Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on Online TEFL course
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
valentina.forno

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
I suggest you post on the forums of those countries you're interested in for specifics.

BTW, to get quotes to work properly, go to your profile and make sure BBCode is on/enabled under both 'Profile info' and 'Preferences'

Thank you!!! Very Happy
GHL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valentina.forno wrote:
I looked at the ads on this website, International Job Board. There are ads from everywhere and no one asks for a CELTA specifically. This seems weird if, infact, a CELTA is better than anything else.

Basically, it's a somewhat useful qualification to find work in Europe. Although I don't know why anyone would do entry level work in Europe, since the money on offer is absolutely dire. As in 'you'll struggle to break even while living in non-shared accomodation' kind of dire. All newbies would be much better off in Asia.

It can also be useful to gain entry level work in the Gulf states, since online certificates aren't accepted there. But the salaries on offer in the Gulf aren't enough to compensate for the hardship of living there. Well, the UAE might be alright, but the rest of them are definetely to be avoided.

There's a few niche uses in Asia but as a percentage of jobs it's a very small market. For example, the British Council requires a CELTA, and they are a very well paying language school in comparison to their competitors. The HK NET scheme requires a CELTA/Trinity TESOL. Some universities in Korea require one. But as I've said, not many places require one, and a good amount of employers won't even know what a CELTA is.
valentina.forno

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GHL what you're saying is exactly what I figured: costs of living are too high in Europe (I'm Italian and know that very well) and I'm definitely not interested in Gulf States. I am looking into Asia and South America, but I'm also very interested in online teaching as that would give me the freedom to be location independent. It's just that I don't know how much I could actually make online, it varies greatly.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valentina.forno wrote:
But I'm also very interested in online teaching as that would give me the freedom to be location independent. It's just that I don't know how much I could actually make online, it varies greatly.

See:
How many teach online, have, or plan to (even partly)
Most complete on-line school list in universe
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In China at least, the CELTA is not really an advantage for 99.99% of positions. Degree + 2 years exp. + 120hr TEFL (for visa purposes) seems to be the standard for most provinces here. As another poster mentioned most employers wouldn't even know what it was! I wouldn't waste money on it if you plan to come to Asia to teach (particularly if it's teaching young learners and/or online work that you wish to pursue). In saying that having some practical teaching experience would be an advantage prior to being thrown into a classroom here!
I used i-to-i and found their course to be straightforward and fairly interesting.
GHL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I would say - if you happen to live in the UK, you can get the CELTA for free through the UK government 'Advanced Learner Loan' scheme. Basically the government pays the course fees. Yeah technically you have to pay it back, but if you're going abroad they have no way of collecting so you end up getting it for free.

So in the case of the UK I'd say it's worth getting. Anywhere else, no - especially if you only want to work in Asia.
Piscador

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as a CELTA holder and an EFL teacher in Vietnam, here's my two cents worth:

* The CELTA doesn't equate to the ability of the holder to teach effectively. This comes from experience. And aptitude.
* Most locally owned language schools don't distinguish between the CELTA (or similar) and online certs.
* The better (and better-paying) schools such as BC and IH generally prefer CELTAs or similar.

In my case, the CELTA plus five years of teaching experience got me into the higher echelon of language schools, so it definitely paid off. But YMMV.
sammysez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Middle East I know that they will not accept online degrees and/or courses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: