Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tourist to Work Visa in Hong Kong
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voyeur

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject: Tourist to Work Visa in Hong Kong Reply with quote

I can get all my documents authenticated here in Canada. But I was thinking of going over on a tourist visa and checking out places in person first. Then, when I found a place I liked and was confident in, going to Hong Kong to get the Z Visa.
I wouldn't be working on the tourist visa, just looking at schools and sightseeing.
However, some people have told me that if all my docs are authenticated in Canada, I have to get the Z Visa processed in Canada--the days of the Hong Kong run are over.
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are too many variables in this process, and I don't think you'll know the answer to your question till you try applying for a job. Then you can ask the potential employer if the HK visa run is a possibility. If it were me I'd line up a job and get the visa before traveling.
Voyeur

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll have to investigate further. I don't even mind going back to Canada to pick up the Visa and returning, but what I don't want to have happen is trying HK, having them say no, and then also not being able to go back to Canada.
I want to visit some friends now, as I have spare time, and I do prefer to look at the school first in person. I have time and cash enough, and I'm looking for a place where I can spend 2-3 years. So it seems worth it to me.
I also realize the rules may vary from province to province. But at least hearing from anyone who has changed an L visa to a Z visa in HK (or even Thailand) recently would make me more confident and they might have some info. that would provide a good place to start looking.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HK 'L' to 'Z' thing is the Holy Grail of China ESL.
The 'having a look' on an L visa confers benefits on the hiring school too. While much content on Dave's is problematic schools, I can tell you a few stories about teachers. One guy arrived at my school who was functionally blind. Nice guy but hey...
Alcoholics abound and I've seen one or two proselytising missionary types. Sexual predators ditto.
I hope someone comes up with the definitive answer.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can tell you a few stories about teachers. One guy arrived at my school who was functionally blind. Nice guy but hey...
Alcoholics abound and I've seen one or two proselytising missionary types. Sexual predators ditto.

Off topic, but why is this industry riddled with these types?
Blistering Zanazilz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoriginalprankster wrote:
Quote:
I can tell you a few stories about teachers. One guy arrived at my school who was functionally blind. Nice guy but hey...

Off topic, but why is this industry riddled with these types?

Until recently at least, few or no background checks, little or no confirming with character references, able to fool employers into believing they're getting something of value. Do I need to go on? Laughing
Voyeur

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website for the 'embassy' in Hong Kong actually says that only HK residents can apply for visas in HK, and everyone else should apply in their country of residence.
However, I think it has said that forever, meanwhile many people have gone ahead and gotten visas there despite not being permanent HK residents.
I've heard of crackdowns during conferences, etc. Seems like it remains a crapshoot, and if they say no, you'd have to start the process all over again for your home country--and your local PCB might even refuse, out of confusion as to wtf is going on with two Z Visa apps for the same person.
Voyeur

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that the Foreign Ministry in HK website says:

"7, Applicants without HK resident status are required to submit their applications through the Chinese Embassy or consulate office around your resident country. "

However, I think it has always said this, for years. I even got my first Z visa in HK in 2013, despite the website saying this. And a friend of mine just moved provinces and changed Z Visas in Hong Kong.

I love China! (Though, to be fair, it's hardly the only country with inconsistent bureaucracy.)

They are also opening a new Visa processing center soon:

http://www.fmcoprc.gov.hk/eng/fwxx/wgrqz/t1523852.htm

So who knows what that does, if anything. Fun times.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the takeaway message 'don't try it'?
Factoring in a retun visit to say the UK after locating the perfect school by visiting on an L visa is costly and time-consuming.
Far better to be extra rigorous on your checks from home. See the 'Job Offer Checklist' thread.
Voyeur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the time and cash, so I wanted to do some traveling etc. before starting school (and the Z Visa could be processed).
When I looked at what I'd spend in Hong Kong for 2-3 days, and the cost of getting there and back, and compared it to the cost of returning to my home town of Ottawa (where the Chinese Embassy is conveniently located) I decided to just spend an extra $500 and fly home to change Visas.
Much safer. And if something goes wrong, I'm home and not stuck in Hong Kong!
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the job you find, they might pay for the trip to HK for the visa. That is what my current employer did for the three people, including me, who needed to do it this year. One guy ended up needing to go back to NZ, after being rejected in HK, and they paid for that trip, also.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So 2 got visas in HK but one didn't?
Hope it wasn't the fact he was a Kiwi!
Also renewals may be in a different category than first time applications.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
So 2 got visas in HK but one didn't?
Hope it wasn't the fact he was a Kiwi!
Also renewals may be in a different category than first time applications.

He was missing paperwork/or the paperwork was not done properly. I did not pry into it, but something about the paperwork and him needing to go back to NZ to sort it out. The other guy who succeeded is Indian, so it wasn't a nationality thing.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
Depending on the job you find, they might pay for the trip to HK for the visa. That is what my current employer did for the three people, including me, who needed to do it this year. One guy ended up needing to go back to NZ, after being rejected in HK, and they paid for that trip, also.

And surely it is the school/company's responsibility to cover your visa costs and airfare!
I know of several teachers who have had to go to HK to get their Z visa. In all cases the school paid for their travel and accomodation costs (to a limit of course).
I had to do this back in 2014. It was partly my own fault as I accepted my position very late and the school hadn't got the time to issue my Z visa prior to arrival. I went to HK when all of the paperwork was ready. I only needed to stay there for one night then back to SH to convert Z to RP. My company refunded my fight & accomodation costs.
I presumed that this was standard procedure (school covering visa costs)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: