a Canadian standard when I returned home would be helpful. After research though I think Ontario Tesol accreditation is better because they allow you to teach LINC courses (here is a comparison chart at http://cclcs.ca/tesl-training/course-facts/ although OnTesol does have a 250 hour course and a 20 hour practicum, not sure how that would compare). The Canada TESL Ontesol is not recognized by Ontario Tesol, you have to apply for PILAR (prior learning assessment) and Ontario Tesol can decide not to recognize your education and experience as enough to qualify. I might try PILAR and Ontario Tesol next time I am home, still deciding that one.

I am currently working in China, I do not know how my education plays in Canada, so have no thoughts to share there.
Marinx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know there was another TESL for Ontario or that any of these could be used to teach in Canada.

Have you been in China long? How has it been for you? Once I complete the 120 hour Ontesol that's where I would like to go.
Marinx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, skip it! I see your other thread below this one now Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: