Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what jobs are there in the UAE nowadays except at unis?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Well. In the oil field, such salaries are usually reserved for 'others'.

Again, so what. Not everyone in TEFL lists money as a priority. I know of two Americans who retired from top government jobs while still in their 40s and got into teaching abroad for travel and other non-financial reasons.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Noone works in remote areas for the lifestyle and travel. Furthermore, noone gets these jobs having done something else for years.

You know exactly what I'm saying.

Are you even in the UAE and have you ever even worked in an oil field?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Noone works in remote areas for the lifestyle and travel. Furthermore, noone gets these jobs having done something else for years.

You know exactly what I'm saying.

Are you even in the UAE and have you ever even worked in an oil field?

Speak for yourself. Why should you care that Americans (or other nationalities, for that matter) accept salaries you find distasteful?

BTW, I experienced the Arab Spring first hand, worked in KSA (as a single female), and was also a State Dept. contractor in a war zone country. I didn't go for the lifestyle, nor were finances at the top of my list. And I, too, did something else years before that.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Show me the money Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
BTW, I experienced the Arab Spring first hand, worked in KSA (as a single female), and was also a State Dept. contractor in a war zone country. I didn't go for the lifestyle, nor were finances at the top of my list. And I, too, did something else years before that.

Bravo! All of these are reasons that we teach overseas, aside from the pay check. However, I believe that the original poster wants information on how to make money. We know that the oil companies and universities are cutting back. We know that the best option for getting a teaching job now is to have a K-12 license, a Masters degree and some years in the classroom. The UAE is focusing on STEM, so Science plus ESL would be a good combination.

IELTS Examiner qualification could certainly help to pad out a skimpy salary, but it can wreak the work life balance.

Aside from these suggestions, are there any other paths? Educational Technology? Should a person consider embassy work? If it comes down to working in an embassy, then obviously this is not the forum.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:
I believe that the original poster wants information on how to make money.

FYI: The original poster is now "exitthedragon," a repeat offender of many usernames and suspect quals.

However, I agree; the oil jobs are drying up, so it's moot to even mention them. Non-teaching professions that seem to have openings include speech and language pathology as well as library science.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: well..... Reply with quote

Saudiaramco are hiring. It's the best paid gig in town these days. You could give Petrofac a call as they have the odd offering.

I think Gulezar's right re the UAE. K12 the only way but it ain't all that. Good for a teaching couple.

And Nomad? I don't even get what you're droning on about. I've been in several war zones, evacuated/rescued twice and had direct murder threats from 'jihadis'. It's something I'd not recommend and no ESL salary is worth that.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:
IELTS Examiner qualification could certainly help to pad out a skimpy salary, but it can wreak the work life balance.

Aside from these suggestions, are there any other paths? Educational Technology?

Along with digital marketing, instructional designer, curriculum designer...

Unfortunately, it's quite likely that openings can be filled with nationals and resident expats rather than job seekers abroad. Local hires have the connections which allow them to better network for other education-related positions or those in other fields. Plus, they're more likely knowledgeable about employment trends in the country.
ttxor1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: what jobs are there in the UAE nowadays except at unis? Reply with quote

MOD edit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: