Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MOE English Teachers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marklor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at the possibility of teaching in Sharjah with MOE,
Does anyone here work there ? Whats the situation on the ground like.
Is the rent a lot cheaper etc?
I-forgot

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MOE no longer allows teachers to choose where they would like to work. They are sent to wherever there is a need for teachers. Unsurprisingly, Dubai, Sharjah and RAK are well supplied with teachers while the east coast is understaffed. Actually, part of Sharjah is on the east coast so maybe you will get that location but that is probably not what you think of when you think of Sharjah.

Rent is not significantly cheaper and traffic between Dubai and Sharjah (the main part of Sharjah) is a PITA.
scarlie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Working in Kor Fakkan Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what working in Kor Fakkan would be like? Do most people live in Fujairah and commute? Is there much to do?
metopia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: PM Reply with quote

Golden Beach - I have to PM you!
Golden Beach

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth Khor Fakkan is really cheap and really nice. I have a traditional Arabic house which costs me 30,000 a year but I think I was lucky to find it.

My colleagues pay between 18,000 and 25,000 a year for one bedroom apartments.

If you can bear to live in a small studio you can find them for 15,000 or less.

Also I don't know anyone who pays a year in advance. Generally you pay 3 months in advance then write three cheques for the rest of the year which are cashed when the next 3 months' rent is due.

But that's in Khor Fakkan...but it's the same all along the East coast as far as I can tell.
Golden Beach

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Working in Kor Fakkan Reply with quote

scarlie wrote:
Can anyone tell me what working in Kor Fakkan would be like? Do most people live in Fujairah and commute? Is there much to do?

So sorry I missed your PM.

Khor Fakkan is in my opinion the best town in the country. The coral reefs are nice, there are lots of water sports to enjoy like jet-skiing, parasailing, scuba diving and the like...

There are also great restaurants here and a nice vibe in general along the corniche in the evenings....It's a small compact easy going place where everything you need is close by....

The only thing they don't have is bars and clubs but that suits me down to the ground...keeps me out of trouble Wink

Last edited by Golden Beach on Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:13 am; edited 2 times in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You fixed your little spelling error... but thanks for the little chuckle with my morning tea. Laughing (probably a bit conservative there for your unintended suggestion)

And thanks for the information for those who may have a job possibility there.

VS
Golden Beach

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
You fixed your little spelling error... but thanks for the little chuckle with my morning tea. Laughing (probably a bit conservative there for your unintended suggestion)

VS

Haha...indeed....
monkeymansu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious, a lot of people are saying you can't save money in the UAE anymore. Does this still hold true if myself and my wife are both working and we don't have kids? Living in one of the Northern Emirates. We're not looking for a crazy glamorous lifestyle but we would like to save money.

Also, a friend of mine living in the UAE told me that to cover the rent, banks will loan you the money. This should reduce some of the initial start up costs at least.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeymansu wrote:
I'm just curious, a lot of people are saying you can't save money in the UAE anymore. Does this still hold true if myself and my wife are both working and we don't have kids?
Also, a friend of mine living in the UAE told me that to cover the rent, banks will loan you the money.

The concept of saving money is subjective and depend on the person's spending habits, salary level, quality/number of employer-provided benefits, ongoing financial obligations, target savings goal, etc. Generally, a two-income, childless household should do fine, however.

You should budget for some of your startup costs. Questions about accommodations (if not employer covered) should have been addressed before accepting the offer. Housing in the UAE can be pricey.
monkeymansu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have the housing benefit but the jobs pay 21,000k a month each and includes flights and medical insurance. We have some debt from living in the UK but have some money to bring with us. We're not particularly extravagant and can live on a tight budget with an occasional meal out. We're not really drinkers or partiers. I'd actually prefer to be away from Dubai and in the areas that offer more outdoor pursuits.
Shakhbut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeymansu wrote:
We don't have the housing benefit but the jobs pay 21,000k a month each and includes flights and medical insurance. We have some debt from living in the UK but have some money to bring with us. We're not particularly extravagant and can live on a tight budget with an occasional meal out. We're not really drinkers or partiers. I'd actually prefer to be away from Dubai and in the areas that offer more outdoor pursuits.

On 42,000 a month, you can save a bundle without kids. Just be wary of the startup costs and having to fork out a year's rent in advance and various deposits. I wouldn't count on a loan for your rent. But that total monthly income is a lot, and that's coming from someone earning a lot less and supporting a family in the big smoke.
worldtraveller

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite frankly, it doesn't look like much has changed in the UAE at the MOE Ministry of Educatioin in the last 10 to 20 years.

This position was a nightmare, literally a prison guard or reform school equivalency. The students were extremely unruly, disrespectful, dangerous. Just being honest.

If someone has had a different experience, I would like to hear. I know the students in Dubai and Sharjah were extremely spoiled, weren't there to listen or learn. I would not recommend this position. On top of that, we the teachers were lied and told about anything to get us over there and then to keep us. Just lie on top of lie.

I've talked to teachers that recently worked at the MOE in UAE and same story. Just a warning for those that want to heed the knowledge.
worldtraveller

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden Beach wrote:
Probably the worst teaching experience.......in the world.

With apologies to Heineken and Jeremy Clarkson.

Anyone having a good time and not just counting money?

It's hell and I die a little more every day.

But I've saved 10 grand.

Your choice. You'll sweat for it though.

This guy above is ABSOLUTELY TELLING THE TRUTH. If you can stomach harassment, reform school, prison guard teaching, then pocket some money and be gone.
Golden Beach

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are improving in some schools.....

You might be lucky and get a reasonable school. Or you might be in a shit school and it may improve while you are there, hell, you and your colleagues might even be the reason it's improving.

My advice is that if you teach boys here you have to have a good sense of humour, be able to make the students laugh/entertain them...and yourself.... make mirth from the mayhem......but always be ready to be scary when you need to.... and practise Zen meditation so you can flush away all the madness from the classroom.

Contact parents and threatening to works really well. As does giving out candy and telling students they are good boys (positive reinforcement) they all want to be good boys at a certain level... Coax, encourage and scare....all work well in different combinations.... but you have to know what you're doing and actually be a good teacher..... bad/boring teachers just won't be able to hack it and win anyone round.

If you can do that you might enjoy it.... I am actually having a great year now...... because I learned to enjoy the chaos and bring it into some order... and also because the good thing about this job is that you can leave it at the school gates....unless you're a lead-teacher I guess.... That's not something I would do personally....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: