Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interview in UK with ADVETI - Is It Worth It?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NuestroJuan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Interview in UK with ADVETI - Is It Worth It? Reply with quote

Greetings Teachers,

I've posted here and there at Dave's regarding job opportunities after completing my master's in TESOL in the States. I also got married last summer, and my wife and I moved to Germany, where she works full-time at a university, and I teach freelance.

Not surprisingly, finding full-time work for myself has not been easy here, so I've been feeling around for opportunities in and out of Deutschland. I recently received a job announcement from Desert Recruiting for high school teaching positions with ADVETI in the UAE. I understand Dave's doesn't have a ton of users who participate or have participated in this program, but I really just want to send a message out there to see if traveling to London for an interview is even worth it.

Other opinions may differ, but, to me, the job doesn't look bad on paper. I haven't necessarily been inundated with job offers featuring a $3000+ salary, housing allowance, medical, etc. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.

Still, when snooping around online for reviews on this teaching gig, the feedback ranges from "okay" to "utterly abysmal". Not unlike a lot of jobs out there, some people are happy, and some people are not.

I not only want to make a living, but I also would like to get somewhere professionally and be fulfilled. Like many of you, I've invested in my education and have been teaching for several years (in my case, almost ten).

Therefore, I'd like to know what you all think: Should I fork over the airfare and do the interview, or should I not bother and wait for something else? Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks so much.

NuestroJuan
Londonlover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Interview in UK with ADVETI - Is It Worth It? Reply with quote

NuestroJuan wrote:
Greetings Teachers,

I've posted here and there at Dave's regarding job opportunities after completing my master's in TESOL in the States. I also got married last summer, and my wife and I moved to Germany, where she works full-time at a university, and I teach freelance.

Not surprisingly, finding full-time work for myself has not been easy here, so I've been feeling around for opportunities in and out of Deutschland. I recently received a job announcement from Desert Recruiting for high school teaching positions with ADVETI in the UAE. I understand Dave's doesn't have a ton of users who participate or have participated in this program, but I really just want to send a message out there to see if traveling to London for an interview is even worth it.

Other opinions may differ, but, to me, the job doesn't look bad on paper. I haven't necessarily been inundated with job offers featuring a $3000+ salary, housing allowance, medical, etc. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places.

Still, when snooping around online for reviews on this teaching gig, the feedback ranges from "okay" to "utterly abysmal". Not unlike a lot of jobs out there, some people are happy, and some people are not.

I not only want to make a living, but I also would like to get somewhere professionally and be fulfilled. Like many of you, I've invested in my education and have been teaching for several years (in my case, almost ten).

Therefore, I'd like to know what you all think: Should I fork over the airfare and do the interview, or should I not bother and wait for something else? Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks so much.

NuestroJuan

BIB Have you not read many of the posts on the Gulf threads? It seems that for the vast majority of jobs, getting somewhere professionally and being fulfilled, and working in the Gulf would prove to be complete contradictions.
Many (Most?) People do not go to the Gulf to progress professionally or feel fulfilled. Many (Most?) seem to experience the exact opposite!!!
Most go to the Gulf for the money and the money only and have to put up with spoilt, unmotivated, atrociously behaved, nightmarish students to get that money.... you would be in the lucky minority if you have quals and experience to get into the few places where the students are tolerable.
A foreign university franchise in China might be a more fulfilling route to go down for a high-paying, more rewarding teaching experience.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: my 10 cents Reply with quote

You can have a nice life in the UAE. I've been here a few years with my wife. Financially the package isn't so great but I don't work for them. Offers are way less generous in most cases these days and AD in particular has got mighty expensive. I've spent 20 years in the Middle East and North Africa and can honestly say that if you are looking for enjoyable teaching and recognition, then the Middle East isn't for you. Classroom management is key in these parts and behaviour can be a real issue. I know people who work for ADEC and my old colleague was ex-Adveti, so I've heard the horror stories about spoilt kids and unsupportive management. A lot will depend on the school you are posted to, so that part is a lottery. PM me if you have more specific questions.
NuestroJuan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies. I ended up emailing the recruitment agency and saying that I was not yet ready to pay for the flight to London, since I didn't yet have enough details about the job. I got a reply saying I was still in their files, and I may be considered after they conduct interviews. I'm okay with that at this point.

I may reach out again to get more insight on ADVETI. Thank you all, again.

NuestroJuan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: