Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free MA for EU citizens - I just got accepted!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoThomas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck, Simon! Learning for fun and keeping your brain active is really a great idea! I'm supposed to start my online M.Ed focusing in Literacy come September. Never too old to learn something new!
mutedtempest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grattis och lycka till!

As an American who's studied in Sweden before, loans are available for US and UK citizens. Sadly I know of no other aid available to those outside the EU/EEA barring scholariships, and those are fairly rare.

I'm going back to Uppsala this fall, and couldn't be happier. I really hope you enjoy the program, Simon!

And yeah, the policy for EU/EEA students is pretty nice in that they don't need to pay fees. However, they still have to prove they have enough money to support themselves before the Migration Board will let them in. Currently that amount is set to about 8000SEK per month for ten months, about $8,000USD per year.
simon44

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

However, they still have to prove they have enough money to support themselves before the Migration Board will let them in.

Of course, that requirement doesn't apply for the online MA course that I will study - I'm teaching in Myanmar, so no physical study in Sweden.
Shakey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any free doctoral programs in education or applied linguistics for EU citizens in the Scandinavian countries, like Copenhagen, for example? Or any other EU countries.
simon44

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Are there any free doctoral programs in education or applied linguistics for EU citizens in the Scandinavian countries, like Copenhagen, for example? Or any other EU countries.

Do you mean on-campus or online (or either)?

AFAIK, ALL the graduate and post-graduate degree courses are free of tuition fees for EU citizens (who do not have to be living in an EU country).

Therefore, I think that such an on-campus course should exist if you Google for it.

For online post grad degrees, all my searches never turned up an online M. Ed, MA Education, MA Linguistics or MA Tesol course.

The MA course that I've been accepted on is about the most relevant online course in the ecucation sector. I'm studying 'for fun', not for career advancement, and the developing world context of the course is relevant to my teaching in Myanmar.
Shakey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon44 wrote:
Quote:

Do you mean on-campus or online (or either)?

AFAIK, ALL the graduate and post-graduate degree courses are free of tuition fees for EU citizens (who do not have to be living in an EU country).

Therefore, I think that such an on-campus course should exist if you Google for it.

For online post grad degrees, all my searches never turned up an online M. Ed, MA Education, MA Linguistics or MA Tesol course.

Thanks.

Online, preferably. I know, I did a quick search, and found a lot of info on undergrad programs, but nothing for app. ling. or TEFL and education at the doctoral and Master's level.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note...

EL Gazette | Dec-Jan 2018
http://www.elgazette.com/

DENMARK: Admissions to English-medium higher education programmes in Denmark have been cut by 28 per cent, and more restrictions are on the horizon, The Local Denmark reports.

Soren Pind, minister of higher education and research, told the press that cuts were needed because too few international students remain in Denmark to work after graduation. ‘It’s a challenge for us, given that we spend so much money on our education system, that people don’t stay in Denmark and use their qualifications here,’ he said. According to figures from the Ministry of Higher Education and Science, only one in five graduates from business academies and university colleges are working in Denmark two years after graduation.

The minister is now looking into how many graduates from English-medium bachelors and masters programmes stay on. But campaigners say that the reason why graduates decide to leave Denmark is down to strict residency rules. A new regulation was passed in May this year increasing the waiting time for permanent residency to eight years.

(End of article)
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon44 wrote:
But if you want to study an online MA in Irish Gaelic, then you can do this for zero Euro tuition fees Smile

For the craic?
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will any of these options make you more employable ? I fear not. In my experience of recruitment, it is frontline experience in the classroom that counts.
simon44

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Will any of these options make you more employable ? I fear not. In my experience of recruitment, it is frontline experience in the classroom that counts.

In my case, whether or not it makes me more employable is irrelevant Smile I am studying only for 'fun'. I already have a very enjoyable and long-term teaching position in Myanmar.

But I certainly agree that classroom experience carries a lot of weight. Paper qualifications alone don't really prove much...
cormac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:

There are some of us with plenty of classroom experience but not the qualifications to back us up (and without the funds to invest in said qualifications). I'd rather like to get a degree closer to what I'm teaching than my Business/Finance degree.

For those of us without a masters... I'd think any masters would be useful. Probably less useful for the more serious teachers (who would have the relevant qualifications already) on here though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: