Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kurdistan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayatollah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Kurdistan Reply with quote

Anybody have any recent experience of working in Northern Iraq/Kurdistan?
Mikalina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Kurdistan Reply with quote

ayatollah wrote:
Anybody have any recent experience of working in Northern Iraq/Kurdistan?

Working for which employer?
cartago

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working outside of ESL for over the past year but I do have recent experience in Kurdistan. What's your question(s)?
ttxor1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Northern Iraq / Kurdistan Reply with quote

Pay is around $2500-3500 per month. Students are generally polite but not much different than others in the Gulf. Teaching hours range from 20-25 per week. Western management pretty much leaves teachers to get on with in, local management not so much sometimes. No pay increments health care, accommodation or transportation assistance or end of service gratuity. There is the opportunity to work overtime, though. Many teachers with unrelated degrees and CELTAs.

Hotels are more convenient to stay in (usually around $350-500 per month) and easier to find than one or two bedroom apartments. Furnished apartments are difficult to find and will start around $600 per month. Unfurnished means a kitchen counter only. Electricity is a pain; the city grid is not built to support the current population so places have generators with varying levels of reliability. Buying 3 'amps' at an apartment (don't think its possible at a hotel) cost about $40 a month. That is enough to run a fridge and a TV. Iron and keep the water heater (during the winter -- gets fairly chilly) on while the city power is on. There are places that offer 24 hours of electricity but they will start at around $600 per month.

A few bars can be found and liqour stores are everywhere. Mountain hiking is a great hobby to take up when the weather is nice. No problem with unrelated sexes mingling, but steer clear of local women. Honor killings are well documented in the area. Other than drinking and hiking, there's really not much more to do. Lots of NGOs in the area, so it's good to link up with their groups on facebook to see what's going on.

Yea, going through the Turkish border was a pain. It took about 3 hours, and that was just with one person. Going through Baghdad will incur the $420 fine, unless one has an Iraqi visa. Some employers help out with this and some don't. It is possible to get it in country, but it's pricy to do (rumor was $1000).

Don't know if this answered your question(s).
maqueen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think nomad soul's question is most pertinent.

I literally left 3 weeks ago and have upwards of 3 years experience in region.

There are a host of problems attempting to enter from outside right now and freely exiting has others. Exiting recently at TR border didn't present any problems, but not sure if it was just a one off. My Iqama was still valid.

Electricity problem is HUGE!

ttxor1's pay summary could proably range slightly lower and depending whether public or private would determine if you even receive full payment. By law you are covered with public health care while legally working through employer. Some places provide accomodation others don't. If you need a lot of hand holding it isn't going to be your place. The expat ESL population leaves quite a bit to be desired.
ttxor1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: KRG Reply with quote

I think nomad soul's question is most pertinent.

Nice that you've decided to join the conversation after my post.

I literally left 3 weeks ago and have upwards of 3 years experience in region.

It doesn't take 3 years in the region to give the snapshot that I gave, but kudos for sticking it out that long.

There are a host of problems attempting to enter from outside right now and freely exiting has others. Exiting recently at TR border didn't present any problems, but not sure if it was just a one off. My Iqama was still valid.

Probably should have been clearer. Was exiting. iqama was valid as well, although as the international airports are closed, it's a useless document. Didn't have problems, just took a long time and never want to do it again.

Electricity problem is HUGE!

ttxor1's pay summary could proably range slightly lower and depending whether public or private would determine if you even receive full payment.

Yup, probably true. I was with private, on the higher range of the scale. Wasn't was sabis.

By law you are covered with public health care while legally working through employer.

Nope, not true. depends on the employer

Some places provide accommodation others don't. If you need a lot of hand holding it isn't going to be your place. The expat ESL population leaves quite a bit to be desired.

Agree. Was just giving potential applicants to the area some insight to the area.
Siobhan 22

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Chin up Reply with quote

We can all pile in to the new American University of Baghdad.

First year,so all sorts of flying by the seat of your pants antics can be expected.

Make sure you stock up on blood pressure medication and comfort food.

As Bette Davis didn't exactly say in "All About Eve" - fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: