Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attitudes of teachers in Moscow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elkotik

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Attitudes of teachers in Moscow Reply with quote

Having been in Moscow for a couple of years, it has occurred to me that the vast majority of people here are usually not suitably qualified (often an online certificate at best), but also:

1) extremely selfish, especially regarding the money they demand for lessons
2) often don't care about who they teach
3) spend almost all their time with their countrypeople (including those who have DEGREES in Russian)
4) criticise those who publically voice criticism about anything e.g. criticsing tourist teachers
5) have unrealistic expectations

Any thoughts?
aris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you're describing is a symptom of the general situation as of 2014, when the economy and the political climate downspiralled. You can see it reflected on these forums, thriving then, now hardly any input. It also reflects the superficiality of employers who market themselves as employing only native speaker teachers, so they put native status ahead of qualifications, interest in chosen career, or in fact anything else. In the old days they could get people who where both native and more or less career oriented, now they settle for all they can get. There are still schools like international house that only hire people with a celta though.
elkotik

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aris wrote:
I think what you're describing is a symptom of the general situation as of 2014, when the economy and the political climate downspiralled. You can see it reflected on these forums, thriving then, now hardly any input. It also reflects the superficiality of employers who market themselves as employing only native speaker teachers, so they put native status ahead of qualifications, interest in chosen career, or in fact anything else. In the old days they could get people who where both native and more or less career oriented, now they settle for all they can get. There are still schools like international house that only hire people with a celta though.

I disagree with that actually to an extent, even before the ruble crashed, I noted that natives were still arrogant jerks anyway. However, I've personally worked with people who try to charge up to 10,000rub AN HOUR for lessons (admittedly to the super wealthy but even so...) or even agreeing to one price then demanding more afterwards. Yes, there are people there who are effectively prostituting themselves and tourist teachers who are misleading locals, but in general, most people always seemed to have fulfilled the criteria I mentioned in my original post.
Spasibo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elkotik are you still in Moscow? I was there this year teaching. Heck I may have even ran into you without knowing it. I did encounter quite a few teachers among the expat groups, but I still tended to hang with Russians more.

Every person has their own reason, Moscow seems to attract a nefarious bunch. Some of the expats I met were a bit "odd" but that's expected. Others were fine people.

10,000 rubles an hours?!?!!? now that's an unheard of price even for the super rich. 3000-4000 is the most I have heard asked, and that is for a very qualified, educated person wtih loads of specific experience.
elkotik

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spasibo wrote:
elkotik are you still in Moscow? I was there this year teaching. Heck I may have even ran into you without knowing it. I did encounter quite a few teachers among the expat groups, but I still tended to hang with Russians more.

I am, but I doubt we ever crossed paths to be honest, bar the few clowns I used to work with at FrameStar Education (all of whom have now left for one reason or another) and one or two others I met through one way or another, I only associate with 3 'expat' teachers, 2 of whom are half Russian anyway.

Spasibo wrote:
Every person has their own reason, Moscow seems to attract a nefarious bunch. Some of the expats I met were a bit "odd" but that's expected. Others were fine people.

That's what I mean, I've seen this happen to many people - they come here, think everyone is super rich and they can do whatever the **** they want etc. It's all about the ego here for some reason...

Spasibo wrote:
10,000 rubles an hours?!?!!? now that's an unheard of price even for the super rich. 3000-4000 is the most I have heard asked, and that is for a very qualified, educated person wtih loads of specific experience.

From what I understand, this particular MOD EDIT believes that because this particular family lived in Rublyevka and it 'took time to travel there', she was justified in asking for such a high sum, to which the family quite rightly contested. Said same individual got her boyfriend hooked up with a voice recording gig which lasted 20 minutes and agreed to take 2000rub for it...then suddenly demanded 7500rub for it! Consider that she doesn't have a real qualification like CELTA etc, little to 0 real experience, wasted a degree in Chinese and openly overcharges everyone on the grounds she is a young British girl...well...
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only point here that I find a bit perplexing is the idea that some teachers charge too much for their lessons. There is no harm in asking for a lot of money, is there? The worst that can happen is the potential student says "no." I don't consider myself a hyper-capitalist or anything, but I think people should be able to charge as much as they see fit (and the market allows). Even in Moscow, there aren't many native speakers around, so simple supply and demand would dictate that native speakers can charge higher rates for their services.
elkotik

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpvanderwerf2001 wrote:
The only point here that I find a bit perplexing is the idea that some teachers charge too much for their lessons. There is no harm in asking for a lot of money, is there? The worst that can happen is the potential student says "no." I don't consider myself a hyper-capitalist or anything, but I think people should be able to charge as much as they see fit (and the market allows). Even in Moscow, there aren't many native speakers around, so simple supply and demand would dictate that native speakers can charge higher rates for their services.

I agree that higher prices can be asked for, no one ever contested that, but to the extremes that I mentioned before are absolutely barmy. It's all down to selfishness and greed.
Spasibo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...many young and naive teachers who go to Moscow for "fun" end up leaving early. It's no big deal. Not everyone who comes is focused on teaching...

I agree native speakers can set their price but also need to be reasonable. Travel time can be compensated but not to that high an extent.

There are enough teachers that someone can be found to do the job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: