Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going into TEFL for a year or two?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Langle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Going into TEFL for a year or two? Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

Im new to the forum and looking for some advice. My situation is that is that ill be getting my BA in political science in a week or two and im looking for options after graduation. My main consideration of TEFL comes from my ambition to to learn Russian as I want to eventually come back to the states to do further education in Russian history. I plan on getting a Celta and next September plan to be at an intermediate level of Russian.

So do folks think this is a wise move? Will I be able to break even considered the cost of living and cost of Celta?

PS It may seem obvious but to make things clear: I have no teaching experience.
aris

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
I think your plan makes sense. With a college degree, celta and native speaker status you'll probably get more than one offer so you can afford to be picky. Plus not so many teachers want to come to Russia any more because of the recession and the political situation, so there is a lot of demand for foreign teachers. As far as breaking even goes, it depends on your lifestyle. But if you start with one of the mcschools, they will provide you with accommodation in a shared apartment, and utilities are very cheap in Russia, so that will help. You'll also have a choice of a 24 or 30 hour contract, plus probably a discount on Russian classes. The pay is not that great, but if you live relatively modestly you'll get by. For more extravagant living, saving, paying off your celta etc. you can give private lessons. If you're lucky and land a position at an international school, or some other school that pays more than the mcschools, things will be easier.
Good luck!
elkotik

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to play devil's advocate, but why only a year or two? You either do it as a career or not at all, not as a job to just travel the world. Moscow at least is already inundated with tourist teachers or people who wanna live there and "teach" (in the loosest sense of the word) to earn money to fund their travels/partying etc.
aris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on whether you view teaching as a vocation or just another job. But if you're qualified, I don't see why you cannot do it for some time and then move on. I think one can still be a good teacher, even if it's not their dream career.
Langle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elkotik wrote:
I'm going to play devil's advocate, but why only a year or two? You either do it as a career or not at all, not as a job to just travel the world. Moscow at least is already inundated with tourist teachers or people who wanna live there and "teach" (in the loosest sense of the word) to earn money to fund their travels/partying etc.

Thanks for the replies everybody.

Moscow seems a bit too expensive. My overall goal is to spend a while in Russia or Ukraine immersed in the language and preferably i would like someone to pay me to do it. TEFL seems like one of the best ways to do that from what I have heard. So yes, I don't see myself developing a TEFL career, rather just staying in it for the short term.
elkotik

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langle wrote:
elkotik wrote:

Moscow seems a bit too expensive. My overall goal is to spend a while in Russia or Ukraine immersed in the language and preferably i would like someone to pay me to do it. TEFL seems like one of the best ways to do that from what I have heard. So yes, I don't see myself developing a TEFL career, rather just staying in it for the short term.

I'm sorry, but no, this is not the approach to be taking. If you're that keen to do so, why not do 3-month stints hopping between the two? At least that way you'll get time to apply for Russian visas (and Ukrainian assuming you need one for that length of time).

Frankly, I've dealt with people who came as 'teachers' but really just wanted to hang out and party all the time, even those with Russian degrees. Russians demand blood for their money pretty much, so if you're not going to take their education seriously, you'll also not be taken seriously in return and not get much to take up, if anything at all. Reputation is key in this part of the world.
Langle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elkotik wrote:
Langle wrote:
elkotik wrote:

I'm sorry, but no, this is not the approach to be taking. If you're that keen to do so, why not do 3-month stints hopping between the two? At least that way you'll get time to apply for Russian visas (and Ukrainian assuming you need one for that length of time).

Frankly, I've dealt with people who came as 'teachers' but really just wanted to hang out and party all the time, even those with Russian degrees. Russians demand blood for their money pretty much, so if you're not going to take their education seriously, you'll also not be taken seriously in return and not get much to take up, if anything at all. Reputation is key in this part of the world.

Duly noted.

It would be nice to be able to travel and immerse myself that way, but gotta make those rubles.
Spasibo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a fresh grad with no teaching experience, Moscow may well eat you alive. With the ruble exchange rate to the US dollar, you seriously would be better of finding a job at home and save up a bit first.

After living expenses in Moscow you would be lucky to break even or even save a penny. Consider you'll need to pay your flight over to Russia and have funds for medical insurance etc...

Plan ahead and take even half a year or a year to get over. You missed the Sept hiring for this academic year and you'll need to get a certificate. also it takes time to get the visa invitation and paperwork. good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: