Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Options in Poland without a BA degree.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
804_757

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Options in Poland without a BA degree. Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I am looking to teach in Europe this fall. I do not have a BA degree, however I am enrolled in College and taking classes. I will have a TEFL certificate from ITA, (140 hours and 20 classroom hours) and 6 months teaching experience volunteering though a local church's ESL program.

What are my options as far as looking for employment in Poland. Some people have told me to look into Romania or Ukraine until I complete my BA degree. Is it true that I will not be able to get a work visa for Poland (EU) without a degree.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

Doubt you'll get the visa and if anyone does employ you, they'll be very shady. I think you'd be better off elsewhere. Even with a degree and experience, it's generally an express train to living like the fella in 'The Pianist' after a year or two.

Why Poland? Not being an ass, just genuinely want to know why someone spins the globe and puts their finger on the land of hot women and cheap beer?
804_757

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: hmmm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Doubt you'll get the visa and if anyone does employ you, they'll be very shady. I think you'd be better off elsewhere. Even with a degree and experience, it's generally an express train to living like the fella in 'The Pianist' after a year or two.

Why Poland? Not being an ass, just genuinely want to know why someone spins the globe and puts their finger on the land of hot women and cheap beer?

I was looking for countries that would be on the "less desirable" list. If a majority of people want to teach in Spain, Germany, and France, I thought it would be easier to get a job the farther east I go. Im going to look into Hungary and places closer to the Black Sea.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you from? Your passport makes a difference as well. I guess from your use of 'college' that you are likely to be North American, and if so, Western Europe is off limits legally regardless of your qualifications.

In any case, Poland and points east are not 'less desirable,' technically. The pay is approximately commensurate with what people earn in the West of the continent, in terms of what standard of living it will support. And most non-EU teachers aim for Poland, Czech Rep, and etc. since it's the only European region where you can legally work.

Lack of a degree is problematic as there is plenty of competition on the job markets and most people do have at least a BA.
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also extremely difficult. Most schools only employ EU citizens because they can't be bothered with the pile of paperwork it takes to employ non-EU.

I once met a South African while I was in Bydgoszcz and he was finding it impossible, and he had a Degree. He was practically begging for us to give him any private Individuals we didn't want just to get a bit of money in.

As Dragonpiwo said, if you do manage to get a job in Poland without a degree, then expect to work for some dodgy school paying even dodgier money.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: