Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding a job on the ground

View previous topic :: View next topic  
das31

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Finding a job on the ground Reply with quote

What do you think my chances are of getting a job at a uni if I came to Muscat in January and knocked on doors?

4 years experience, Cert TESOL, MA App Ling (and an unrelated MA), NZ passport.

Thanks in advance
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero at Sultan Qaboos... perhaps at one of the private colleges, but you would likely have to return home to do the paperwork for a work visa. Walk-ins are not the way hiring is done. (except with people who are already in the country on a residence/spousal visa)

I would suggest applying at some of the private colleges and mention that you could be there for an interview.

VS
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email your CV and mention you will be in the country in January
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if you've already planned to head to Oman early next year for a visit/holiday. Paying for a special trip solely in hopes of landing work for the 2018-2019 academic year is a pricy risk, especially if you're not already in the region. Plus, knocking on doors is hit-n-miss; the key people you'd need to see may not be available (or willing) to see you.

BTW, top employer Sultan Qaboos University usually holds its recruitment efforts at TESOL Arabia's annual job fair. As VS indicated, that would be a "no" for walking in to SQU.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my former colleagues got retrenched from her job at my CAS in Salalah due to her age, but she was then able to get a job at the University of Dhofar. I guess that counts as a 'walk in'. However, she was highly qualified, had been in Salalah for years and, I'm guessing, probably knew quite a few of the 'right people'. In short, she was definitely the exception, rather than the rule.

I got my job in Oman by just applying online from outside the country. Same with pretty much everyone else I knew. If you are coming to Oman for a holiday anyway, have a few extra days up your sleeve, and don't mind knocking on doors, well, OK. It might make a difference, you could get lucky, and, if not, at least you tried. However, I certainly wouldn't make a special trip over there just for that. I'd advise just keeping an eye on the various job boards and applying when a position is advertised and/or maybe even just e-mailing your CV 'cold call' style. Good luck!
das31

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your advice.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a firm believer that "knocking on doors" works wonders...it did for me in Muscrat....and I have secured the best EFL teaching offers by doing this in Oh Man!!!!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes one...

...and you were probably already working there... or elsewhere in the Gulf.

VS
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you like living in Oman? How does it compare to say the UAE or Saudi Arabia? Which universities would you recommend? What kind of paperwork do you need? I don't know much about the visa process. I'm teaching at a university in Turkey, and I would consider coming to to Oman and working.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a proud South African I am very happy to have worked in Oh Man! It is a wonderful country and the people are very friendly!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: