Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Updated Mexico Information

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Updated Mexico Information Reply with quote

Hello, everyone. So I've been living and teaching in Colombia for about 2 years now. I am having the time of my life, but I'm getting itchy feet again. It may be time for me to think about my next step. My visa here runs out in May, so I am free to consider a move at that time if I wish.

What's the deal in Mexico these days? If I choose to go there, I'll have 2 years of teaching experience plus a BA in English and a TESOL certification. What kind of work would I be able to get? Where? Can anyone give me a quick rundown of the main cities in Mexico from your perspective as an expat?

I hope you're all still loving Mexico!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18 years on and still loving Mexico...I was just in Colombia actually...Carnaval in Barranquilla. Loved it.

What sort of experience do you have? Schools, language institutes, shouting free English classes at people on the subway Very Happy ?

Mexico has a large number of options for location...

In the large cities of Mexico City, Guadalajara, and Monterrey you have schools and language institutes of all shapes and sizes. Smaller cities with a bit less choice (but still lots) include Puebla, Queretaro, Leon, Cuernavaca, Merida, Los Cabos, Tampico, Aguascalientes, etc, etc, etc...and at least a dozen more.

The beach areas are where it is much tougher to make a go of it as there are fewer schools, lower pay, and often a saturated market of English teachers. Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Puerto Vallarta, for example.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Updated Mexico Information Reply with quote

PittsburghSound wrote:
Hello, everyone. So I've been living and teaching in Colombia for about 2 years now. I am having the time of my life, but I'm getting itchy feet again. It may be time for me to think about my next step. My visa here runs out in May, so I am free to consider a move at that time if I wish.

What's the deal in Mexico these days? If I choose to go there, I'll have 2 years of teaching experience plus a BA in English and a TESOL certification. What kind of work would I be able to get? Where? Can anyone give me a quick rundown of the main cities in Mexico from your perspective as an expat?

I hope you're all still loving Mexico!

There's a lot of different kinds of work you could get. One thing though is they are suited for different people. Private high schools are well paid, with nice hours, but working with those students requires a special person. Company classes, have terrible hours and while offer good hourly rates, your pay may vary week to week. It's not impossible to get a university job with your qualifications, but fewer and fewer schools are offering full time jobs and often require navigating a lot of bureaucracy and office politics.

Mexico has a lot of cities with opportunities, even in smaller places But climate varies greatly so it's better to decide what you are looking for then see what job opportunities that place might have.
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can one get a university job with only a B.A.? I am currently an instructor in my current job. I also taught EFL for six years from 2005-2011.
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Can one get a university job with only a B.A.? I am currently an instructor in my current job. I also taught EFL for six years from 2005-2011.

It's possible, Especially, teaching general English as a required subject to non-English majors.
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
JZer wrote:

It's possible, Especially, teaching general English as a required subject to non-English majors.

Thank you. I am currently an Instructor for the United States government. I am not a certified teacher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: