Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where were/are your most engaged and motivated students?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zegpoddle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Where were/are your most engaged and motivated students? Reply with quote

For those of you who have taught university students or adults in more than one country, and fully recognizing that assessments of "national character" are necessarily oversimplifications...

...in which Asian country (or countries) did you find your students to be the most interested and motivated to learn English? I would use the word "enthusiastic" if it didn't sound embarrassingly naive.

I'm not asking anyone to engage in nationality-bashing. I'm just curious to hear your opinion as to where, in your experience, you encountered the groups of students to whom you most enjoyed teaching EFL, and why. What about them made the job rewarding or pleasant (even if only relatively)?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tajikistan.....Great and motivated students...salary is fantastic too! Very Happy
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I wouldn't exactly call them "engaged and motivated", I most enjoyed teaching at several universities in Bangkok, Thailand. Most aren't very punctual or studious, but they can put on a good show doing role plays and presentations. We often had a lot of fun with classroom and off-campus English for Tour Guides activities.

The other countries I've taught are Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vietnam.
jim_brava

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malaysia.

Most of the students in the 16-18 bracket seemed to be involved with some kind of startup business and/or online marketing-based activity.

They all seemed to be very well-versed in the globalized modern world - especially with regards to tech and social media - and were largely free the enforced conformity of the communist countries or the somewhat enforced regressive superstition of, say, Thailand.

Edit: Just saw that the thread was about learning English specifically. To be honest, the answer may still be Malaysia. However, only if learning English won't distract them from becoming a tech whizzkid millionaire by the age of 25.
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All countries have many students in private schools that are extremely motivated. In my mind the question is which countries have better schools. China and Thailand separate the classes, Dullard, Dysfunctional, Somewhere in between, and Good student classes. If you have a son or daughter that is a dullard you can pay more to have them in the Good student class, etc. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: