Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Question About TEFL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheCGoers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Newbie Question About TEFL Reply with quote

Hiya everyone,
I am a 21yearold male from The United States that just graduated from University and I have moved to Ireland for a 1-year working holiday visa.
While I am here in Ireland I have been helping Spanish expats with their English while they help me with Spanish. I will be volunteering 1hr a week at a local family center as well.
My hope is to either teach English in SA or East Asia after my time here...but I am not quite sure on which route I will take. (I would love to do Spain...but I know that it's unrealistic as a NON-EU).
So, my question is regarding if I should take an online TEFL course for any reason at all. Would it actually be worth my time or a waste of money?
I know of course that the online ones are not nearly as good as an in class...but I don't quite have the funding for a 1000euro course at the moment.

Any advice is extremely appreciated!
bograt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice would be to focus in on the places where you want to work and check out the job opportunities and what qualifications they require. It's still possible to get a TEFL job in East Asia without any quals but they will be bottom of the barrel opportunities. An online TEFL will increase your marketability slightly. A CELTA will increase it a lot more as most people in your position aren't willing to pay or don't have the funds.

There's also the question of competence as a teacher. Do you really want to face a class with no training at all? Volunteering is a different prospect to paid employment. A lot of employers in East Asia believe it's possible to teach English well without any training because they don't know anything about teaching, but if the students (or students' parents) think you aren't up to the job it'll be you who gets the blame.
TheCGoers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bograt,

Thank you for that advice. I've been thinking the same thing and I know of course it's that you get what you pay for.
Would you recommend any other in-class TEFL courses as opposed to the CELTA?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCGoers wrote:

There are so many TEFL courses out there; it would be difficult to recommend one that fits your budget and meets the requirements of your target countries and prospective employers.

Choose a course that's at least 120 hours and includes at least six hours of supervised and assessed teaching practice with a group of real language learners.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCGoers wrote:
Bograt,

Thank you for that advice. I've been thinking the same thing and I know of course it's that you get what you pay for.

Pick a country and see what THAT COUNTRY requires then make your choice based on what you need for the visa in the country of your choice.
While there are lots of generic TEFL certs available you will never have a problem with either the CELTA or Trinity cert TESOL being accepted.

eg:
Korea - no TEFL for hagwons but 120 hour TEFL with 20 hours F-F for public schools. Degree required.
Vietnam - 120 hour TEFL required. On-line is OK. Degree required.
China - TEFL required. Degree required for legal work on a "Z" visa.
Thailand - TEFL NOT required. Degree required.
Cambodia - TEFL not required. Degree not required. Buy a business visa.

TheCGoers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suphanburi,

Thankyou, I will try and decide on what countries I'd like to do most and go from there.
I guess I would be looking for an in-class TEFL 120+ with 20+ F2F that is under 500euros here in Galway.

Thanks for the advice guys!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCGoers wrote:
I will try and decide on what countries I'd like to do most and go from there.
I guess I would be looking for an in-class TEFL 120+ with 20+ F2F that is under 500euros here in Galway.

You might consider doing your TEFL course in your target country; it's likely a cheaper option, and you'd be practicing with learners from that culture. It also gives you immediate exposure to potential employers during your training period.

Keep in mind you'll also need to budget for startup costs, which include airfare to your desired destination, visa fees, lodging, food, ground transportation, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: