Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anger grows among educated but unemployed young Omanis

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Anger grows among educated but unemployed young Omanis Reply with quote

Just in case anybody is interested:

http://www.thenational.ae/world/middle-east/anger-grows-among-educated-but-unemployed-young-omanis
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading the same title about Oman in the early 1990s. There have never been enough jobs for the locals... and the more intelligent of them told me back in 2000 that they knew that they were going to have to migrate to get work... just as their grandfathers and great-grandfathers had done.

VS
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put simply, whatever qualifications and certificates are obtained from the Omani education system- how many of these students are actually 'work ready' in terms of motivation and attitude?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worked there for four years I would never hire any Omani with 'qualifications' from any Omani institution except SQU. I've seen the grade 'easing' at first hand not to mention the cheating which is 'not seen.'
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
Put simply, whatever qualifications and certificates are obtained from the Omani education system- how many of these students are actually 'work ready' in terms of motivation and attitude?

Based on the work ethic that most of my students displayed, they would have been considered unemployable back in the West. I think one of the reasons for the, dare I say, 'work-shy' culture that you find in so much of the GCC may have something to do with the fact that they never really experienced an industrial revolution.The history of slave ownership probably didn't help either. Anyway, there was no period in their history where locals working fourteen hours a day on the factory floor was considered as a 'step up'. They went from being poor and involved in mostly low-intensity occupations (fishing, subsistence farming etc.) to suddenly becoming wealthy, without really having done anything to have earned it. Most of the unpleasant, menial jobs were/are simply allocated to cheap foreign labor and, in the jobs taken by Omanis, not a hell of a lot was expected of them in terms of productivity.

Last edited by 1st Sgt Welsh on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internships, apprenticeships, on-the-job training, and part-time employment would certainly be invaluable. The UAE has already embraced some of these work-ready strategies.
madrileno

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The headline should read, ("educated" and unemployable).

I have to agree with MuscatGary. Credentials and degrees from the Gulf are nothing near the standards you'd find in applicants from N America, Europe, or Japan, and quite frankly considered useless, even between different Gulf countries.

The disorganization in colleges (even in ones that have been open for years), rampant cheating, and doctoring of grades by administrations who don't want to deal with student protests, or just simply want to collect more government funds are all contributing factors to the mess that is higher education in Oman and the rest of the Gulf. And that's just in the ministry public colleges. Private institutions are heaps worse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: