Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University jobs with a PhD in Applied Linguistics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sifu_sensei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: University jobs with a PhD in Applied Linguistics Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I am looking to move to back to Thailand for personal reasons and am particularly interested in a university job. I would welcome advice from anyone who has some experience of the university sector, either as an English teacher or as a lecturer in TESOL, Applied Linguistics or similar.

I have a BA in Linguistics, an MEd in ELT and Educational Technology, and a PhD in Applied Linguistics. I also have the CELTA, the Trinity TESOL Diploma and over 20 years' experience as an English teacher and academic manager. I am currently working at a decent Australian university as a lecturer in TESOL and language education.

I taught in Thailand at the beginning of my career and now, in my late forties, would like to head back to Bangkok. I have written to several universities and have only received a reply from one of them and they were not hiring. If anyone knows what the opportunities and conditions might be like for someone with my background, I'd be most grateful for any information or insights you can provide.

Thanks in advance for your help!
sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your timing is not very good. As you probably already know from your research, the royal cremation ceremonies for the late king will take place from Oct 25 – 29 following a year of official mourning. That’s only about 5 weeks away. Although there is supposedly only one official holiday, institutes nationwide will be primarily focused on that between now and then. Following this major event will be another period of uncertainty. The various sides are already making preliminary moves, most notably Yingluck’s disappearance. Avoiding living and working in Bangkok would be prudent.

Anyway, you should be looking at upcountry universities and Bangkok-based unis that have external campuses that have international MA programs. It might also be worth looking into the British Council (?).
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may not be many opportunities for permanent or even full time positions but places to look would be the MA TEFL program at Chula, the MA TEFL program at Thammasat or Burupa. All 3 of them employ "visiting professors" in their graduate programs on a course by course basis. Your problem is timing. You are running late (the 1st semester started in Aug) and the academic year (courses and staffing) for most uni positions other than basic EFL teacher have already been set.

If you land one of these they pay well. I get b1500/hour teaching TEFL content related courses in an international program of a university's graduate school (part time).

If you just want a full time "English teacher" position at a uni then just land here and start applying. There are lots of openings at the start of each semester and English teachers are in short supply (largely due to the general poor working wages (25k/month for an EFL teacher) and poor working conditions (12-18 class periods per week plus office hours)).

sifu_sensei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply. I am not in a rush to move to Thailand, as I have a good job here in Australia, but I am looking to move within the next year. At this stage, I am interested in getting a feel for the range of opportunities that may be out there, apart from the standard English teaching jobs. I will definitely contact the institutions that have MA TEFL programs, as you both suggest.

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: