Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Russia World Cup 2018 - anyone going?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elkotik

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Russia World Cup 2018 - anyone going? Reply with quote

It should be interesting to see how people are going to manage to get from Moscow/St Petersburg to other cities. Especially given the low level of English available in even the two capitals, let alone elsewhere. In particular, Ekaterinburg, Sochi, Rostov-on-Don and Volgograd, all of which are at least 24 hours+ away by train. Of course, flying is going to be preferable.

At least now the Moscow metro has become more Anglicised, but after recently reading these articles about flights:

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/aeroflot-hikes-fares-Russia-world-cup-host-cities-58638

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/airline-fees-to-world-cup-host-cities-skyrockets-59619

Unsurprising, but given the aforementioned lack of English in many places and infrastructure, it should be quite the spectacle to witness.

Anyone planning on going?
twowheel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After hearing that Russia will suspend its visa requirements for ticket holders for the 2018 World Cup, I have considered going.

I applied for a Russian visa to attend a conference in Vladivostok in 2016 but the hoops I had to jump through and the costs I would have had to pay made me nix the visa application process and not attend the conference.

Getting to Russia visa-free could very well be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

I have since reconsidered and will just watch the Cup on television in whatever locale I so happen to be in.

The idea of going to the Cup in Russia is a nice one though. Perhaps I will still reconsider yet again.

Warm regards,
twowheel
elkotik

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twowheel wrote:
I applied for a Russian visa to attend a conference in Vladivostok in 2016 but the hoops I had to jump through and the costs I would have had to pay made me nix the visa application process and not attend the conference.

Agencies massively simplify the process and, depending on the agency, doesn't cost that much more than doing it by oneself.
twowheel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a price, Ugarte. For a price.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I going? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/16/england-fans-2018-world-cup-russia-hooligans

"Russian hooligans warn England fans of ‘festival of violence’ at World Cup 2018"

The Russian hooligans in Marseilles during Euro 2016 were well organised, carried weapons, sober, merciless, and could only have been sending a warning for the WC in Russia, as they've never been particularly violent or focused before. I'd only go if I stayed far away from the football matches, and what's the point in that?
elkotik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the heat of the moment wrote:
Am I going? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/feb/16/england-fans-2018-world-cup-russia-hooligans

"Russian hooligans warn England fans of ‘festival of violence’ at World Cup 2018"

The Russian hooligans in Marseilles during Euro 2016 were well organised, carried weapons, sober, merciless, and could only have been sending a warning for the WC in Russia, as they've never been particularly violent or focused before. I'd only go if I stayed far away from the football matches, and what's the point in that?

You could go just to visit Moscow as a tourist anyway? Smile a lot better than anything you'll ever find in KSA!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elkotik wrote:
You could go just to visit Moscow as a tourist anyway? Smile a lot better than anything you'll ever find in KSA!

Or I could go somewhere nice...
elkotik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't judge a place if you haven't been to it Wink not to mention rich coming from someone who lives in KSA! I previously lived there too so I know exactly what it's like!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elkotik wrote:

You can't judge a place if you haven't been to it Wink not to mention rich coming from someone who lives in KSA! I previously lived there too so I know exactly what it's like!

I have a fair idea of what the Moon is like - do you think I've been?

But I live and work in the KSA, so according to you my opinion of whether other places are appealing to me or not is of no consequence. Brilliant logic, Baldrick.
kev20

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every world cup there is some nonsense about it being dangerous. South Africa and Brazil were the same. Either people are very gullible or they just love buying into hysteria.

Hooliganism will not be a real problem in Russia because the Russian authorities will not be as obliging as the French were, for example. The streets will probably be cleansed of the scum element beforehand. If you think Russia will just let these guys run amuck and embarrass the country on the biggest stage then I think you're mistaken.

You can't prejudge somewhere with any authority before you actually go there, or you can be called out for it. I'd love to go to Moscow, even though the news and propoganda has certainly had an influence over me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense. Choosing not to travel to a WC because of the over-priced tickets, flights, hotels, the disgraceful attitude of the leadership towards minorities and women, its attitude towards fair play and doping, the endemic corruption in FIFA, plus the threats from locals to foreign football supporters, makes not attending a no brainer.

Of course I can prejudge somewhere before going, how the hell are you to decide where to go otherwise? In fact how can you make any decision without forming some judgement beforehand. It's fair to say Russia isn't going to win any human rights or environmental awards any time soon, I'd rather go to a country which doesn't display such aggressive signals.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay at home and watch it on TV. Or stay at home and ignore it. I will go for the second option.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Stay at home and watch it on TV. Or stay at home and ignore it. I will go for the second option.

The last time I watched a WC game I was living in Tabuk, so there was not much else to do! It was in South Africa so all you could hear was the loud buzzing of those infernal vuvuzelas. I might watch if I put an accumulator on several games where it's giant vs. minnow, in the group stages.
Knedliki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather go to a country which doesn't display such aggressive signals.

Says the poster from, Saudi Arabia. Laughing
marcvilaseca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russia is a country that for me has lost all respect due to its lack of tolerance and discrimination. I really like this kind of events but I'm not going to spend my time or my money in a country like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: