Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advantages to being a state certified ESL teacher?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wannabepolyglot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Advantages to being a state certified ESL teacher? Reply with quote

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. I am currently starting my third year of undergrad in college. I'm on track to graduate with a BS in Education-TESOL in Spring 2019. I will be a certified K-12 ESL teacher in the state of Ohio, however, I think I may want to try teaching abroad for a year after graduating. I taught English for a week in Ecuador this past May as a part of a study abroad offered by my college, and genuinely loved it. I've noticed that for many international English teaching jobs/programs only a Bachelor's and certification are required. I just wanted to ask if there are any possibilities opened up to me as a state-certified ESL teacher/education major that wouldn't be open to someone with a non-education related degree. Like, are there countries/programs for teaching English abroad that only accept education majors? Will it really be an advantage at the international level at all? Question
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Advantages to being a state certified ESL teacher? Reply with quote

I assume your BS emphasis is in TESOL (i.e., you're completing ESOL coursework within your undergrad program). If that's the case, you like won't have any issues finding work once you become ESL licensed. Of course, it depends on the country. As you begin your final semester in 2019, start looking at actual job ads in the countries you're interested in to see what's required. Be aware that the better western-curriculum international schools want to see a couple of years of post-licensure US experience relevant to your degree major.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Advantages to being a state certified ESL teacher? Reply with quote

wannabepolyglot wrote:

. . . I just wanted to ask if there are any possibilities opened up to me as a state-certified ESL teacher/education major that wouldn't be open to someone with a non-education related degree. Like, are there countries/programs for teaching English abroad that only accept education majors? Will it really be an advantage at the international level at all? Question

Yes, yes, and yes! There is little comparison between the positions open to a certified teacher, and those available to someone with a degree and a TEFL certificate. Especially for someone who wants to work in K-12 positions. And over the course of a career, the salary difference can fill a room with gold coins. (Well, maybe a box. But a large one!) Smile

Welcome to the forum, wannabepolyglot!

OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of time, the state certification courses amount to about another semester of work (depending upon the area(s) of certification and the parameters of the TESOL program). If you intend to become a career teacher, you might want to consider taking the additional step to study for an MA. In the U.S. this will open up possibilities for teaching on the junior college and university level which is sometimes more desirable than working primary and secondary school. (I don't think I could teach secondary school in the U.S. again--- or anywhere else for that matter. I can do without the rampant behavioral issues found in so many U.S. school systems). It'll also give you a leg up should you teach abroad.

An MA will also give you a higher starting wage if you decide to teach primary and/or secondary school in the U.S..

If you are young and footloose, thing big. Accumulate as many degrees awards, and accolades as possible. They will always put you at the front of the pack. Good luck and good living to you.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you intend to become a career teacher, you might want to consider taking the additional step to study for an MA. In the U.S. this will open up possibilities for teaching on the junior college and university level which is sometimes more desirable than working primary and secondary school.

Unfortunately, US TESOL jobs at the tertiary level tend to be adjunct positions. See Student slump. The OP has better options at the k12 level.
sammysez

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most ESOL/ESL jobs at the collegiate level are part-time, no benefits, no holiday pay, no sick time, etc.. and very low pay, $12 to $14 an hour in many cases.

If I had known this before I majored in ESL, I would have gotten a degree in something else.

Your best option if teaching in the U.S. is public schools if you're going to stay in the U.S. because it's a full-time job and it offers benefits including retirement.

If going overseas, it's no longer the payday that it used to be, especially in the Middle East.

If you love travel and want to spend your whole life in another country, then ESL is the life for you. But I would strongly consider the changes in ESL from the megabucks in the 70s and 80s and 90s. I told other employees in different fields besides ESL, what we were making as ESL teachers and their response was "you could have stayed in the U.S. and worked at Walmart for that salary." They were making 6 figures plus housing and allowances to travel home etc...

Something to consider, not trying to be DebbieDowner.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to disagree.
A certified teacher with a major in ESL/EFL to and has a couple years of experience at home pretty much still has the golden goose when it comes to earning.
Look at places that recruit professional teachers like search associates.

Certified teachers who are hired from abroad and who work in international schools will make bucket loads more cash then their BA+TEFL cert counterparts.

eg: Thailand - TEFL teacher - 40k. Imported certified teacher 100-130k PLUS airfare, medical, housing, etc.

The same is true in HK, Korea, Taiwan, ete. with similar differences in the remuneration packages.

While the package isn't what you might have once made in the middle east 1.2 million baht plus benefits goes a LOOOONG way in Thailand and you don't have the sh1t that you have to deal with in the Middle East.

sammysez

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idk how you're disagreeing???

I'm agreeing overseas is the way to go IF you want to go overseas, which most TEFLers do.

So we're in agreement.

But, here in the USA most adult education has gone part-time, no benefits, no retirement etc... a no go for me.
wannabepolyglot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, this is kinda late but I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone for replying and helping!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: