Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Earthquake, Hurricane, Tsunami

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Earthquake, Hurricane, Tsunami Reply with quote

This is wild. Is everyone ok so far?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/851604/Hurricane-katia-path-latest-tropical-storm-mexico-track-irma-jose

An 8.2 earthquake last night, the biggest since 1985, but there seems to be much less loss of life and devastation than in 85.

Then Katia due to strike the east coast north of Veracruz tonight--a category 2 hurricane, but still increasing in power, one of three hurricanes currently threatening the Carribean.

http://www.businessinsider.com/hurricane-katia-path-forecasts-updates-2017-9

"Katia, located in the Gulf of Mexico, continued to strengthen about 125 miles out from Veracruz, Mexico. A hurricane warning was in effect from Cabo Rojo to Laguna Verde in Mexico." Newsweek, 11:48 am Friday

And tsunamis striking along the Pacific coast of Mexico and Guatemala . . . Please everyone in these areas-- be cautious and stay safe, one and all.

MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good with me but waiting to hear from colleagues at the Universidad del Istmo which is right in the hardest hit area.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
All good with me but waiting to hear from colleagues at the Universidad del Istmo which is right in the hardest hit area.

I had forgotten about the earthquake that hit Oaxaca so hard about 20 years ago. (I just checked the date--1999.) That was surely long before your time, MotherF, but you must have friends and neighbors who remember it. I hope everyone from the Universidad del Istmo turns up safe and sound. I'm really glad to hear that you and your family are unharmed.

BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about you this morning, MotherF, glad to see you are OK. We have been having some flooding and power outages where I live, due things that are going on other places. I almost hesitate to mention it in light of everything that is going on in other places. Family in Mexico City is OK, but my brother in law who was working at the Hospital Juarez in the earthquake in 1984 and lost many friends and co-workers had a panic attack, thought he was having a heart attack and had to be taken to the hospital. And a friend´s house was damaged, though not severely. Minor, again, in light of everything else.
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
MotherF wrote:

I had forgotten about the earthquake that hit Oaxaca so hard about 20 years ago. (I just checked the date--1999.) That was surely long before your time, MotherF, but you must have friends and neighbors who remember it. I hope everyone from the Universidad del Istmo turns up safe and sound. I'm really glad to hear that you and your family are unharmed.

Actually, no, I remember that one well. I happened to be in Oaxaca City with a friend who was visiting we were on a bus, heading to Mitla. at first it felt like someone had jumped on the bus, but then it got stronger and the street signs were swinging wildly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: