Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you send the actual degree to the embassy?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brnrd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Do you send the actual degree to the embassy? Reply with quote

I read two threads on this topic,but it was regarding the US process.

I have already had my degree notarized step 1

I have also brought that document to my province(NS) for whatever purpose,other than bureaucratic shenanigans.

I printed off the Sino-application from the Chinese embassy's website.

I presume my final step is to send the 2 documents & completed application to the address specified on the website,but with the copy notarized of my degree or do I also include my actual degree?

Cheers,
WW/Bernard
backtochina2017

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 US processes and I imagine the same goes with other countries.

You can get your diploma authenticated being in your country, and you can get your diploma authenticated abroad.

We don't know from your post which one you are doing. What is "NS"? The only thing I can think of is Nova Scotia.

"I presume my final step is to send the 2 documents & completed application to the address specified on the website"

What website? If you are referring to the Chinese embassy website, I don't think they will allow mail ins. You have to have someone go in person. I am using the following service http://www.mychinavisa.com/china-visa/work-visa/

In this case, no diploma is needed. It was only needed to get the work permit and invitation letter. I sent that with my school's supporting documents to china visa with passport, photo, and scanned copy. Make sure the application is typed and not handwritten. The Chinese consulate may not accept it handwritten.

You might want to contact these people https://china.visacenter.ca/apply
astrotrain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Do you send the actual degree to the embassy? Reply with quote

brnrd wrote:

I have already had my degree notarized step 1

I have also brought that document to my province(NS) for whatever purpose,other than bureaucratic shenanigans.

I printed off the Sino-application from the Chinese embassy's website.

I presume my final step is to send the 2 documents & completed application to the address specified on the website,but with the copy notarized of my degree or do I also include my actual degree?

Cheers,
WW/Bernard

I am from Toronto, how much did it cost you for step 1) notarization there?

Wonder if I can use these guys $13, http://toronto-notary-public.com/

Step 2) how did you find where to go to get this done, I am from Ontario not sure where to go for this? I also found this nonsensical, a bloody lawyer or judge already verified the doc, why repeat process?

Step 3) yeah, you send everything including the original and copy to the nearest consulate not the Visa center to have them stamp it and mail it to you. You must include your passpot and copy too.

http://toronto.china-consulate.org/eng/vp/na/t946459.htm

Please provide feedback on how long the whole thing took and costs incurred. Will be doing mine soon, bloody mess.
brnrd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Astrotrain,
I paid $20 to get my undergrad notarized,but it'll likely cost a bit more in Toronto.
The 2nd step I'm a bit fuzzy on - It was some Provincial government office 12 months ago,and the cost was a bit more about $50-60 I'm guessing.

You can walk in to the Chinese consulate or embassy,but I couldn't as I'm in Nova Scotia,so I have to go through a visa company(add another fee!)
I also found out you have to send the actual degree,and hard copy & photocopy of passport.That's all I know at this time.

Cheers,
Bernard
rocket man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the US, I had to send my original degree with the apostille (or whatever they call it for China) AND a copy of my diploma (along with a copy of my passport and drivers license) along with their form and $30 (+$100 for the agent fee) to an agent in Austin where I lived who sent it to the consulate in Houston. Could have saved the agent fee if I had wanted to drive to Houston to drop it off then go back 4 days later to pick it up.
astrotrain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brnrd wrote:
Dear Astrotrain,
I paid $20 to get my undergrad notarized,but it'll likely cost a bit more in Toronto.
The 2nd step I'm a bit fuzzy on - It was some Provincial government office 12 months ago,and the cost was a bit more about $50-60 I'm guessing.

You can walk in to the Chinese consulate or embassy,but I couldn't as I'm in Nova Scotia,so I have to go through a visa company(add another fee!)
I also found out you have to send the actual degree,and hard copy & photocopy of passport.That's all I know at this time.

Cheers,
Bernard

Thanks Bernard,

Guess you done the 1st 2 steps a year ago then found a school just now and doing the final step with the Consulate?

Never thought how complicated and tedious this whole process is.

Did you need to get your degree from your University's registrar's office sealed or is your degree on the wall like mine? Where are you going if you don't mind me asking?

I am still searching for Sept starts, hopefully back to Southern China.
astrotrain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brnrd wrote:
Dear Astrotrain,

Cheers,
Bernard

Got my degree Notarized, all done! It was relatively cheap but still tedious process. Just wanted to help fellow Canucks on the steps you should take.

If you are in Canada, particular Toronto, here are the steps you should take:

1) get your photocopy of your degree and original to a notary republic, basically an active licensed lawyer. I went with the gentlemen in my post above, $14, cheap as heck, his office is right above my family doctor! He basically places his seal on the photocopy. Being your ID.

2) go to the official document services (ODS) office at 222 Jarvis (Dundas &jarvis). They will give you a document certifying that the lawyer's seal on your degree copy of legitimate (the lawyer is registered in their official records). Only.cost $16.

3) print out your application for notarization form at Chinese consulate. The form is bloody at the consulate 240 st George st. The one on their web site is outdated. Photocopy the ODS certificate plus your copy of degree. You do not need to give the consulate your original
Degree nor passport but just a copy of them! Bring your original passport and degree so they can see but take them home.

Cost $30 cnd took 4 business days to pickup.

You will see a sticker stamp at the back of the ODS certificate once you receive it back from consulate. Process took 2 weeks for me, becus of work.

Cost is $60 bucks all together but I teach Economics so there was an opportunity cost to get all this done. Hope that helps others.
astrotrain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to add the consulate in Toronto is a teeny tiny place, always packed! They open only for 3 hours M-F, yes 9 am to 12pm, that's it! So do yourself a favor and get their just before 9 or you will be screwed by a long queue. They wasted my time the first time since on their website they indicated afternoon hours. Don't trust their online site.
ttalapp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Criminal background check Reply with quote

Thanks astrotrain for the useful info.
How about criminal background check? Did you have to get it notarised and bring it to chinese consulate as well?
I live in TO, so will be going through the same process. Coming from Kunming and renewing my passport.
huoguojiggae2017

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I am in the opposite boat. I don't see the threads you read, and I only see this one regarding Canada.

If you are in the USA, do yourself a favor and send the diploma with your other documents to your courier service so they can authenticate it with the Chinese consulate. I didn't do this and when I went to get a new FEC, new residence permit, I was told I needed to authenticate it with the Chinese consulate. It cost an extra $400 at least. If I had done it before coming to China, it would have just been an extra $100 charge.

Hopefully, we will get a sticky thread outlining everything, not just one item like this. Fingerprints and TEFL are also required. Do it all now or face the consequences you will have to do it in sequence later, prolonging things.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do things work if you have a B.A. and an M.A.? Do you need to authenticate both documents in order to obtain said visa?

Thanks
nomadic_meow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnRambo wrote:
How do things work if you have a B.A. and an M.A.? Do you need to authenticate both documents in order to obtain said visa?

Thanks

The details that one university supplied me with say "highest academic degree."

Thank your deity of choice or other factor, for such small bits of sanity in an otherwise potentially very long process.

Last edited by nomadic_meow on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
nomadic_meow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Doing it overseas is dicey unless you can wait Forever. Reply with quote

Getting it done overseas can be trying to say the least. It's possible if you have a few hundred US dollars to blow for consular fees *and* waiting around some additional days which a local Chinese consulate takes - among other things.

Neither the school nor the consular desk in Hanoi seems to know exactly how long the wait would be altogether though. The nice lady on the phone said a few days normally plus apparently, another few days or a week just because there's a new apostille to verify and doing that "depends on my boss" somehow... And sometimes you may also have days of wait just to get inside some of the US or Viet offices involved to get the apostille in the first place.

All of this assumes your previous employer is nice enough to be very responsive and promptly send you documents you need from China (or wherever) to apply anyway. Or that some prospective employer might be interested enough to pick up a phone and call them in Chinese and give them a little nudge, rather than having teachers show up late or not at all because they got tired or could not afford all this uncertainty. You would suppose? Cough, cough. "Yeah right" in some cases.
nomadic_meow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, someone is confused. At least about doing it in Vietnam.

The Chinese consulate in Hanoi says go to the US consulate for apostilles and then have them backed up by another stamp by the "Vietnamese military office" (somehow I doubt this is the official name but they gave an address to go to). However, now that the US consulate has reopened after a long hiatus, they say 1) Vietnam is not part of the apostille system at all -- at least "not yet" -- and 2) American documents for US in China have to be apostilled IN China or else perhaps done through Authentications (not apostilles) in the US. It sounds like they will not touch this process in Vietnam at all, after all.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The apostille system is not recognized by China. Documents need to be authenticated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: