Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you deal with lazy, spoilt, unmotivated teenagers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elicit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you for standing your ground. Sorry to hear it may have cost you. Try and find a place that has students and academic staff who want a real teacher and will appreciate your efforts. Best of luck.
The bear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rocket man wrote:
a follow up, gave a test on Monday caught 4 students cheating and told them as they were turning in their tests they were getting a zero (if I had taken their tests away while they were taking it would have likely caused a huge ruckus) well it did turn into a huge ruckus, the leader of the group attacked me, took my tests away then he and his buddies went through them looking for their tests I tried to get them back by trying to push my way back into the ruckus, they threw elbows and pushed me back, finally got another teacher to come in and help me, one kept cussing at me then kicking over desks

result: I was told not to come in for the rest of the semester "for my safety" kids who attacked me? Still in school...

what a joke

How old are the students?
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exam protocol, leave one by one and silently. Not sure how this happened, but can envision it in a nightmare.
Voyeur

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I think you need to leave. There's rarely any turning back once stuff like that starts to happen. Either it's the institution and situation's fault, in which case it likely isn't getting better. Or it's your fault, but then you've lost so much respect it's nearly impossible to get back. Or it's a mix of the above.
In any of the above cases, a new start is typically the only answer. It's not like there is a shortage of jobs in China.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably going to sound harsh Rocketman...
But imo, from the little info given, it is mostly your own doing. You should never have allowed this situation to come about. I wish you luck for the future.
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechangling wrote:
theoriginalprankster wrote:
I'm so happy I'm not with this school anymore. I've had a pleasant month, relaxing and packing and job hunting. I found some good offers in Qingdao and Hangzhou.

I've learnt my lesson - never teach at the so called "international schools". I will divulge the name of this school once I get my final salary. They need to be denounced, publicly.

Looks like I'll be teaching kids again, or perhaps I'll just catch a plane to the Philippines and live the simple life for a while.

I experienced something similar at a Maple Leaf school in Jingzhou back in 2016. It was terribly run by people put into those positions because of their 'relationships'. The principle and deputy (if you can call them that) just walked around the grounds watching the classrooms. They never bothered to introduce themselves. The chinese english teachers were paid an absolute pittance and slaved to the maximum with a workload that stressed them all.

Your comment implies those teachers were in chains and couldn't leave. AFAIK Chinese employees are free to quit whenever a workplace situation becomes unbearable, and I've seen it happen. If they don't leave then they need to ask themselves why they stay.

rocket man wrote:
a follow up, gave a test on Monday caught 4 students cheating and told them as they were turning in their tests they were getting a zero (if I had taken their tests away while they were taking it would have likely caused a huge ruckus) well it did turn into a huge ruckus, the leader of the group attacked me, took my tests away then he and his buddies went through them looking for their tests I tried to get them back by trying to push my way back into the ruckus, they threw elbows and pushed me back, finally got another teacher to come in and help me, one kept cussing at me then kicking over desks

It might have felt great for a moment, but there was no good reason to tell them they were getting zero as they handed in the papers. Instead of being provocative you should have quietly taken the exams home and failed them after the fact for cheating, thus avoiding the post-exam ruckus and humiliation. File this under "lessons learned" and good luck moving forward.

getbehindthemule wrote:
But imo, from the little info given, it is mostly your own doing. You should never have allowed this situation to come about. I wish you luck for the future.

You're right. This situation didn't just pop out of nowhere, it was allowed to develop over time, and someone is responsible. Even if the teacher bears little or no accountability, who in their right mind would allow themselves to be disrespected day in and day out like this? No amount of money is worth that.
thechangling

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They stay because low salaries, slavery, stress and pressure are the norm in China, not the exception. It's a symptom and feature of the authoritarian state relational (not a legal based system as in the west) which as a consequence provides the perfect breeding ground for corruption. This is not an isolated phenomenon.
Spatula City

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blistering Zanazilz wrote:

rocket man wrote:

It might have felt great for a moment, but there was no good reason to tell them they were getting zero as they handed in the papers. Instead of being provocative you should have quietly taken the exams home and failed them after the fact for cheating, thus avoiding the post-exam ruckus and humiliation. File this under "lessons learned" and good luck moving forward.

getbehindthemule wrote:

You're right. This situation didn't just pop out of nowhere, it was allowed to develop over time, and someone is responsible. Even if the teacher bears little or no accountability, who in their right mind would allow themselves to be disrespected day in and day out like this? No amount of money is worth that.

I know I'm basically piling on here, but yes, it is obvious to me too.

Telling them right after they hand it in just comes off as vindictive and sets up a conflict situation. It makes them think that you enjoyed watching them cheat just so you could tell them that.

I guarantee they did not learn a lesson of any kind from this, and they don't respect him any more than they did before... in fact, it seems like they have less respect for him now.

There is no need to say anything at all to them. Warn them beforehand that the penalty for cheating is failure, and tell them that if you see it you won't stop them... and they will find out if you saw them or not when they get their mark.

The head trip alone is a pretty solid deterrent.
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechangling wrote:
They stay because low salaries, slavery, stress and pressure are the norm in China, not the exception. It's a symptom and feature of the authoritarian state relational (not a legal based system as in the west) which as a consequence provides the perfect breeding ground for corruption. This is not an isolated phenomenon.

Chinese workers aren't idiots. They know when they're in a less than ideal work situation and anyone with an ounce of ambition and any sense of pride can and will move on to something better. Millions do just that. And stop conflating "slavery" with legal employment. It diminishes the suffering of those who are in truly appalling work conditions. That includes the modern day slaves in backwaters like Mauritania, or South Asian workers in the Gulf, who are often trapped in an exploitative situation because they've had their passports seized.
thechangling

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blistering Zanazilz wrote:
thechangling wrote:

Chinese workers aren't idiots. They know when they're in a less than ideal work situation and anyone with an ounce of ambition and any sense of pride can and will move on to something better. Millions do just that. And stop conflating "slavery" with legal employment. It diminishes the suffering of those who are in truly appalling work conditions. That includes the modern day slaves in backwaters like Mauritania, or South Asian workers in the Gulf, who are often trapped in an exploitative situation because they've had their passports seized.

When people are paid less than what it costs to stay alive this is a form of economic slavery. When real choice in the job market means taking another low paid job that's also below the cost of living line, that's also slavery. True choice or bettering oneself is a mirage in China. Moving on to something better just doesn't happen in China. 'The Black economy is the only other way of making up for a poor salary that equates to poisoned food, accommodation that is crowded, noisy, small without proper heating/cooling/ventilation and sanitary.
In China legal employment equates to whatever the employer can get away with depending on his/her 'guanxi'. Truly enforced legal parameters are not enforced in China. 'Relationships' and the resulting 'corruption substitutes for this instead.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Chinese employees voluntarily work illegally to avoid paying taxes. If they work legally there are many benefits that employers are legally obligated to take care of, if they work illegally they can forget about that.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha! Slavery
and

'The Black economy is the only other way of making up for a poor salary that equates to poisoned food, accommodation that is crowded, noisy, small without proper heating/cooling/ventilation and sanitary.

Such dramatization!!

A lot of nonsense on here at times Laughing
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LENGTHY POSTINGS

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=116968
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: